Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do you find a good used Cali?

VWCoastbusters

VWCoastbusters

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all. The OH and I are in the market for a used Cali (probably at least 5 years old). Obviously there is this site, which is great, but I just wondered where else you would look? As newbies to the world of campervanning, just thought I'd ask for some advice.
Thanks

One of four places in the UK.

Here.

Autotrader.

Ebay.

VW dealers.

Other than that then unless you are lucky enough to hear of one potentially for sale (ie chatting to owners and asking) via word of mouth before it gets advertised then that's your lot.

Apparantly they may once in a blue moon go to auction but 99% of owners/traders are well aware of what they have and how to sell it best.

There have been at least three very well priced Cali's on here in the last two weeks and one on Autotrader I nearly bought.

Edit - also Bilbos often have used Calis.

Last edited:
Welcome as i am not from the UK can't give tips (i would say use the regular 2nd hand sites ) but suggest you go and visit some Cali's for sale and not just go out on adds....also visit dealers who have 2nd hand!
You need to see them irl. and talk to the owner asking him all kinds of info.
Read some posts on the forum regarding things to look out for .
is there anything intresting on the for sale section ?
Also going to a meet or visit a member of the forum in your neighborhood can be very good to catch some usefull info!
Good luck on your search and keep us posted .

There have been at least three very well priced Cali's on here in the last two weeks and one on Autotrader I nearly bought.

Which?

I've been looking for an Ocean or SE and struggling a lot. Pretty much resigned to waiting 6-7 months for a new Ocean now.

May, the supply and choice has dramatically dried up. Supply is late or very early in the year. I've learnt this lesson twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the supply of new vans cropping up here is about average. They are appearing but selling fast, so the amount available at any given time, is tight, and if you are not fast and brave, you'll probably miss out.
Remember to check the top of the list BUT ALSO part way down where the non premium ads are added.

Hi klmr14 - I'm from Dorset too and I bought mine last year from Motorhome Dealer Group in Poole - they also have sites in Ferndown and somewhere else, the Ferndown one is almost all VWs so worth a look at the various conversions - if you let them know you're in the market for a Cali they'll email you when they get one.

I had looked at various ads online and joined some Facebook forums, and heard so much about scams - also realised that some of the ones I had been interested in were scams of one sort or another. I decided to buy from a dealer if possible and I researched LOCAL dealers (well you might need to take it back for something) and found that MDG have a very good rep and have won awards that are voted for by customers.

I would say they are good salesmen too but after I looked at a conversion which sounded exactly what I wanted, the Cali I now own simply sold itself to me!

Hi klmr14 - I'm from Dorset too and I bought mine last year from Motorhome Dealer Group in Poole - they also have sites in Ferndown and somewhere else, the Ferndown one is almost all VWs so worth a look at the various conversions - if you let them know you're in the market for a Cali they'll email you when they get one.

I had looked at various ads online and joined some Facebook forums, and heard so much about scams - also realised that some of the ones I had been interested in were scams of one sort or another. I decided to buy from a dealer if possible and I researched LOCAL dealers (well you might need to take it back for something) and found that MDG have a very good rep and have won awards that are voted for by customers.

I would say they are good salesmen too but after I looked at a conversion which sounded exactly what I wanted, the Cali I now own simply sold itself to me!

Further to the above, was talking to Rob at MDG today and they bought in 3 Calis last week, one is sold, one has someone interested but not committed, and the third one is definitely available.

Is there anyone looking for a Cali at the moment?

Keep the faith they are about out there, we found an excellent 2013 private sale a month ago on eBay but did look at a couple that were not ideal.

Cheers
Ken

I bought an ex rental from Campervantastic. They turn their stock around every year (or so) and have really high spec vehicles. They look after them and mine has been great so far. Without doubt THE BEST thing I have ever bought ever. Ever!

I bought an ex rental from ***************. They turn their stock around every year (or so) and have really high spec vehicles. They look after them and mine has been great so far. Without doubt THE BEST thing I have ever bought ever. Ever!

Avoid ex rental as there is a chance they will have been thrashed, people never take care of something if it is not their own.
I think that's a somewhat generalised statement. The hire companies charge huge security deposits and check the vans in and out to a forensic level of detail - I know, I've hired several times - and the hire rates are so high it's unlikely that they're hired out to "boy racers" anyway. The specs are usually decent and you may sometimes get a bargain.

However hire companies are business at the end of the day and will always seek to minimise the loss of value they suffer. Many are advertised at pretty much a year old with up to 12k miles but at the same as list price on a new van. If you want to avoid a waiting list etc etc.

One ad I saw last week was for a 2016 Beach at slightly more than my local Van Centre offered me the new unregistered Beach 150 that was sat in the showroom with some nice options on it (sadly no DSG, heater or LED lights though or I'd have had it there and then).

Seriously planning to visit UK and EU for a non specific time and will be buying an Ocean, my questions are, new or second hand, purchase in U.K. or Germany. what is the cost difference? I will be shipping it to Australia, as has been done by by people moving here, seems to be no real issues conformimg to ADR compliance, except for the access door on the right side, gas and power differences.
Our intended timing is April 2018 arrive and start travelling all over.

Seriously planning to visit UK and EU for a non specific time and will be buying an Ocean, my questions are, new or second hand, purchase in U.K. or Germany. what is the cost difference? I will be shipping it to Australia, as has been done by by people moving here, seems to be no real issues conformimg to ADR compliance, except for the access door on the right side, gas and power differences.
Our intended timing is April 2018 arrive and start travelling all over.
If you can afford to buy and ship the van spec you want in new, why risk anything else?
If the whole thing is more of a financial squeeze it's a bit more of a difficult choice except to say there are plenty of nearly new ones around that have a good range of optional equipment on them and you could save some money.
Forget about which side the door opens. As long as your steering wheel and kitchen are in the right place :thumb.
Seriously, one of the reasons i'm not looking at a converted van is because I prefer the kitchen behind the front passenger seat.

I bought an ex rental from ***************. They turn their stock around every year (or so) and have really high spec vehicles. They look after them and mine has been great so far. Without doubt THE BEST thing I have ever bought ever. Ever!
@Richard Amey
So Richard, how long have you owned the ex-rental Cali?
Private message me if you prefer? I couldn't see that option on your profile so needed to post in the thread.
But ex-rental is an option I may consider so interested to know.
Thanks

Back