Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Whistling brakes and pedal doesn't return to start position

R

RexT25

Vehicle
T5 HighTop
Hi guys,

Recently had some work done on the brakes and now have a new problem.

A week ago i had the front right caliper, both front pads and the master head cylinder all replaced. On the first spin since getting it baclk, after about 20 miles when i hit the brakes a constant whistle or low level screech happens. I noticed as well tue brake pedal doesn't go back to its original position. When i lift the pedal back with my foot the noise stops.

The second spin this started to happen after about 5 miles.

Is the van safe to drive? Brakes seem to be working fine. All work was done on the front but the noise sounds like it is coming from the back.

Any thoughts on what is causing it? Will go back to the garage but expecting them to say other stuff needs to be replaced. It'd be good if i could say what it probably is rather than letting them empty out my wallet a second time

Its an 84 T25 water cooled diesel btw

Thanks
Rex

Hi Rex, difficult to diagnose from descriptions, could be brake servo / vacuum pipework whistle, master cylinder area which causes the pedal to not return. I would expect the place where the work was done to rectify at no cost to you (unless there are further issues), something they've done if it was working before.

Martin.

Cheers Martin, I'll drop it out to them and ask them to have a look

Is the van safe to drive? Brakes seem to be working fine. All work was done on the front but the noise sounds like it is coming from the back.
No, the van is not safe to drive. If you need an emergency brake and your pedal slides back and does not come back up, how are you going to stop again if you released the brake pedal and it stays there somewhere deep down?

I'm not familiar with T25 specifically but generally speaking it sounds like it could be return spring or a master cylinder problem. I definitely wouldn't drive a vehicle with those symptoms until diagnosed properly.

Hi guys,

Recently had some work done on the brakes and now have a new problem.

A week ago i had the front right caliper, both front pads and the master head cylinder all replaced. On the first spin since getting it baclk, after about 20 miles when i hit the brakes a constant whistle or low level screech happens. I noticed as well tue brake pedal doesn't go back to its original position. When i lift the pedal back with my foot the noise stops.

The second spin this started to happen after about 5 miles.

Any thoughts on what is causing it? Will go back to the garage but expecting them to say other stuff needs to be replaced. It'd be good if i could say what it probably is rather than letting them empty out my wallet a second time

Its an 84 T25 water cooled diesel btw

Thanks
Rex

Possibly a broken return spring broken or not connected as the brake pedal will have travelled right to the floor in the bleeding process. You may be able to see if it's broken by looking upwards in the drivers footwell.

Hi guys, got it checked out and mechanic said there's no problem. Whistling seems to have gone and brakes are fine.

In other news the drive belt is a bit too loose which explains why the radio rarely works.

Is that a big/expensive job?

Think you might need to expand!!
Drive belt causing radio problems?

To do with the battery I'm guessing? The radio rarely works. The battery was totally dead the other day and when I hooked up jump leads the radio worked.

I'm guessing some power for the radio and stuff comes from the drive belt may be? Sounds like I'm wrong though and i have a lot to learn

Find yourself a friendly mechanic to give it the once over every now and then as you recognise you have limited mechanical understanding. The drive belt will be the alternator or accessory belt as its called which keeps your battery charged.. Not a big job but probably needs replacement and certainly adjustment now.

Back