Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What options do you now regret not ordering and why?

Have never come across an Insurance Company that offered a reduction for Parking Sensors or Reversing Camera.
Names would be useful?

Just started searching for quotes, one of the websites had a tick box for reversing camera, I'll check which one tomorrow.

A brilliant thread Borris, I had thought I may have perhaps overdone the options on my order, as it was a bit easy to get carried away.
But most posts seem to have backed up my selection, no pun intended but I am more happy now after including the reverse camera.. Thank you.

Can't live without parking sensors now. Although a blow to the ego accepting I'm too old to turn my head 180 degrees any more!

4 motion if it was an option, but no real regrets as I also searched this forum and had excellent help from the dealer

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 07.37.25.jpg

Don't know whats to " Disagree " about that statement !

Try the online quote for The Camping and Caravanning Club.
What reduces the insurance premium significantly is if you have previously owned a camper van. My quote went down from £476 to £307 because I have owned one for more than 4 years,
I have heard in the past that if you put a vehicle in a garage it can increase your premium as you could damage the vehicle on or damage things that are in the garage and make a claim.

Last edited:
Possibly going to regret not having a factory fitted aux. heater but I can always have one retrofitted if it's that essential.

A brilliant thread Borris, I had thought I may have perhaps overdone the options on my order, as it was a bit easy to get carried away.
But most posts seem to have backed up my selection, no pun intended but I am more happy now after including the reverse camera.. Thank you.
What options did you go for?

What options did you go for?

I went for most options in this thread.. My order is in for the Ocean.

Park sensors and camera..
Detach tow bar.
Privacy glass.
Steering wheel (MFSW)
Cruise, (not adaptive as I was not too sure on how it works, a personal choice, I prefer to know how close the vehicle is behind me and adjust my braking to suit accordingly. Rather than an electronic device decide) . But I do think the idea is good and would certainly take stress out of long and busy motorway drives.
I have just thought.. I think it can be switched off... Hmmmm

Mud flaps
Alacantara

I did go for those extra key fobs as well, £50 seemed like a no brainier to me...
(In saying that I don't think I have ever lost a set of car keys.. )

The 6.33 screen radio - so I could have the app connect option too.
Then this would allow me to use iPad or phone for satnav source. Also it will future proof the entertainment system to some extent as many other apps can or will be available too..
This setup will also work with none iPhone, you can use android as well I believe.
The cost of the satnav supplied system being a bit expensive and restrictive.
Also from experience you don't have safety camera locations on German satnav systems... My little BMW is similar.. Not sure but I think they may have a law about camera locations. Perhaps someone else may have more info on this.

I did have to check myself as you can get carried away, and as someone has already mentioned, the waiting time for the vehicle to arrive does give more deep thinking and justification time for adding more expense to an already life changing sum of pennies....

Just started searching for quotes, one of the websites had a tick box for reversing camera, I'll check which one tomorrow.

I would be interested on how you get on with your search as I have yet to do the same.
Maybe you could post your findings on the insurance thread?

Detach tow bar.
Privacy glass.
Steering wheel (MFSW)
Cruise, (not adaptive as I was not too sure on how it works, a personal choice, I prefer to know how close the vehicle is behind me and adjust my braking to suit accordingly. Rather than an electronic device decide) . But I do think the idea is good and would certainly take stress out of long and busy motorway drives.

Mud flaps
Alacantara

I did go for those extra key fobs as well, £50 seemed like a no brainier to me...

Then this would allow me to use iPad or phone for satnav source. Also it will future proof the entertainment system to some extent as many other apps can or will be available too..
This setup will also work with none iPhone, you can use android as well I believe.
Also from experience you don't have safety camera locations on German satnav systems... My little BMW is similar.. Not sure but I think they may have a law about camera locations. Perhaps someone else may have more info on this.

I did have to check myself as you can get carried away, and as someone has already mentioned, the waiting time for the vehicle to arrive does give more deep thinking and justification time for adding more expense to an already life changing sum of pennies....

Extra Key Fobs ??? My sentiment exactly 'I don't think I have ever lost a set of car keys' However i am sat on the fence at the moment, 'do i, don't i' , add them to the order. I think you get two key fobs and one fixed key, my line of thought was;- getting another fixed key cut if needed. is this just another unnecessary extra?

