Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which engine for a new Beach?

Sorry Alison, I wasn't responding to you directly, just giving my personal experience on my T6. The DSG responds to the pressure you apply on the gas pedal. On a manual, on a hill, you'd drop speed if you don't give more gas. The dsg mimics that. I think you may have to try to be a bit more deliberate in giving additional gas when on a hill in order to tell the dsg :" hey, I need power, drop a gear!".
With your previous 204 Ocean you wouldn't have need it as it had torque also at low revs at 50mph
Thanks, I understand people are trying to help, and that is great. But I also know that with foot to the floor (never had to do that with any other vehicle before), there is no downward change in gear. Even if I then take the foot off completely and try again to the floor.
The T6.1 150 engine behaves very differently from what I was used to before.

Thanks, I understand people are trying to help, and that is great. But I also know that with foot to the floor (never had to do that with any other vehicle before), there is no downward change in gear. Even if I then take the foot off completely and try again to the floor.
Take it to Bognor Motors for a check and possibly a TVS re-map?

That doesn’t sound right, you haven’t got floor mats stopping the full travel of the accelerator have you?
Try changing down using manual mode see if that’s better.
Sounds like a gearbox adjustment is needed.

Are you 100% sure your idea of foot flat to the floor is the same as the vans, I was surprised at how much further I had to push the pedal to get it to kickdown , there’s quite a strong spring to overcome as well for the last part of the travel.

A good test would be to boost it away from stationary on an empty road, can you get it to Rev up to 4000rpm in first then second or does it change up much lower than that?

It sounds like there's a genuine problem with your van Alison. I can't imagine that all T6-1 engines are that much worse than the 150ps units in the T6 model, if at all. The T6 Beach has plenty of power and accelerates well making it a very pleasant drive. It can also be driven in a spirited manner and it doesn't dissapoint. If the problems that you have described are common to all T6-1 150s then VW have a major problem on their hands. No, IMO it sounds like you have a issue and it needs looking at asap.

Good luck and please keep us all informed. :thumb

Ours will kick down without pressing the pedal all the way to the floor. As others have said there is an extra bit of travel on the pedal and almost a click as you really push the pedal into the carpet but I rarely if ever have had to do that. Doesn’t sound right to me. I’d take it back and ask to drive another 150ps and ask they do the same and drive yours to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the T6.1 150 engine really that different from the T6 150 engine?

I’m still loving my T6 150. I took it over Wrynose Pass this morning, and back again. Then down the M6/M1 mostly with ACC set in “eco” mode. A pure joy, with the MFD (perhaps optimistically) displaying 50.4 mpg for the 300 miles or so travelled after Wrynose and a refuel.
I saw a Grape Yellow Beach in Keswick and wondered if it was Amarillo Tom.

I saw a Grape Yellow Beach in Keswick and wondered if it was Amarillo Tom.

We didn’t go quite that far west. Entered the Lakes at Penrith at 06:30 Saturday. Then A592 to Glenridding. About 4pm drove to Windermere for the night. Sunday 8am over Wrynose, then, after a short walk, back over the pass again and joined the M6 at J36.

I think you missed my point. Mine does not drop the gear on an uphill at 50mph or above… so I have the lorries I just over took on the flat then over taking me on the uphill section.
I’m wondering if you have a turbo problem and the DSG doesn’t drop down a gear because it’s not receiving enough power from the engine to make it react.

I’m wondering if you have a turbo problem and the DSG doesn’t drop down a gear because it’s not receiving enough power from the engine to make it react.
Or maybe a faulty Mass Air Flow Sensor. I've had these go on other diesel vehicles in the past and the vehicle still starts and goes but is very sluggish with poor acceleration.

Back