Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which size tyre on 20inch wheel query

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

I have removed my loved 20 inch BBS wheels and replaced them with standard alloys to get a better ride quality. I now need new tyres and have come across a member who has 20 inch wheels with fatter tyres than mine.

Does anyone know if I can fit fatter tyres on mine to improve the ride?

Presently
my BBS 20's have 275/35ZR20 102Y
my van is lowered so clearance may be compromised too (bought like this so not sure)

Thanks for any help.

So not too confusing then?

Your standard rims? 17"?

You could Google the subject. Try any tyre website. You should find a rim size/width/rolling radius calculator.

Everyday is a school day.

Most VW T5 with 20" wheels have 275 40 20 tyres, and lowered to the max

Hi

I have removed my loved 20 inch BBS wheels and replaced them with standard alloys to get a better ride quality. I now need new tyres and have come across a member who has 20 inch wheels with fatter tyres than mine.

Does anyone know if I can fit fatter tyres on mine to improve the ride?

Presently
my BBS 20's have 275/35ZR20 102Y
my van is lowered so clearance may be compromised too (bought like this so not sure)

Thanks for any help.

The tyre size you quote is what I'm using. I do t have any ride issues and I also have lowered suspension.

I do t think you can fit wider tyres unless you space the wheels out because there ain't much room around the back in the rears.

The 45 aspect ratio tyres have a deeper tyre wall and are thus going to be a "bit" more soft but these tyres have a larger rolling diameter and will therefore mess up your speedo calibration. The 35 sections are the closest to the original diameter.

Not everyday is a school day.... only Monday to Friday in term time.

Most VW T5 with 20" wheels have 275 40 20 tyres, and lowered to the max
Is 40 the depth of the sidewall? I am not sure if 5mm would feel much different really.

The van drives okay on good roads but feels like it's got no suspension if I hit a pot hole. The 17 inch wheels I run now are much softer. I wouldn't change but need new tyres and have those lovely 20inch in a garage. Sad as Brian looks stunning with them on.

The difference between the 35 and 40 is not 5mm because this figure is the aspect ratio. (Diameter (inches) and width (mm)You would have to work it out mathematically or find a van and measure. But this dimension will alter depending on the width of the tyre. But if. It's tyres are 275 then of course the tyre wall will be deeper on a 40 section tyre.

I used to find my van crashed over potholes weather on its standard 17" or now on its 20" wheels.

And against many forum readers advice I went for style over practicality so run the 20" wheels. But in my experience I am happy with the ride and anyway avoid potholes like the plague....

The difference between the 35 and 40 is not 5mm because this figure is the aspect ratio. (Diameter (inches) and width (mm)You would have to work it out mathematically or find a van and measure. But this dimension will alter depending on the width of the tyre. But if. It's tyres are 275 then of course the tyre wall will be deeper on a 40 section tyre.

I used to find my van crashed over potholes weather on its standard 17" or now on its 20" wheels.

And against many forum readers advice I went for style over practicality so run the 20" wheels. But in my experience I am happy with the ride and anyway avoid potholes like the plague....
Don't visit Norway then. No hope of avoiding potholes unless you want to take on an 18 wheeler.

Everyday is a school day is right. Studied tyre sizes and ended up checking my wheel suitability for the T5 and everything.

Didn't know that the 35 or 55 number is the % of the big number and relates to the side wall so if the big number is smaller but the % is greater you could still have the same size sides.

I did a comparison of my two sets of wheels/tyres and there is a 1.5% difference speedo wise so okay but if I boost the side walls I break the accepted difference.

I also discovered how expensive my BBS wheels and tyres were so suddenly have more affectionate for them.

image.jpeg

They are a sweet set of rims. I was very tempted by these wheels when I was searching and as you say they are very expensive but BBS are top quality.

They really suit the van and look very nice without being too "wide boy".

Why don't you run the 20" in the summer and the other rims in winter when you need protection and possibly winter tyres?

Best of both worlds??

Was a time when potholes were only found on back roads then they spread to A roads and now they are lying in ambush on Motorways.
Given that the lower the sidewall aspect the greater the damage risk to both the tyre and rim is, the result of which will hit directly in the wallet.

In the end it's up to you the owner where and how they spend their cash, just factor in the potential costs.

... or flog both sets, play it safe and get some OEM 18" Sportlines ?

You're not alone finding tyre sizes confusing @Yorkie , I've read as much as my tiny brain could cope with, filed it mentally under 'maybe next year', then spent the money on an internal liner and a fridge instead ... :D

... or flog both sets, play it safe and get some OEM 18" Sportlines ?

You're not alone finding tyre sizes confusing @Yorkie , I've read as much as my tiny brain could cope with, filed it mentally under 'maybe next year', then spent the money on an internal liner and a fridge instead ... :D
Just remember that if you go up an inch in wheel size you will have to reduce the tyre height to compensate.

Another way to mentally picture it is to imagine 3 wheels, 16", 17", 18", with tyres fitted and placed shoulder to shoulder, then put a spirit level across the top and it would show level.
On level ground obviously.

Job done.
Fitted my BBS 20inch wheels today.
Does anyone know what the correct tyre pressure should be for a 273/35/20 Bridgestone?

Job done.
Fitted my BBS 20inch wheels today.
Does anyone know what the correct tyre pressure should be for a 273/35/20 Bridgestone?

I have same size tyres as you (mine are Pirelli PZero Rossi) and I run them 45psi. Fully laden. I have had them for 9 moths and show no signs of uneven tyre wear.

I have same size tyres as you (mine are Pirelli PZero Rossi) and I run them 45psi. Fully laden. I have had them for 9 moths and show no signs of uneven tyre wear.

275/35/20 Pirelli PZero Rosso.

Back