Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to leave a T4 Exclusive for a week near Gatwick

J

Joaquin

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hello! We are a family traveling from Spain, all the way to the Highlands from 2 to 16 of august in our VW T4 California Exclusive .

Due to a family trip that we have in Germany, we are forced to leave our westy somewhere near Gatwick for a week (from 16 to 23), but I am more than nervous about that. Do you know any safe parking (paying or not, but preferably a close area) where I can leave it safely?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Hello! We are a family traveling from Spain, all the way to the Highlands from 2 to 16 of august in our VW T4 California Exclusive .

Due to a family trip that we have in Germany, we are forced to leave our westy somewhere near Gatwick for a week (from 16 to 23), but I am more than nervous about that. Do you know any safe parking (paying or not, but preferably a close area) where I can leave it safely?

Thank you so much in advance!!
I use the Official Parking sites at Heathrow. Gatwick has the same. Not cheap but secure. Cheaper if booked in advance.

If you stay at a Hotel close to the airport & pay for 1 night, you can quite often park your car for “free” at the hotel, you get a bus from the hotel to the airport . (Or taxi) usually the hotels are within a Mile or so of the airport.
Edit; Most have very good security arrangements, look for those who offer onsite parking at the hotel. (Rather than offsite)

Edit: Presumably travelling from Scotland to Gatwick over at least two days? You could consider a hotel the night prior to departure (evening meal etc)

search “Airport hotel Gatwick “ you will get a selection of hotels with secure parking

Gatwick airport has additional partner hotels / parking on their website

Last edited:
You didn’t specify the period after Germany ?
assuming you’ll return back to Scotland;
leave the van In Scotland at Airport / locally, fly to Gatwick rinse repeat on the return leg.
Easy jet .

Maybe look on JustPark for a nice house nearby? Unlikely to get a weeks parking on there but you never know.

Maybe look on JustPark for a nice house nearby? Unlikely to get a weeks parking on there but you never know.

I walk past this one on my way to the station. Its 2 mins walk from wivelsfield station (which is 20 mins direct to Gatwick);owner has a Cali!:

Thank everyone for those quick responses! We are coming back from Germany the 23, get the van and go straight to Portsmouth to get on the ferry back to Spain.
We didn’t know that if we book one night at a nearby hotel, we could leave the westy there for free. Looks like the best option.
We don’t know how long it will take from Scotland to Gatwick, we will see as we go.

I have checked the official parking at Gatwick and the prices are crazy. Almost 170 pounds for the week.

The justpark option is good too, as a second best. Have to check the nearby hotels.

Thank you so much to everyone.

I've done this a couple of times recently. Not at Gatwick but at Orly and Schiphol. I used the long stay parking at Orly, stealth camping overnight in the carpark as my flight was at 6.30am. Returned 4 days later and 80 euros lighter. Good experience and no advanced booking. At Schiphol I used Indoor Airport Parking located a 10 min shuttle drive from the airport. I have issues with other people driving my vehicles so I was nervous. The Cali had to be dropped off, keys handed over and then an employee parks it. But it was by far the easiest and cheapest option with covered parking. Paid 70 euros for 6 days. Cali was waiting outside on my return. Just a bit of a hike to the designated pickup location.

I have checked the official parking at Gatwick and the prices are crazy. Almost 170 pounds for the week.

The justpark option is good too, as a second best. Have to check the nearby hotels.

Thank you so much to everyone.
You will generally find that English Airport hotel for 1 night including parking for the duration you are away (upto 2 weeks) will be very similar in cost to just parking at the official car parks.

I just used the Gatwick long stay at South, it was easy and only slightly dearer than the cheapest on a price comparison site that was further away. Very short shuttle bus ride from terminal.

Gatwick South long term car park is very close to the terminal. Worst case scenario, you can even walk there. North Terminal Long Stay is quite far away from terminal.

How much would it cost if you parked it up in London and get it towed away?, it would be Uber safe

How much would it cost if you parked it up in London and get it towed away?, it would be Uber safe
Sorry! I haven´t been connected. My van can´t enter London becouse of the low emisions zone (I don´t know if they call it like this).
I think I will go for th just park option, just need to find a good option and go for it. I didn´t know this App, it is very convenient for this kind of trips.

I've done this a couple of times recently. Not at Gatwick but at Orly and Schiphol. I used the long stay parking at Orly, stealth camping overnight in the carpark as my flight was at 6.30am. Returned 4 days later and 80 euros lighter. Good experience and no advanced booking. At Schiphol I used Indoor Airport Parking located a 10 min shuttle drive from the airport. I have issues with other people driving my vehicles so I was nervous. The Cali had to be dropped off, keys handed over and then an employee parks it. But it was by far the easiest and cheapest option with covered parking. Paid 70 euros for 6 days. Cali was waiting outside on my return. Just a bit of a hike to the designated pickup location.
By Orly you mean Paris, right? I didn´t tell you, but Paris is another city I am going on my summer trip! :) Long story short, that´s the plan for the 5 weeks trip:
From 19/7 to 27/7 I´m going to Bretagne, Mount St Michel, and around that area.
From 27/7 to 30/7 Paris (that´s gona be difficult to park too, due to the Olimpic Games)
From 30/7 to 1/8, Brujes (Belgium)
From 2/8 and later, what I wrote on the first message.

I am finding extremely difficult to find a place where I can park, and sleep near Paris (by near I mean like 60 miles around, and get to Paris by train) I´ve just tried the justpark option, but didn´t find any option there, i don´t know if I did something wrong.

Back