Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help on headlight bulb upgrade please

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 13.38.44.png
Probably a stupid question, but don't overestimate my intelligence! I decided to upgrade my T6 Ocean headlights to Osram H7 Nightbreakers bulbs, so bought a pair of bulbs. I have now only just realised that there are 2 x H7 bulbs on each side - one for dipped and one for main beam. I have replaced the main beam with the night breakers. I'm assuming that is correct, or should it be the dipped beam? Secondly is there any point in replacing all 4 bulbs? Thanks in advance for any replies.

All 4 would get my vote, but in the meantime, you should prioritise which ever beam you use most or dislike the most, I think the dip beam should be the best to upgrade as you don't want to be plunged into candlelight after having the main beam on, when you probably need to see even better... :oops:

Definitely dip as you'll get most benefit from those but all 4 need doing to give a matched setup.

I did all 4 in one batch on the Cali but only did the dip on our Citroen - result was hardly any difference between dip and mainbeam. Upgraded mainbeam bulbs to match dip ones and now noticeable difference when going to mainbeam

Assume that you used the +150% bulbs.

I tried to find a vid on YT, only changing bulbs of a t5 (I guess 2014) and I would say all 4 or as said the dipped beam first. I fitted the Night Breaker and was quite a difference. I am aware to be careful with the headlight unit itself as more powerful bulbs cause more „damage“ to the unit itself.

Interesting to hear you can upgrade the bulbs.. to ask a stupid question... does it not dazzle the on coming driver? I paid extra for the winter kit on my T6 beach but can’t remember what bulbs they are.

Shouldn't dazzle as long as the headlights are correctly levelled and the new bulbs are correctly aligned in their holders. They are just brighter within their beam pattern.

In my last cali I fitted phillips 150% bulbs and they were better than the standard. Never had an issue with other drivers being blinded.
I'm about to try the new osram 2nd generation nightbreakers in my new van, though anything will be a disappointment as our current car came with led lights.

I keep thinking about upgrading but although my Cali is my daily driver I don't really drive much at night so I wonder if it's worth it. What sort of cost are these upgrade bulbs?

I keep thinking about upgrading but although my Cali is my daily driver I don't really drive much at night so I wonder if it's worth it. What sort of cost are these upgrade bulbs?
About £20 and 5 mins to swap them.

The Phillips bulbs are good, also make sure the level is set right, I adjusted mine up a bit on the T5.1, there are some white Allen key adjusters on the lights units, this made a huge improvement driving on low beam

Well I know what to buy if I get any Amazon vouchers for Christmas
5def1a3e0eb3c0f2b399cacf739d9b6b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks both!

Back