Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's not original in your California

T

TripleBee

Vehicle
N/A
Just wondering what was broken/worn, and is replaced by something not bought at VW.
So no accessories, but things that came originally with your California, but needed replacement for some kind of reason.

Let's start with mine!

1: Replaced my RCD 310 by a Chinese Android system. I now have navigation on board for a 6th of the price.
2: Replaced the left hydraulic cylinder of the sagging hydraulic roof by a cylinder from Poland. Had to be original, and looks original, but I have some doubts. Didn't fix the problem.
3: Replaced my right front fog light due to a broken glass by a stone. Got one from Poland for €10, instead of over €100 from VW.
4: Needed new brake pads on the rear. Replaced by some from Ferrodo from Auto5.
5: Was bored with the look of the halogen footwell lights. Replaced by Chinese LED's. (the lights in the California covers)

I think that is about it.
All the rest was replaced by original parts. (Hmm this looks like I had to change that much already...)

So how about yours?

Kitchen shelf with hooks.
Had a new top on the fridge but think its vw.
New back window
Sidebars

Replaced the upholstery with leather. The front fog lights with LED bulbs and the winter wheels with cheap alloys fitted with winter tyres.

Added a night heater 240v hookup with 3 sockets and pull out drawer for the boot

I will soon need to replace the headlights that are burned in quite heavily. Hard to find good ones.
Foglights - one melted already because I used them... Will probably change them for Foglight with LED bulbs or real DRL
RCD 310 switched for an Alpine iLX 700. Music and nav via iPhone (CarPlay)
Front brakes (disc and pads) from Brembo
For the rest, I tend to use original parts - like a refurbished VW automatic gearbox :(

The Westfalia dealer that imported my ex demo Beach from Germany sold it to me with a Parking air heater, but it turned out to be the upgraded programable coolant heater. Even they didn't notice the difference until I asked for a demonstration on pick up, having spent quite a bit of time investigating the topic. My interest was caught by the laughably impenetrable descriptions on the VW configurator. They installed a Webasto air heater without charge. After studying what each one does, I love having both. Each one has its distinct uses and advantages.

Back