Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Topper for downstairs

We've just been away for the weekend at Blackmore Park near Malvern. A very well organised site that has lots pf space and very good facilities, and used a Zonesleep topper upstairs. It was very comfortable and warm. Both highly recommended.

A&A

Who was in the white Cali?

This is all very useful feedback! We hired a 180 from BMVS before committing to buying a new Cali and have since placed an order. There remain a number of key items we're going to need, bottom topper being one. It's good to see some practical comments on the Zonesleep, which seems to be highly recommended. We were very happy with the VW one supplied, but it does take a lot of room, and its thickness seems to question the very effectiveness of the Zonesleep. Any other views having used the Zonesleep would be appreciated, and we'll be at COTF to check out other important stuff.

And having spent many hours browsing this site, congratulations for providing a place to capture the details and answering the questions we wouldn't otherwise think about asking. :goodone

Got a 1" memory foam topper from Dunelm for £30 almost does the job - problem for me is the seat/bed joint seems to be right at my hip have tried sleeping front to back but still uncomfy in warmer weather I usually sleep on the topper and on top of duvet/sleeping bag as well this seems to fix the issue - would reccomend a 2" topper for comfort - think the problem is that the bed is designed as comfortable travel seat that can be used as a bed unlike previous vans I have had (Moonraker and Trooper) that had super comfy beds that could be used as a travel seat!

We too got 2" medium foam from Dunelm - about £17 and it is fine. We really only needed it for the seat bed but it does make the roof bed much more comfortable as well. We got in 2 pieces and it stores easily behind the seat.

John G

trying a memory foam warehouse 60kg density 2inch topper, with outlast cover....will let you know how it goes!

I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

Any chance of a picture of this folded or rolled up when on the back shelve as I'm interested in the bulk of the thing. I need to get something ordered for this weekend as I'm still recovering from sleeping in the Cali for the first time over the bank holiday weekend..

This is the zonesleep topper in its bag Although I'm not sure if the bag is in full production yet

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

BillyBain said:
I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

Any chance of a picture of this folded or rolled up when on the back shelve as I'm interested in the bulk of the thing. I need to get something ordered for this weekend as I'm still recovering from sleeping in the Cali for the first time over the bank holiday weekend..

I wil try and get a pic - it really is MUCH more compact than say a Brandrup topper (which our friends have). And you can fold/roll it how you want rather than as dictated by the design. Triple fold for a thick but small footprint, single fold across the whole back shelf (which ours currently is), roll it into a fairly large roll, etc.

I can't quite fathom how the mesh is made but it's pretty amazing. If it lasts well, I'll be very happy. I SO nearly went for the Brandrup but this suits us much better.

many thanks for the picture Kev, it looks great. I've ordered one but apparently there is a bit of a rush on them for this coming weekend..!!! Still find it hard to believe that something so thin will make such a difference but they offered me the option to return if I wasn't pleased and as they haven't had a single one returned and based on the reviews they must do the job...

Hi guys and gals
I am a large lad and have tried all the usual remedies on the lumpy lower bed, but the problem is the bar hidden in the seat backrest.
This bar just digs in to my hip or back on any memory foam type topper. The foam just sinks over time and body comes into contact with the bar.
Solution

After much research i have sourced a 120cm quick fill air bed that fits the downstairs exactly. Also a cheap air pump that drives off the 12v. Bed goes up in 30 seconds and the pump can take the air out in another 30 seconds. Also a second air bed slightly wider can stay in the roof when deflated.
Result.
Happy bunny
And wifes likes it to.
And as a bonus cool to sleep on in hot weather

I now have a zonesleep upper matress for sale used once, any takers

Back