Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

White dust on battery under seat cover

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Does anyone know what this chalk like dust is on the leisure battery rubber cover under the seat? We’ve had no issues with the battery getting hot, discharging or smelling. Cali is 34 months old. It’s nowhere else. Slight chemical smell but that could be from the rubber cover.

E8337F8C-657F-4585-A0E5-A4A76064E6BB.jpeg

Does anyone know what this chalk like dust is on the leisure battery rubber cover under the seat? We’ve had no issues with the battery getting hot, discharging or smelling. Cali is 34 months old. It’s nowhere else. Slight chemical smell but that could be from the rubber cover.

View attachment 80634
Mines still just Black Rubber after almost 7 years.

Dust?

View attachment 80634
How bizarre. I noticed ours had the same white dust which I wiped off. I just thought the kids had been messing about when playing in the van and not given it a 2nd thought.

I'll keep my eye on this from now on.

Our Cali has just turned 2!

Mines still just Black Rubber after almost 7 years.

Dust?
It’s nowhere else and it’s got to be battery related as I think the + terminal is under where more has collected (bottom left).

I’ll test the pH of it when we get back from the Gower.

Your battery is leaking. The white powder is caused by the electrolyte reacting with the air.

Your battery is leaking. The white powder is caused by the electrolyte reacting with the air.
I can see that happening around the base of the rubber cover, but if the cover is not damaged on top why should it just happen there? The seat rails are clear.

Wash the battery with warm soapy water. When dry smear vaseline on the terminals to see if its sulphate dust. If it doesn't re occur then job done

There was a post several months ago about white powder under the dashboard of a members Cali. Can’t remember the outcome?

Think that was an airbag powder
Air freshener.

Think that was an airbag powder
If I remember that thread correctly, it wasn't an illegal substance ;-) and there was no definitive outcome. Dealer guessed it was an airfreshener from the time the van had been in the dealer's showroom.

On the UK T4 forum there's a similair post, but without a definitive answer.
Seems like a weird place for the white powder to show up if it would come from the battery. But hey.. who knows.

Just clutching at straws - but could the battery and rubber cover create slight static electricity and attract a disproportionate amount of dust?

I think it is the mold release agent. Mine has it as well.

View attachment 80634
Most likely to be bloom, it’s quite common on rubber components.

Most likely to be bloom, it’s quite common on rubber components.
Thank you: I think that’s exactly what it is and someone on another forum just said VW had an issue with it on MY 2018 vehicles.

Silicone oil, tyre shine or trim polish will bring it up like new (applied sparingly)

Back