Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

White Cali on M5 with roof not secure!

Maxx

Maxx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Whilst I was returning home on the M5 north bound yesterday I spotted a white Cali heading south, unfortunately for the owner only one side of the roof was secured, the other was peeling upward in the wind and lookEd fairly well deformed! Anyhow, the owner has my sympathy, can’t have been a nice discovery when they reached their destination!

Last edited:
Presumably the owner/driver is deaf? That must have been making a racket inside?
Indeed. The traffic was pretty slow and perhaps they had the stereo up loud but still, there should have been several warnings!

Whilst I was returning home on the M5 north bound yesterday I spotted a white Cali heading south, unfortunately for the owner only one side of the roof was secured, the other was peeling upward in the wind and look fairly well deformed! Anyhow, the owner has my sympathy, can’t have been a nice discovery when they reached their destination!
Well what coincidence; whilst travelling back from the LD last Thursday with the stereo blaring out, I never noticed that I had left a head torch on the shelf above my head and there was a 50mm gap on the offside front of the roof. I wasn’t hanging about speed wise and never heard any excessive wind noise. What a relief to find no damage or bends/kinks anywhere on the roof. A definite ‘heart sink’ moment. I hope our friend in the white Cali has a similar ending.

I just had to go outside to check the roof...was heading south on the M5 in ours Thursday!

Roof is still intact fortunately! Hopefully it wasn't me...

Just to make sure, whereabouts on the M5 did you spot this?

Thought of this thread as I spotted one side of a conversion's top top waving at me as we passed on the A1 this afternoon....

Thought of this thread as I spotted one side of a conversion's top top waving at me as we passed on the A1 this afternoon....
I did wonder if it was a rental. I’m pretty certain most Cali owners would be very mindful of making sure the roof was properly secured.

Saw something identical on the M5 this afternoon. It was so bad I assumed they knew about it and couldn’t get it down

Did you wave back? Or do you only wave to original California's? :cool:

Did you wave back? Or do you only wave to original California's? :cool:
It was the A1(m) so not really close enough to wave across the central reservation. Was wondering what the signal for "your roof is partially up" should be. Certainly not the usual casual friendly wave.

Out of interest do Oceans have manual latches to close after the roof has closed?, not something I'd ever thought about.

No they haven't. The hydraulics pulls the roof down, and then keeps the pressure for the roof to keep closed.
there are 2 hooks where the front scissors hook behind, so they can't lift up just like that.

Back