Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which engine ????

B

Bubble

VIP Member
Hi all

Not sure if this topic has been covered ?
I own a 2009 2.5 litre 174 bhp auto & have no probs with performance etc.. I have a friend who has just purchased a slightly newer Cali with the 2 litre 180 bhp engine manual... Neither of us are sure of he pros & cons of either spec.?
I know everyone will be quite protective of there model but an unbiased opinion would be great?

Cheers

Not sure what you want to know. If you and your mate already have Cali's suggest you get out and enjoy them.

Two very different engines, each good in their own ball park.

1 Turbo vs 2 Turbo's
PD injection vs Common Rail
5 Cylinders vs 4 Cylinders

Go drag race!

I've driven both although the 174 was a Caravelle. I find the 180 is more economical.

So long as you both like your motors that is all good!

Bubble said:
Hi all

Not sure if this topic has been covered ?
"I own a 2009 2.5 litre 174 bhp auto & have no probs with performance etc.. I have a friend who has just purchased a slightly newer Cali with the 2 litre 180 bhp engine manual... Neither of us are sure of he pros & cons of either spec.?"
I know everyone will be quite protective of there model but an unbiased opinion would be great?

Cheers

Hi Bubble I have a 2008 2.5litre 174 but manual. If you get hold of a current or any 2010 onwards VW California brochure ie. facelift model. Then find a 2007-2009/10 or any pre-facelift year Cali brochure you can then compare. All the weights and measures, performance and fuel consumption are in the brochures
I think you'll find that the later model will be slightly better in all departments (except looks) :D
I also think that it's emmissions are less and therefore possibly cheaper road tax.

cheers Eric

Looks......Ha ha ......

We most certainly will enjoy them! However It's nice to know a little more about what makes them tick.
Before I purchased my van I visited a few review t5 forums. I was a little worried as it was 50/50 for & against as blown turbos & a number of other issues etc were mentioned often about t5s.
I finally took the plunge & so glad I did :D

Bubble said:
Looks......Ha ha ......

We most certainly will enjoy them! However It's nice to know a little more about what makes them tick.
Before I purchased my van I visited a few review t5 forums. I was a little worried as it was 50/50 for & against as blown turbos & a number of other issues etc were mentioned often about t5s.
I finally took the plunge & so glad I did :D

Apart from this one - never trust a forum - far too many opinions :) :D

Apart from this one - never trust a forum - far too many opinions

My father always says 'if you talk to enough people you will hear what you want to hear' eventually endorsing your own opinion, rite or wrong.

Back