Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Bike Carrier

The Thule 929 is great. I use it with the 4th bike adapter. Seems to work fine with opening the tailgate on the California as well.

I'm looking for a tow bar rack mostly for the purpose of mounting a storage box/bag.
Found Thule base that mounts optional bag/plastic box but it completely blocks the rear door.
Any tow bar rack that can carry bikes or storage boxes and have an ability to easily allow boot access?

I'm looking for a tow bar rack mostly for the purpose of mounting a storage box/bag.
Found Thule base that mounts optional bag/plastic box but it completely blocks the rear door.
Any tow bar rack that can carry bikes or storage boxes and have an ability to easily allow boot access?
The Altera Strada D3, with adult bikes in the outer 2 slots or with an adult bike in the inner slot and handle bars turned 90o allows the tailgate to open fully.
Don't know if you can put a box on it. The rack slides back and down to allow tailgate to open.

Looks like it definitely won't sit there due to those curved ribs. Suppose the box needs flat bars to sit on.
Found a very nice tow box but it is just a box, can't carry the bikes optionally :)

Thank you for the link.
Considering I have to buy a new bike rack would be nice to find one that works without all those modifications.
Though a great solution by that guy using his existing rack with the thule box.

Our friends bought the Witter ZX504 (4 bike rack that folds up when not in use) for their Land Rover Discovery Sport. It's a great bike rack but tried it with our Ocean and no joy with opening the boot. So promptly purchased an Atera Strada DL 3 which arrived today. First use this weekend - thanks for the recommendations on the Forum. :)

Just an update on the Atera. Great bit of kit (got the 4th bike adapter). Tail gate opens fine although needed to turn the handlebars on the nearest bike - but that's a 5 second job. Without the bikes you need to push down on the rack a bit to allow the tailgate to clear but this was not a problem.

One bit we struggled a bit with was the knack of sliding the rack back to close it. You need to slam it quite hard to ensure it locks. First trip away and sure we'll get the knack of this or the rack with ease a bit with more use, but took a few goes to get it to lock each time - unless we're doing something wrong?

Just an update on the Atera. Great bit of kit (got the 4th bike adapter). Tail gate opens fine although needed to turn the handlebars on the nearest bike - but that's a 5 second job. Without the bikes you need to push down on the rack a bit to allow the tailgate to clear but this was not a problem.

One bit we struggled a bit with was the knack of sliding the rack back to close it. You need to slam it quite hard to ensure it locks. First trip away and sure we'll get the knack of this or the rack with ease a bit with more use, but took a few goes to get it to lock each time - unless we're doing something wrong?

Forgot to add - We left the bike rack on and it rained overnight. Did find the water ran down the roof and dripped onto the plastic casing on the bike rack (the bit over the tow bar) - will have to have a think about that (or take the rack off!) as it was a bit torturous!

Forgot to add - We left the bike rack on and it rained overnight. Did find the water ran down the roof and dripped onto the plastic casing on the bike rack (the bit over the tow bar) - will have to have a think about that (or take the rack off!) as it was a bit torturous!
Never had that problem. Must have been some rainstorm or else I sleep too well to ever have heard it.

Never had that problem. Must have been some rainstorm or else I sleep too well to ever have heard it.

Did rain a fair bit! Will see if it happens again (hopefully not!) but really great bike rack and so thanks for recommendation.

Good stuff. Waiting for Cali to arrive and will then be ordering the same rack. Should be perfect for us as need it for two bikes and an occasional third so most of the time I can use the outer two racks and have no issues with the rear door. Opted for a pop up utility tent to act as storage for the rack and bikes/loo/changing room depending on length of stay facilities etc. Just need some practice on getting it down.

Mike

I'm thinking of getting a bike carrier. I've looked at Volkswagen's own carrier but I don't want one permanently attached to the van.
Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking on a Thule tilting one that fixes on the towbar allowing the rear door to be opened.
Would welcome some ideas please.
We have a Thule tilting one and it works very well. I believe there are differing models (ours is now obsolete) so you need to check there is enough clearance for the tailgate. The main drawback with this is that you need a towbar which makes it expensive if you add the cost of this in, but you already have one.

Some people prefer the tailgate mounted one but it increases the height of the vehicle which may be a problem with height barriers and rules it out for me.

I'm thinking of getting a bike carrier. I've looked at Volkswagen's own carrier but I don't want one permanently attached to the van.
Anyone got any recommendations? I was thinking on a Thule tilting one that fixes on the towbar allowing the rear door to be opened.
Would welcome some ideas please.
As a newbie I've been trying to find a tow bar bike rack that I can use on my T6 without taking off the bikes when I open the rear door. This may be old hat to you guys but the MaxxRaxx Easyfixx premier tilts just far enough. What's more it can carry our tandem as well as our solo bikes. Worth a look? http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/bike_racks_car_cycle_carriers_products/info_prem_max2_swan.html

Normally you just loosen the screws to the handlebars connection to the fork. But on modern bikes its a bit of a hassle, three screws need to be loosened and then tightened properly when you will ride again.

We have four mtbs on our Thule 929 and dont need to turn the handlebars. Yet we can still open the barn door with all four bikes on.

We have four mtbs on our Thule 929 and dont need to turn the handlebars. Yet we can still open the barn door with all four bikes on.
A lot depends on the handle bar width and the type of grips. We have 1 bike that needs the handlebar turned if on the inside. It has twist grips for the gears. The others are OK.

Back