Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why bother with 4 motion

I have seen lots of them but they do not really answer the question because just how many of us will ever buy a Cali to take it on that road surface.

I wished that someone had made a video of me in Albert on the 30th. Rescuing Mum and Others, ploughing through mud, fording water filled streets, sideways on a grass bank with wheels desperately clawing for grip, just that sheer confidence in the machine and it's wheels and tyres to go where not many really wanted to go.

Thats why 4motion works for me. In my head. That confidence to get stuck in whatever the surface.

Funny enough, I was thinking today about this. I recall the 204 T6 I test drove and remember there was a some wheel spin with it only being 2wd. If you go for one of these I think the 4Motion would be well worth while to make the most of the extra horsepower.

Apart from this, I've watched some of those videos and have been impressed how well the 4motion van performs when the going gets tough. This is my favourite.

Wow that Rockton 4 Motion is something special, wonder if VW will ever add this to the Cali options list?

I used to do a lot of off road driving in 4 * 4's but they were always contract hire for our cross country pipeline projects, even if I had a 4 Motion still not sure I would want to do that in a Cali I had paid me hard earned cash for!

That is why I didn't go for one, sbmcd, I don't want to be tempted to use it properly.
I have hired a little 4x4 in the past , and scared myself, trying to make the most of it, but not really having the skill,
I could see myself rolling the van over.
My brother in laws recent expedition, in a Land Rover, to Mongolia, he still needed a winch on the front on a couple of occasions.
I shall stick to the roads in my precious van

Reactions: DM
We have snow on our roads for 3 months a year, no problem withonly 2wd usually. But sometimes when they havent plowed its a problem. I think 4 a 4 motion is a good alternative to a suv like bmw x5 or the likes.
Friends to us got a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee, more expensive than a loaded up 204HP Dsg 4mot cali, but gives less as I see it. Slower, takes more fuel, worse quality in the interior, no carplay etc and less space inside.
When I think about it the cali is not that expensive :)

There is more to the 4Motion than off-road or snow capability. The Audi Quattro was never sold for it's off-road capabilities.

There is more to the 4Motion than off-road or snow capability. The Audi Quattro was never sold for it's off-road capabilities.

Quite agree but the original Quatro was built as a stage rally car and a certain number had to be built to homologate it. When Audi realised how good it was on the road they then offered it initially as an option on their normal road cars.
I do find though that the 4Motion feels more firmly planted on the road then the 2wd though in normal driving but I wouldn't have spent the extra solely for that

Winter tyres and 2wd will get further on snow than 4wd on summer tyres. Life is about choices and where you want to spend your cash! Not sure I would want to take a Cali off-road as its not exactly built for it (departure angle and ground clearance).

Very true, even 2wd is far more effective with good winter tyres.

I've seen a Citroen C2 with winter tyres take a hill a Range Rover without winter tyres couldn't make.

I drive a Quattro A6 (until my Cali arrives) and I'm not sure I've made use of its abilities in the three years since I bought it. However, GrannyJen makes a valid point - the confidence to do things, even if I never have, is brill!

Sadly, not an option on a Beach so my quattro days are counting down.

Sorry about the duplication! On a train with terrible signal.

Last edited:

Last edited:
This is why we got one, Pyrenees a year ago. BTW the cars in front got stuck in the next few minutes, no 4wd drive you see. :)

Great video, I have no doubt 4 Motion with snow tyres is the best option for snow like that, but interesting to see what looked like a rear wheel drive BMW with chains on coming up the hill! Chains can be a pain to fit and remove but they are very effective and cheap.

Winter tyres and 2wd will get further on snow than 4wd on summer tyres. Life is about choices and where you want to spend your cash! Not sure I would want to take a Cali off-road as its not exactly built for it (departure angle and ground clearance).

Well, no one is ditching the seat belt when they have airbag either? I dont see the reason for comparing 4wd to tires. In the winter you get winter tires if its cold no matter which or how many wheels are driving the vehicle. I would say the ground clearance of 19cm is about the same as most suv's.

And 4Motion with winter tyres?
That's my plan. My new van comes with alloys and summer tyres so I've asked the dealer to get me a set of steels. I've ordered some Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S 235/55/17 103V XL's today. Found a site that I've paid ÂŁ515 for five so the spare steel is sorted too. I've used this tyre before on an SUV in the Yorkshire Dales with snow. I think there as some good deals on winter tyres at the moment as the winter has been so mild. Having my own steels so that I can swap them myself. Fingers crossed I'm off to the Alps in March. If I don't go, I'm sorted for next season and at that price I'm a happy (Cali) camper!

This is why we got one, Pyrenees a year ago. BTW the cars in front got stuck in the next few minutes, no 4wd drive you see. :)
Did you have snow chains on too or just Winters briwy?

Did you have snow chains on too or just Winters briwy?

Snow tyres (the Vredensteins as above actually) and chains on the front, mainly because the village had been cut off for nearly two days and the gendarmes would only let people down the mountain with chains on.
All the locals change to winters and use chains when required. A lot of them have Fiat Panda 4wd which are great in the snow.

We have a Skoda scout with 4 wheel drive, it makes you feel more planted but the winter tyres make a big difference in the snow in Scotland

Snow tyres (the Vredensteins as above actually) and chains on the front, mainly because the village had been cut off for nearly two days and the gendarmes would only let people down the mountain with chains on.
All the locals change to winters and use chains when required. A lot of them have Fiat Panda 4wd which are great in the snow.
Thanks Briwy. It's reassuring to know that the Vreds work well on a Cali. What brand of snow chain do you use? Any considerations for a 4motion? I've never used them before.

Our chains are called Magigroup. 9mm and very easy to put on. