Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where did you go on your first adventure in your Cali & what did you learn?

Julesa

Julesa

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
49D39DF2-D6B5-44B1-8D74-8D5B05BB1FD0.jpeg We took Vinny away to the Cotswolds for 2 nights over Christmas.
We learnt we only needed the heating on number 1 overnight & we needed to take time to think things through & not to panic when things weren’t going to plan! The second night was far more relaxing, can’t wait till our next night away (should be tonight but been under the weather).
TIP: test out how to disable the interior alarm when you are not on a club site :)

200 miles to lands end and the most important lesson learnt was to read the handbook :(

Especially coming home 4 days later in thick fog trying to turn the fog lights on :sad

Good morning,

The fist "outing" was to Northern Ireland for two nights.

What we learned that a good "workflow" from "day setup" to "night setup" is important, improve and organize packing, review what is in the van (and take less), the dog was not very comfortable with the camping (didn't eat or wuff for the two days :( ).

I also learned that camping sites might not be in the way I had in mind (I have no camping experience I hast to say). So I have to learn to accept that (at least in peak times) camping sites can be "crowed" and therefore busy and loud.

Regards,
Eberhard

5 nights in London, Crystal Palace site. Left the heater on for 5 days so that on our return each day Van was toasty warm, but G&T was chilled.

More is Less and just Chillout.

Best Lifestyle decision ever made.

Our first trip was a weekend off season next to the lake in Biel/Bienne with my mum and her motorhome.

Mistake #1 We didn‘t turn the heater on because we thought it was too loud.
#2 we didn‘t bring enough duvets with us only sleepingbags

But I/we knew from the first moment that was&is our/my lifestyle. Best choice ever (thingwise/carwise)!

We took womble to eskdale on a camping trip which had already pre booked with tent before we knew our collection date. It was literally one day after collecting when we went so we did our normal camping thing and slept in womble.

Gave us a gentle introduction to Cali life as we literally had no idea about anything....first thing we learn was how to lock the van in the night without the alarm going off !!

We stayed 5 nights so had time to get used to opening and closing roof, removing electric hook up, bed up and bed down etc.

We have now refined our packing into storage boxes to suit Cali when compared to standard tent camping!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

We hired Cali for an out of season weekend and went to an up-market site near Reading for one night and a pub back garden in Wiltshire for the second night. (Some of us were cycling the Kennet and Avon Canal.)

We had previously always tent-camped. The Cali was warm, comfortable and fun. Compared with our Discovery it wasn't any bigger and was much more economical! We learned that my daughter's electric wheelchair can fit under the bed. But we also learned that with that space fully utilised, the much quoted "less is more" mantra was even more appropriate!

We learned that we wanted one of our own and bought an almost identical twin to the one we had hired.

When our own Cali eventually arrived (somewhat earlier than expected), it was just (by a few days) in time for a summer trip to the South of France and although we had already booked a house to stay in, we took the Cali anyway. We had to re-book the Chunnel crossing times and ended up making the crossing in the middle of the night. And immediately took advantage of one of the Aires not too far from Calais. We had cancelled our motel stopover and stayed on a campsite on the way down and back again two weeks later. We stayed on the same Aire before making a very (very) early morning return crossing. So we discovered the convenience of the AIre network and enjoyed a very pleasant French campsite stopover.

Daytrips in France with the added bonus of on-board hob, water and fridge were much enjoyed. We learned that if you are going to throw up as a result of dehydration (don't ask), the on-board washing up bowl is a very handy receptacle.

We learned that my daughter's electric wheelchair can conveniently be strapped to a couple of cargo hooks fixed into the floor, freeing up a lot of space under the bed.

We learned it can very warm indeed at night in a campervan with four occupants in France in the summer and we slept on the campsite on the return journey with the sliding door open.

Overall, we learned that we were glad we hadn't waited any longer before getting a Cali.

My first outing in Velma was to the island of Cumbrae in the Firth of Clyde, to stay in for a few days at a training event.

Learning? All my colleagues (who were sleeping in tents) hated me. Until I shared some 'supplies' out of the Cali fridge. :happy

My first two nights were in January 2017 in -8C camping at a heritage railway station. Lessons were same as yours (you don't need the heating on more than 1 even in deep frost) and just how marvellous it is to wake up in a Cali.

Also learnt how to park my shoes on the sliding door step to avoid getting lots of the outside inside on the main cabin carpet!

We went to Mortonhall caravan park on Friday, very much learning on the spot.

Electric hook up cable wasn't right type or long enough....just bought one from on-site shop ka-ching....

Heater works brilliantly and no higher than level 2 needed....

Don't wake up the neighbours! Still worried about correct procedure for locking doors then pressing button inside to disable sensors?

Don't party party party! Use moderation or your missus will have to christen the sink.... :Depressed

Still loved it and looking forward to going away again on best behaviour ;)

View attachment 40674 We took Vinny away to the Cotswolds for 2 nights over Christmas.
We learnt we only needed the heating on number 1 overnight & we needed to take time to think things through & not to panic when things weren’t going to plan! The second night was far more relaxing, can’t wait till our next night away (should be tonight but been under the weather).
TIP: test out how to disable the interior alarm when you are not on a club site :)
Ireland, New Year 2017. The leisure heater is excellent!

Three nights at Exmoor House, Dulverton - still one of our favourite local sites. The thing we found out about our first trip is that we took far too much stuff!

We went to Mortonhall caravan park on Friday, very much learning on the spot.

Electric hook up cable wasn't right type or long enough....just bought one from on-site shop ka-ching....

Heater works brilliantly and no higher than level 2 needed....

Don't wake up the neighbours! Still worried about correct procedure for locking doors then pressing button inside to disable sensors?

Don't party party party! Use moderation or your missus will have to christen the sink.... :Depressed

Still loved it and looking forward to going away again on best behaviour ;)
Just out of interest what length extension cable did you get?
Thanks

Just out of interest what length extension cable did you get?
Thanks
I believe it was 10 metres cost £40. Thought I'd take the hit rather than heading out to another outdoor shop a few miles away.
We got a short two pin European cable with the campervan and I'd bought a normal extension drum and adapters before heading out on our journey. They wouldn't have worked either way.
20190118_145721.jpg

Notice my neat and tidy coil under the wheel arch. :thumb

Our first trip in Colin was two nights at Graffham.
We learned
1. When sleeping down stairs and you want a cup of tea in bed remember to get everything out the night before.
2. When sleeping upstairs hold on to your pillow (only lost mine twic).. To get round this put the pillow in your Duvalay (if you have one). Not had a problem since.

Back