Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do I put the Spare Safe on a 23 Plate Cali Ocean, with tow bar ready attachments?

A

AMP8

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, newby question: can anyone who knows please help me with this question about where to put the Spare Safe? On my last Cali, I just put it on the lock on wheel nut. On this one, I have this, presumably for the tow bar. Can I still put the SpareSafe on? Many thanks in advance.

IMG_6347.jpeg

IMG_6343.jpeg

IMG_6344.jpeg

IMG_6350.jpeg

you put it where the instructions state !
there is one captive bolt , one that you can fully remove .

Fully remove the right hand bolt and fit the SS security bolt and shroud

edit; picture added - post again if it is not clear how to fit

C97118A0-EA44-45E4-9741-F619A3118D53.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my set up, with the tow hook removed, as I don't need it, but the spare safe fits easily with tow hook in placec3b2fea3-8207-4e79-84b5-e4e389b8d0f7.jpeg

This is my set up, with the tow hook removed, as I don't need it, but the spare safe fits easily with tow hook in placeView attachment 117276
You have managed to completely negate the benefit of the sparesafe fitting it like that. The head of bolt is exposed ready for anyone to grip with a pair of molegrips.
The head of the bolt needs to be hidden in the recess in the sparesafe so it can’t be gripped. It needs to be fitted as per perfectos picture.

The tow bar should have no effect the spare safe
So I agree but why does the club shop state this on the spare safe advert?
  • Can not be used with a tow bar as bolt fouls towbar.
I’ve just today fitted a spare wheel and bracket to my Cali; I have a spare safe from a previous van but didn’t think to fit it because of this statement although I can’t see why it wouldn’t work?

And another related question. I bought the bracket from a converter who had cut it off a new van. The 2 metal spacers provided were different lengths, one a cm or so shorter than the other. When fitting I can’t see any reason why they should be different lengths, and if They are both meant to b3 the same length then it’s not clear whether they should both be the longer or shorter version. Phot attached - does anyone know?

IMG_4917.jpeg

You have managed to completely negate the benefit of the sparesafe fitting it like that. The head of bolt is exposed ready for anyone to grip with a pair of molegrips.
The head of the bolt needs to be hidden in the recess in the sparesafe so it can’t be gripped. It needs to be fitted as per perfectos picture.
Indeed. The whole point is the spare safe goes around the arm of the wheel bracket with a recess below it, then the bolt is recessed within the sparesafe body making it extremely difficult to remove in-situ.

Indeed. The whole point is the spare safe goes around the arm of the wheel bracket with a recess below it, then the bolt is recessed within the sparesafe body making it extremely difficult to remove in-situ.
I found the protecting metal cap for the lock bolt a bit of a pain (easy enough to put on but fiddly to remove, and imagined in a few years on a dark wet night it could be even more difficult) and found these instead:

sourcing map 5pcs Rubber End Caps 25mm(1-inch) ID Vinyl Round Tube Bolt Cap Cover Thread Protectors Red https://amzn.eu/d/adIWjRk

They fit and stay perfectly into the bolt recess and are easier to remove with a screwdriver.

As it happens they also perfectly fit over the water filler cap at the back if either a ventilating one or ( as mine) you have drilled it to ventilate.

Link to water filler cap post:

Post in thread 'Fresh water tank vent?'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fresh-water-tank-vent.46037/post-657965

Last edited:
Back