Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which bike rack?

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I want to fit a bike rack to my Cali. I dont want to pay Volkswagens inflated price for their model ( unless they can be bought at discount)
So should I choose a Fiamma or a Thule or something else?

you really do get what you pay for with tailgate bike racks vw's own is the best :thumb

The Atera Linea is cheaper than the Vw one, nicely made and can easily be taken on and off the van as well. Well recommend by me. As standard it takes 3 bikes but you can get an extra rail if you need to carry 4.

Having done lots of research, I mistakingly bought the VW rack. Whilst the quality is good, the VW rack has a number of pitfalls. I found the height to be a pain after a while, in addition you can't open the boot with 3 or 4 bikes on and finally, you can't get spares for the main components, should any become damaged.
This is what happened to me, and because I couldn't find a replacement, I bought an Atera and I have to say that having owned both, the Atera is certainly the better rack. To my mind just as good quality.
Whatever you choose, you should bear in mind that there are many other quality racks on the market. Good luck and I hope you find the right rack for you.

Many thanks to all respondents. Think I might go for an Atera.

I have the Thule 929 (towbar mounted) which I owned before the van. It is a great rack and you can open the tailgate with it on. It is quite low though and for me the angle of my driveway meant it grounded too easily. So I kept the Thule for the other car and got the VW rack (from SMG - some discount available for forum members). It is the best looking of the racks in my opinion, and while it is quite high it's not a major problem for us - we get 4 bikes on it fine. We don't use it as much as we thought we would - when we go abroad it's a bit of a pain putting them on/off the rack each day when we move about, so mainly use it when we we know we'll be in one place for a few days or longer. Does make a great rack for drying wetsuits etc.. too!

Banwy were very helpful wen I called them - unfortunately, whilst all parts are numbered by VW, only a small number are available. The part that I need is not made available by VW.

There are tow ball mounted bike racks which tilt out to avoid the tailgate. These are far better (in my opinion) than the VW rack. Having owned both, I am far happier with my Atera rack.

We have the Atera rack, easy to fit and remove, allows tailgate to open without removing bikes, excellent design very happy with it. Remember to get the 3DL model as the 2DL will not allow the tailgate to open.

I think for cosmetic looks it must be a VW Bike Rack and nothing else.

Kirk said:
I think for cosmetic looks it must be a VW Bike Rack and nothing else.

We did consider the vw tailgate rack, it does look good but unfortunately consensus seems to be it does not work well and worse still can damage the tailgate if bikes are left on when tailgate is raised.

Is the VW tailgate rack easy to remove, or should I always leave it mounted? My wife finds the tailgate heavy to open even with no bikes loaded on the rack...

Yes easy to remove undo the 2 bolts and lift off :thumb

I'd get the Atera one.
But after much mulling, we decided to be the only Cali in Britain without one ;)

For me the issue is being forced by a dealer cock-up. Ordered a detachable towbar in order to go down the Thule/Atera bumper-level option and he missed that part off the order! I don't fancy having a large part of the carefully assembled factory fit interior taken apart in order to put in a deep and (these days) complex wiring change, any more than he wants to pay his workshop to do it.

So tomorrow I shall ask for a good deal on the VW rack. When safely out of warranty I might consider a simpler towbar and wiring arrangement, although that needs careful reseach first given the clever technology behind lights, warning, ESPs etc..

Then all I need is the licence plates and I can drive it away, hopefully by Friday! :)

For me the issue is being forced by a dealer cock-up
That's a shame, that you are having to compromise. If the dealer missed it off surely it's his problem to rectify?

I don't know much about the VW rack but I remember previously having a vehicle with a high level rack which was difficult to lift the bikes up to and made it difficult to clean the rear.

My wife has an electric bike now, I doubt I would be able to lift that high enough to place it on the VW rack. I don't think it would take the weight either ...

I have the VW rack on Zebedee. I am quite short 5' 4" and cope well with the rack and bikes with the addition of a small fold up stepstool which I also need for the roof topper. Having had a major failure of a well known high street stores bike rack in the middle of the road which necessitated myself and daughter dragging bike rack and mangled bikes to the side if the road I was determined to go for quality and safety over any ease of use. We have been very happy with it.

The latest VW wiring loom for the Cali goes under the van and so is not a major installation project.

This pops up through a hole in the floor already punched and integrates with the wiring under the passenger seat and a connector to the lighting switch. All relatively easy as just a few splash guards need to come off.
Apart from a reprogrammed of the computer, which the dealer can do in-house.

As you ordered this, it is up to them to sort out the missing part at no cost to you.

Do you have rear parking sensors. If so you could have a problem with aftermarket non VW towbars. The VW towbar and electrics are not difficult to fit and when programmed into the ECU then rear parking sensors are automatically disabled when a trailer or towbar bike rack electrics are connected. Personally if you ordered a VW towbar fitted then the Dealership should fit it at no cost or, at least in the UK, you can refuse to accept the vehicle and that is the pathway I would follow. You shouldn't have to compromise.

Thank you all for your replies. As usual here a variety of views and insights and they are all correct. In my own case and context, the big discount on the fixed rack made it my option of choice. Win-win is generally an effective approach. Now I just need the insurance and registration to come through and a whole new van-centric future beckons! Thanks again.

Having used bike racks for the last 20 odd years, the towbar mounted ones are great, very stable (had a few early Thule ones that were not) and can take 4 bikes no problem but they are very heavy and from experience very nickable even if you have them locked to the ball, so they do become a bit of a pain to keep removing them and sticking them in the back of the vehicle

I have gone for the fixed VW one for flexibility and the fact that I can still tow a small trailer also I can flip the bike rack down when on holiday and use it to transport my inflatable canoe, folded up of course.

You just have to get what fits in with your lifestyle.

Just my 2 cents
Ian