Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to go in Winter?

Eileen

Eileen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have a ferry booked on 1st December for a six week tour around Europe in the hope of finding some warmer weather. Initially we were going to go to the South of France but most campsites are closed so we now think we may head to Portugal or the Costa Del Sol where the average temp is around 15 degrees in December. We are just worried all the sites will be full of ex pats in their motorhomes as we prefer more mixed campsites with other nationalities

We spent several months in the Peloponnese last year. The weather there on the whole was great, but coming back through Italy in early January was scary!image.jpg

I'm also thinking where to go to just before christmas. We have less time though.
Black forest in Germany could be an option http://www.blackforest-tourism.com/
Scandinavia, but very little daylight. Denmark or South of Sweden are doable any snowy.
Venice, less crowded, not too hot. But might rain.
I'll probably look at the European weather map and decide last minute. It's good to have options though.

We have a ferry booked on 1st December for a six week tour around Europe in the hope of finding some warmer weather. Initially we were going to go to the South of France but most campsites are closed so we now think we may head to Portugal or the Costa Del Sol where the average temp is around 15 degrees in December. We are just worried all the sites will be full of ex pats in their motorhomes as we prefer more mixed campsites with other nationalities

What about Croatia or Slovenia? Never been there in Winter, but I guess less hot and less crowded?

Portugal is great. Went for an 8 mile walk up into the hills above the Guadiana earlier, wore long trousers and shirt. Halfway along regretted not wearing shorts...that's how mild it is right now.

What about Croatia or Slovenia? Never been there in Winter, but I guess less hot and less crowded?
Slovenia is in the Alps, so it can be cold although it is not as cold as usually. Croatia has the same weather, only at the seaside is warmer but can be very windy or even foggy. Both capitals, Ljubljana and Zagreb are very beautiful for Christmas.
Here is how the center of Ljubljana looks these days:
dsc_9227.jpg

Has anyone been over the Pyrenees this time of year? Driving to Spain/Morocco, not sure whether to take winter tyres (I assume not!)

These places look stunning, but how about some places those in the UK can get to if we haven't got the time to spare going to the continent? The Lake District is lovely whatever the weather but with the recent floods I think that can be discounted just now :(

Has anyone been over the Pyrenees this time of year? Driving to Spain/Morocco, not sure whether to take winter tyres (I assume not!)
If you are going Over then that could be problematic. If you are going around then that should be OK.

Remember the Atlas and High Atlas mountains in Morocco are also prone to snow in winter so plan your routes in Morocco accordingly.

As Spaniard I drive almosts all years to Spain to share with my family X-mas sessions.

Spain is not flat at all, and depending where are you going to it's prone to be snowing. In general you don't need winter tyres, althoght some years there were unussual massive snow storms causing problems (in this cases doesn't matter what you wear, probably wil get stuck in a traffic jam).

Main roads and most of secondary ones ussualy are not a problem because the goberment services spread salt over them.

Around Pyrenees there are lot of public services cleaning the snow from tge roads, but it's more prone to get stuck and more recommendable to wear winter tyres or bring chains.

There are other areas which are snow prone where, if you leave main roads, could be problematic.

By the way, very near to Granada (very recommendable city to visit) there is one of the best Spanish skii station.... yes, at the very south of Spain near the beach. It's called Sierra Nevada.

The south it warmer and it's very improvable to see snow providing you don't go to a very high montain like Sierra Nevada, which is more than 3.000m high (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_Nevada_Ski_Station)

My suggestions, Seville, Cordoba, Malaga, Granada. If you have time to travel around Andalussia you will see beautifull places and the weather would be nice (OK, it's winter, so don't expect 40 degrees)

I would recommend the far western Algarve places like Lagos, Praia Da Luz and the Atlantic coast/beaches such as Bordeira and Odeceixe. Remote, unspoilt with plenty of car parks to stay over in. The weather is pretty good too and the waves are spectacular. It's just quite a long way.