Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which option would you add to a T6.1 Coast?

A few weeks ago I joined the queue for a new Coast. I went for the following ‘options’: white paint, heated seats, heated screen, rear privacy glass, additional air conditioning, canvas sides with a panoramic window, mud flaps and an 80L tank.

I’ll be adding a bike rack and roof bars (potentially for a surf board). Our van will be a base for sea swimming and cycling in the UK + we imagine touring some French and Italian vineyards in due course.

It sounds from this forum that it’s possible before the van goes into production to change the choice of options via the dealer.

My question to any T6.1 Coast owners out there would be which one additional option would you recommend or wish you had ordered on your van?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have asked for a bike rack and limo tint as the VW’s are light and can be seen through. Still waiting at code 38 this week.

We have asked for a bike rack and limo tint as the VW’s are light and can be seen through. Still waiting at code 38 this week.
I've got the limo tint too. Far better than the vw option

What’s the ACC issue abroad?

My left hand drive 6.1 Beach’s ACC would emergency brake when driving in the UK as the system’s radar isn’t perpendicular, it thought lorries on motorways that were safely in their lanes were not - bang! on go the brakes, potentially lethal to drivers behind. Cruise therefore useless
Got off the chunnel at 3am this morning and ACC decided I was undertaking on the motorway and showed a vehicle on the left on the MFD (LHD Beach).

After 20 mins it clearly decided I was in the U.K. and behaved perfectly for the rest of the drive. I also noticed that the light pattern changed to be more of a U.K. beam pattern on the LED headlights.

Assume some sort of location calibration. First time in U.K. with the van so nothing to compare it to.

A few weeks ago I joined the queue for a new Coast. I went for the following ‘options’: white paint, heated seats, heated screen, rear privacy glass, additional air conditioning, canvas sides with a panoramic window, mud flaps and an 80L tank.

I’ll be adding a bike rack and roof bars (potentially for a surf board). Our van will be a base for sea swimming and cycling in the UK + we imagine touring some French and Italian vineyards in due course.

It sounds from this forum that it’s possible before the van goes into production to change the choice of options via the dealer.

My question to any T6.1 Coast owners out there would be which one additional option would you recommend or wish you had ordered on your van?

Thanks

Got off the chunnel at 3am this morning and ACC decided I was undertaking on the motorway and showed a vehicle on the left on the MFD (LHD Beach).

After 20 mins it clearly decided I was in the U.K. and behaved perfectly for the rest of the drive. I also noticed that the light pattern changed to be more of a U.K. beam pattern on the LED headlights.

Assume some sort of location calibration. First time in U.K. with the van so nothing to compare it to.
I've had the same on my RHD Cali. Basically, you need to be careful for the first few kilometres when crossing to/from the UK, but after a bit Vanessa realises which side of the road she is travelling on and ACC works fine. I would be interested to know how this works. Does it "learn" by how you are driving, or does GPS tell it what to do?

As far as I know it has no link to traffic sign recognition, you can have one option without the other.
The only minor problem abroad is that upon landing on foreign shores it takes a few miles for the van to realise that you are driving on the wrong side of the road & for the ACC to let you overtake without manual intervention, it still thinks you are trying to undertake which it won't let you do.
Is there no way to tell the car that you have now moved to a right hand driving country? It seems odd not to manually check/change that.
Thanks for an answer on this topic, I've been trying to get my head around this for a while.

Are you sure about the lights actually changing? the beam patterns are almost flat but different for both LHD & RHD LED headlights & there are no moving parts.

Are you sure about the lights actually changing? the beam patterns are almost flat but different for both LHD & RHD LED headlights & there are no moving parts.
Had already driven 1200 km at this point so more than likely seeing things. I was a bit surprised to see the U.K. near side verge illuminated. Will try and test on the way back on Monday.

Thanks

I wouldn’t advice the VW privacy glass we had a limo tint added after buying much darker you can see through the factory one. OMG the panoramic is awesome .

Be careful the cost starts going up think carefully and check the price against the Ocean it is easy to do.

We kept the options simple but absolutely love the pano roof canvas, wouldn't be without it.

Also added the lighting concept, which is absolutely stupid money, but we only use the upstairs bed and like to read, so gets used every night and is brilliant as you can adjust the brightness of each side independently. It's a great option .....as long as I can forget how much it was.

20220722_154504.jpg

Echo that the Pano roof is a huge winner.

Echo the extra lights: the children sleep upstairs and those lights are the best. Those two in the trim of the tailgate also and according to my wife the kitchen cabinets also serve. Although it is a relatively expensive option, buying it is well worth it.
The pano roof as it is called, you indeed also take because for that price you have not sewn in a zipper yourself. We have not used this much I must admit. For what it cost, no problem.
If you will use it for travelling: seat covers. Really.

So having asked this question in October 2021 our Coast arrived 9/6/22. We have just returned from a trip to Normandy/Brittany + have found the combination of camping out of the van and peddling our bikes fantastic. Ended up with tow bar bike rack, rear camera, mud flaps, VW tint, 80L tank, panoramic window, extra rear aircon, candy white, front fogs. I guess in the French heatwave the extra aircon and being White helped a bit. We also used the ‘ventilate only’ option on the ‘heat immediately’ menu that helped one particularly hot night. I guess for UK orders choosing options on a Coast is now only of historical interest given it is no longer available. I guess if my budget was unlimited I might have considered LED lights as the one option I didn’t go for (mainly for use abroad without the need to consider beam deflectors). Thanks to all those who posted useful advice. Much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Sad
So having asked this question in October 2021 our Coast arrived 9/6/22. We have just returned from a trip to Normandy/Brittany + have found the combination of camping out of the van and peddling our bikes fantastic. Ended up with tow bar bike rack, rear camera, mud flaps, VW tint, 80L tank, panoramic window, extra rear aircon, candy white, front fogs. I guess in the French heatwave the extra aircon and being White helped a bit. We also used the ‘ventilate only’ option on the ‘heat immediately’ menu that helped one particularly hot night. I guess for UK orders choosing options on a Coast is now only of historical interest given it is no longer available. I guess if my budget was unlimited I might have considered LED lights as the one option I didn’t go for (mainly for use abroad without the need to consider beam deflectors). Thanks to all those who posted useful advice. Much appreciated.

Also kept heated seats and front screen options. Heated seats already welcome after a dip in the North Sea!

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Sounds close to Ocean spec in the end?
I know a coast in the UK had more options than one with us (Belgium) but the price difference must still be big enough. Even with us, a well-decorated coast is still far from the basic price of an ocean (and our ocean is even more basic then yours). There must be a difference: a coast looks more basis, I call it pure.
The possibility of being able to put together your cali à la carte and not having to take an electro-hydraulic roof was the reason for me to choose the coast. Each his own idea about this all of course and I like to look at all of them.

Last edited:
Sounds close to Ocean spec in the end?

It’s certainly close to our ideal van with at present only the rear shower and LED front lights being left on the ‘wish list’ for next time. Not sure how much an internet broker would have discounted an Ocean last Autumn but our Coast via autoEBid with these specs seemed/seems like good value.

Back