Your first time! What did you do?

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello All!!

So gone and orderd my Candy white Beach and placed a deposit so now its just the waiting game (approx 4-5 months build time). I can honestly say I havent felt this excited for years!!!!!

So my question to you all is; What's the first thing you did/ or went to when you received your Cali?

From checking something to just driving off in the sunset, would love to hear your stories as it just fuels my excitement.

(PS You really are a great lot and would love to meet you all on a Cali meet one day. I have been asking questions for over a year now and the wisdom, knowledge and genuine passion you all have shared has played such a main factor in me buying one, so thank you!!!)

I picked Albert up on the monday and I spent all of Monday afternoon admiring it and putting stuff in it including bedding.

Tuesday morning I thought I would spend most of the day reading the handbook and finding out how everything works.

A strange, weird compulsion then came over me :shocked

Tuesday evening I found myself sat in it 275 miles from home on a CL near Lands End .... reading the handbook and finding out how everything works :D

I picked Albert up on the monday and I spent all of Monday afternoon admiring it and putting stuff in it including bedding.

Tuesday morning I thought I would spend most of the day reading the handbook and finding out how everything works.

A strange, weird compulsion then came over me :shocked

Tuesday evening I found myself sat in it 275 miles from home on a CL near Lands End .... reading the handbook and finding out how everything works :D
Hahahaa Absolutely love that!!!!

I picked mine up from SMG Tonbridge which ensured a decent amount of traveling home but less than 10 minutes into the journey I was petrified.
A narrow road with a stone wall either side if I recall correctly and working vans coming the opposite way, At one point the only way to pass was with the mirrors folded in and the van coming the other way wasn't showing the patience i required to remember how to retract them. I just managed it and the other driver could see the horror on my face. I think he twigged eventually and half laughed with me and half laughed at me. The rest was easy enough but in the cruel winter we had I sat in it and played with stuff for the odd night only using it for commuting.

I picked mine up from SMG Tonbridge which ensured a decent amount of traveling home but less than 10 minutes into the journey I was petrified.
A narrow road with a stone wall either side if I recall correctly and working vans coming the opposite way, At one point the only way to pass was with the mirrors folded in and the van coming the other way wasn't showing the patience i required to remember how to retract them. I just managed it and the other driver could see the horror on my face. I think he twigged eventually and half laughed with me and half laughed at me. The rest was easy enough but in the cruel winter we had I sat in it and played with stuff for the odd night only using it for commuting.
Sounds a scsry moment!! I will be the same, i have NEVER even drove an automatic but getting a DWG version so will be a whole new experience for me as well

It is just about 6y ago now when i collected my T5 SE , drove straight home turned out the wind-out awning on the drive and took table/chairs out ....we sat there dreaming of where this nice verhicle would take us ....
Now we done more then a dozen countries and many plans ahead .

I think the first sleep we had in it was somewhere in Holland .

It is just about 6y ago now when i collected my T5 SE , drove straight home turned out the wind-out awning on the drive and took table/chairs out ....we sat there dreaming of where this nice verhicle would take us ....
Now we done more then a dozen countries and many plans ahead .

I think the first sleep we had in it was somewhere in Holland .

Sounds absolutely amazing!!!

Picked up the T5.1 SE and couldn't believe I owned one. Quick call to the previous owner on the way home to tell me how to open the fuel cap (what do you mean, open the passenger door?) and was stoked to have it outside the house.

Next day was a trip to Luton downs to pop open the roof and have a cup of coffee using the new collapsable kettle!! loved how we sat in the van and strangers came and talked to us / had a look inside.

The following weekend went over to Thetford Forest for the first overnighter with plenty of rookie mistakes but absolutely fell in love...

Drove down a scary M6 from Preston to Warrington Ikea and with tape measure in hand got a load of inexpensive bits and bobs to suit new camper lifestyle (use search 'Ikea' on this site to find lots of goodies).
First night away at small Llangollen site on canal behind Eisteddfod field.
As I write waiting for posponed ferry home after four weeks in France.

The first thing we did was to buy second skin seat covers. Everything else is frippery!

The first thing we did was to buy second skin seat covers. Everything else is frippery!
OK.....so tell us about your frippery addiction instead then :D

OK.....so tell us about your frippery addiction instead then :D

It is like an addiction buying stuff for your van!

