Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wheel removal!

And don’t forget.

DONT apply any copper grease / grease / polish / oil / coffee / any liquid
To the wheel bolt threads.

They need to be dry.
The 180Nm of torque stretches them slightly to apply the correct level of torque to hold your wheel to hub.
And go around the bolts twice.
Tighten up on slight opposites of the facing bolts.
So 1, 9, 5, 11 & 7 on a clock face.
Then go around again.

That’s my five pennies worth. :)

But all sound advice so as you can deal with a puncture at the side of the road.
I heard the locking nuts can be 150Nm

And don’t forget.

DONT apply any copper grease / grease / polish / oil / coffee / any liquid
To the wheel bolt threads.

They need to be dry.
The 180Nm of torque stretches them slightly to apply the correct level of torque to hold your wheel to hub.
And go around the bolts twice.
Tighten up on slight opposites of the facing bolts.
So 1, 9, 5, 11 & 7 on a clock face.
Then go around again.

That’s my five pennies worth. :)

But all sound advice so as you can deal with a puncture at the side of the road.
I heard the locking nuts can be 150Nm
Agree. My issues are that correctly torqued up by hand to 180 Nm the bolts can be undone with an 18” or longer bar and socket. As soon as you try to use an angled head wrench or the VW supplied one (which I have to stand on and use my body weight as I no longer have the upper body strength to loosen them) the force is being applied at an obtuse angle to the centre line of the bolt rather than 90 degs. and often comes off the bolt head particularly if you are using the locking wheel nut adapter or you have to use leg power/body weight to slacken the bolt
If a garage has been at your wheels with an air powered impact gun I don’t know what they think they have set them to but I always find they are much tighter even shortly after fitting when I remove them to re torque and clean off the glue reside/backing from any discarded balance weights.

When I posted the original chat I was hoping this wouldn’t descend into yet another “wheel bolt torque “ nightmare! Inevitable!
You knew it would happen :)

Very easily solved with a minute film application of anti seize paste on the hub ring and on the wheel rear face 5 contact points.

After reading this thread I booked my T6.1 Ocean in to local tyre shop to remove an refit wheels in line with the VW Transporter owner manual recommendation (fronts to back every 2 years if you aren't doing much mileage). I'm glad I did. The lad who did the wheel swap said they were a complete pig to remove. However he said he cleaned up the contact surfaces and applied anti-seize compound to avoid a similar battle in future, but warned this is still only likely to keep things easy for next 6-12 months. He also commented on the poor connection of the anti-theft wheel nut adaptor and said it needed a lot of lateral force to keep the adaptor in contact with the nut when loosening and tightening. He recommended replacing these with standard wheel nuts as he reckoned you are more likely nowadays to have your catalytic converter nicked than your alloys!! So I will be doing this. Big shout out to ETB Autocentres in Bude great service.

Back