Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which wheel size for ride comfort

Nolan

Nolan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Rather than discuss this in the "6.1 Ocean 2 day hire - disappointed" thread I thought I'd start a new one so that one doesn't go off track.

My T6 Beach has the 16" wheels with the dealer fit lowering springs but I saw an interesting comment from Elmo3 to different wheel/tyre sizes giving different ride comfort.

I can see this will be the case as I recently bought a set of as new 16" Claytons (£200 with tyres, bargain!) from the other forum with the 205 van fitment tyres on them and they run at higher pressures, not fitted them yet as might put some winter tyres straight on but clearly they won't ride as well.

What's the best? I always assumed the larger wheels would ride worse as they have less tyre sidewall but I'm interested in what other people who have tried different vehicles/wheels have found?

From my experience 16" provide the most comfort but are the least "cool". Also wider are usually more comfortable but to a lesser degree. I don't worry about "cool" so stick with 16" as comfort is more important to me.

I don’t have experience of 16s but I recently changed 215/60/17s to 235/55/17s. Night and day!

I lucked out a bit with my ‘new’ T5. 16 inch steels with Michelin Agilis M+S in 215/65/16 with plenty of life left. Tough as old boots with a decent bit of profile.

Clearly Ocean owners can’t have 16’s because of the front brake discs, but the 235 Dunlops on 17’s are way more comfortable than the 215 van tyres. I also had a set of 225/65/17 all season which were even smoother because of the profile.

Just to cause trouble on this thread, I am going to go for style over substance (I’m clearly having a MLC (mid life crisis)) with SuperMetal 20” and eibach lowering springs on my new van due in a few weeks - should be interesting...

^^ hope your dentist will be back in action by then!
Ha - let’s hope so!
I do see a lot of pics on this forum with people who have gone this route - they seem happy with it?

I went from 215 16” to 255 18” and found them to be the same ride wise. The lower pressures compensate for the lack of side wall.

Back