Extra Key Fobs ??? My sentiment exactly 'I don't think I have ever lost a set of car keys' However i am sat on the fence at the moment, 'do i, don't i' , add them to the order. I think you get two key fobs and one fixed key, my line of thought was;- getting another fixed key cut if needed. is this just another unnecessary extra?

Move over on the fence.... Laffin..

I just looked at it as a bit of insurance in the end... Hate to think what it would cost from the dealer at a later date also the possible inconvenience..

If it makes me feel more comfortable because I have it... Then you can't put a cost on that....

Detach tow bar.
Privacy glass.
Steering wheel (MFSW)

Mud flaps
Alacantara

Hello Shadrack,
It sounds like you have put together a lovely vehicle. We bought an ex demo SE 180 dsg 4 motion last October. Ours has a very similar spec and the price did make us wince. However now we have enjoyed it for a few months the feeling of utter madness for spending that much has changed to one of sheer smug satisfaction.
We were out in it yesterday enjoying a bright sunny drive in the Kent and East Sussex countryside. Why? because we could. Its lovely to drive and the pleasure of just stopping somewhere picturesque, popping the aux heater and kettle on and just sitting there in well equipped luxury whilst guzzling tea and scoffing fruit cake makes it all worthwhile. Superb!
Anyway, I read some where in one of the many reviews that for the price of a Cali you could have twenty or so foreign holidays. That is probably true but what the article failed to mention is that once you have finished enjoying the Cali life style you can sell it and probably enjoy very nearly as many foriegn holidays with the proceeds. So enjoy and don't worry.

Hello Shadrack,
It sounds like you have put together a lovely vehicle. We bought an ex demo SE 180 dsg 4 motion last October. Ours has a very similar spec and the price did make us wince. However now we have enjoyed it for a few months the feeling of utter madness for spending that much has changed to one of sheer smug satisfaction.
We were out in it yesterday enjoying a bright sunny drive in the Kent and East Sussex countryside. Why? because we could. Its lovely to drive and the pleasure of just stopping somewhere picturesque, popping the aux heater and kettle on and just sitting there in well equipped luxury whilst guzzling tea and scoffing fruit cake makes it all worthwhile. Superb!
Anyway, I read some where in one of the many reviews that for the price of a Cali you could have twenty or so foreign holidays. That is probably true but what the article failed to mention is that once you have finished enjoying the Cali life style you can sell it and probably enjoy very nearly as many foriegn holidays with the proceeds. So enjoy and don't worry.

Hi Borris,
Thanks for that.... Brilliant!
You said one thing that sticks out in your post.... 'Why? Because we could'
That really sums up my hopes and expectations....

I think this forum contains some of the nicest people in the world..

Pretty lucky that our ex-demo has quite a good spec, but I do miss not having auto lights and auto wipers. It sounds really lazy, but when every other car you drive has that feature you do end up driving around with your lights off. Made worse when you have DRLs so you can see where you are going, but the rear lights are off....
When we picked ours up we drove for about an hour wondering what was wrong with the lights until we realised that thye weren't automatic! Then it was a little while before we found the archaic dial on the dash....
Also love auto wipers, no more fiddling to get the intermittent just right.

Get a £12 surf key cut and keep somewhere safe on your van (externally) or person and hide the spare fob internally within the van.

But for £50 extra you can have two extra fully functioning spare fobs, at that price I wouldn't be adverse to swimming with one in protective pouch & leaving one in the safe if it got wet & drowned the electrics it wouldn't be the end of the world as the actual "key" would still open the door. Or even dismantle one & take just the Metal key part as a surf key.

But for £50 extra you can have two extra fully functioning spare fobs, at that price I wouldn't be adverse to swimming with one in protective pouch & leaving one in the safe if it got wet & drowned the electrics it wouldn't be the end of the world as the actual "key" would still open the door. Or even dismantle one & take just the Metal key part as a surf key.

Hi Guys,
Think we have done the extra keys or not to death here.. It is definitely seems a personal choice. I have ordered a couple of spare fobs,
The negative if not careful with lots of spare fobs around is that one day someone else could discover... .
I like the idea of a surf key on a piece of string or something, for swimming etc...

Back