You have to sort of have a go in it a few times and buy the things that work for you. This forum is good for checking out reviews- but it’s all about what works with your setup, expectations and budget.

So Camp Dave has shelves in the cupboard, the interior brandrup insulation topper and the outdoor revolution classic drive-away awning. Thats probably the most useful stuff/frippery.

But technically the first thing we did was go to France for two weeks. The van only just came in time! (With 2 children the second skin was very handy)

Th awning was a must for two weeks- just somewhere to put everything.

So Camp Dave has shelves in the cupboard, the interior brandrup insulation topper and the outdoor revolution classic drive-away awning. Thats probably the most useful stuff/frippery.
Thats more like it :)

I picked up our Ocean two weeks ago and during my lunch break I went shopping for some food while my better half took the kids to IKEA to buy a few things like storage boxes and plates.

Then we took off north, boarded a boat and had a great evening on a small island not too far away. We got a chance to try things out while visiting good friends for a nice BBQ in the evening.

All sounds amazing!!

Let the adventures commence!

After some troubles collecting it due to the registrations issue, we collected out Cali. The same day we drove straight to Hull for some pre-booked ferry tickets. On the phone with the port most of the way persuading them to keep the doors open, and we were the last ones on board with seconds to spare.

Straight into Europe, and around Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany and the Netherlands.

No need to overthink it, just enjoy it!

Let the adventures commence!

After some troubles collecting it due to the registrations issue, we collected out Cali. The same day we drove straight to Hull for some pre-booked ferry tickets. On the phone with the port most of the way persuading them to keep the doors open, and we were the last ones on board with seconds to spare.

Straight into Europe, and around Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany and the Netherlands.

No need to overthink it, just enjoy it!

Sounds amazing?!!

Sounds amazing?!!
The nice thing about the van is that just doing an overnighter is feasible.

A couple of times this year we’ve packed light and headed away for just one night. We went to Edale, Peak District - which was really nice and, living in Stockport, it’s only 40ish mins away. Feels like you’ve done something with your weekend.

Our first outing in ‘Oscar’ was a wild camping trip to Schiehallion in Highland Perthshire. That was just over a year ago. After several weekend trial runs in Scotland, in January we set off on our grand tour around Europe. We started with the North Coast 500 in the second week of January - madness, but we wanted to check everything was functioning before we left Scotland. We then drove down through England, ferry to Santander and have so far toured Spain, Portugal, Italy (including round tour of Sicily), ferry to Dubrovnik, up through Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Denmark, ferry to Faroes and Iceland, back to Denmark, Sweden and Norway. We have just left Lofotens and on ferry from Senja to Tromso. We still consider ourselves ‘beginners’, but hopefully by the end of our trip we will have worked out how best to live in a Cali! There are challenges at times, but the overall experience has been amazing. Little did we know a year ago that we would be doing this!

Our first outing in ‘Oscar’ was a wild camping trip to Schiehallion in Highland Perthshire. That was just over a year ago. After several weekend trial runs in Scotland, in January we set off on our grand tour around Europe. We started with the North Coast 500 in the second week of January - madness, but we wanted to check everything was functioning before we left Scotland. We then drove down through England, ferry to Santander and have so far toured Spain, Portugal, Italy (including round tour of Sicily), ferry to Dubrovnik, up through Croatia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Germany, Denmark, ferry to Faroes and Iceland, back to Denmark, Sweden and Norway. We have just left Lofotens and on ferry from Senja to Tromso. We still consider ourselves ‘beginners’, but hopefully by the end of our trip we will have worked out how best to live in a Cali! There are challenges at times, but the overall experience has been amazing. Little did we know a year ago that we would be doing this!
I can’t wait to retire- you are living my dream. Just 15 years to go!

It’s just myself who’s retired. My 60 year old husband has just taken a ‘gap year’ off work. He decided if our three boys had done it, so could he! Although not sure he’ll want to go back after this adventure - I fear it’s infectious!

Dear @H Marriage, wow, what an amzing advneture, makes me want my cali more, hurry up vw, sigh, still 4 months left :-( Got any good photos of your cali on this adventure! Any options you wished you had got?

Back