Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's the best mattress topper at a reasonable price for downstairs?

hebethomas

hebethomas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
We are newbies - need a mattress topper for downstairs - we have tried out camping therma-rests but they moved around too much so need a double - any suggestions please. Not int he league of spending £300 for the top quality ones! Many thanks.

I am only on my own but a cheap alternative is an oversized single airbed that fits the space almost perfectly.

I used a VW comfort mattress but wanted the rear backboard on a higher setting than that allowed. I hear wonderful things about zone sleep.

I am only on my own but a cheap alternative is an oversized single airbed that fits the space almost perfectly.

I used a VW comfort mattress but wanted the rear backboard on a higher setting than that allowed. I hear wonderful things about zone sleep.
thanks for that- just need to sort soonest as going away soon and not convinced about memory foam and if i will get too hot!

I used aerobed, they often have a half-price sale on and some of their singles are the size of a small double. They also supply a pump that plugs into a handy 12v socket and inflates in about 30 seconds flat, quicker than it takes me to extricate my tightly packed duvet out of it's carry bag. Bonus is that they take up comparatively a lot less room when deflated.

Downside is they take up more height when inflated so be a little careful sitting up in bed otherwise a head to overhead locker collision is inevitable :shocked

We recently got a comfortz one from Nick and it was a great nights sleep, plus it fits perfectly on the multiflex.

I would also recommend the comfortz one. We bought ours 4 years ago when we first got the Cali and it has been brilliant ever since. Nick made us a non-memory foam one as I find that memory foam is too "hot"!

We like the option to sleep outside (desert trips), in the drive away tent or inside so we have a "Wrapsac" we made (and a few for friends) that has a canvas zip up cover, an airmesh to stop condensation, a 3" memory foam topper and our double sleeping bag. It is very quick to roll out and unzip.
Rolled up it can go behind the back seat.
IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0278.jpg IMG_0267.jpg

We have the Comfortz one too so another thumbs up. Nick even made up a thinner pad for the rear shelf to replace the standard VW item so we could use it in its higher setting and so maximise the storage underneath

We like the option to sleep outside (desert trips), in the drive away tent or inside so we have a "Wrapsac" we made (and a few for friends) that has a canvas zip up cover, an airmesh to stop condensation, a 3" memory foam topper and our double sleeping bag. It is very quick to roll out and unzip.
View attachment 13403 View attachment 13404 View attachment 13405
That looks perfect. Quite fancy that idea. We are going to be just two in our Ocean with option to be uptop or in the bottom on VW comfort mattress. Something like this that zips and rolls up and fits on top of the comfort mattress would be great. Presuming you had the zip up part made and configured the rest yourselves.?

That looks perfect. Quite fancy that idea. We are going to be just two in our Ocean with option to be uptop or in the bottom on VW comfort mattress. Something like this that zips and rolls up and fits on top of the comfort mattress would be great. Presuming you had the zip up part made and configured the rest yourselves.?
Yes, I designed the cover with its integrated straps and heavy duty zip and have the design lodged with our local tent manufacturer. It also has some small pockets on the side to put some spring poles in to support a mozzie net when outside..

Try dragging the mattress from upstairs and try that to start with.

View attachment 13403 View attachment 13404 View attachment 13405

That looks alot like the Duvalay Sleeping bags that we use downstairs which we find to be excellent.

Ikea has perfect cheap mattress toppers. Not the most compact but a great night's sleep.

Plus - have a look at the folding Futon mattresses - cheap compact and comfy ........ so say

we recently got the memory foam topper from comfortz makes such a difference to the sleep. easily stored away on top of rear shelf when not in use. worth the money.

We are newbies - need a mattress topper for downstairs - we have tried out camping therma-rests but they moved around too much so need a double - any suggestions please. Not int he league of spending £300 for the top quality ones! Many thanks.
Someone has a comfortz one for sale at the moment on this forum.

We just use an old synthetic single duvet in a cover, & lie on that with a nice duvet on top. Works ok. We generally prefer to sleep 'upstairs' though as less fuss.

My advice is to avoid the expense of a fitted mattress topper. We bought a standard double memory foam mattress topper for £50. It is too wide for our Cali and originally we intended to trim it to size. However, the wider foam curls up the sides of the van and effectively blocks out the cold air from below that inevitably finds its way into you. Our topper is covered in a filled cotton sheet which is easily removed for washing. Job done!

I are dumb; who is Nick?

Nick is at comfortz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for Ikea - i bought a "Tuddal" mattrestopper 120x200x5 cm for DKK 499 - ca GBP 50. It´s perfect on the roofbed and working wery well at the lower bed despite it beeing 5 cm too wide...

I have stitched a 'sheeting bag' in cotton cloth that fits perfect - easy to roll for packing on the rear shelf

Yes, I designed the cover with its integrated straps and heavy duty zip and have the design lodged with our local tent manufacturer. It also has some small pockets on the side to put some spring poles in to support a mozzie net when outside..

Wow! Looks great! Congratulations!

Ha
+1 for Ikea - i bought a "Tuddal" mattrestopper 120x200x5 cm for DKK 499 - ca GBP 50. It´s perfect on the roofbed and working wery well at the lower bed despite it beeing 5 cm too wide...

I have stitched a 'sheeting bag' in cotton cloth that fits perfect - easy to roll for packing on the rear shelf
Have you ever tried leaving this topper on the rooftop AND lowered the roof?

We have a Comfortz memory foam topper and a made to measure 3 inch memory foam topper. We didn't find the first one comfortable enough so we had the other one made . It cost £200 . However we didn't use it more than a hand full of times as we preferred sleeping above. Last November we had our Cali stolen and we still have these two mattresses. We live in Leicestershire and you can have these 2 mattresses free. We have now bought a different camper van and they are no longer any use to us. We also have a bike rack without a key. Free also. Vanessa Moore.

Back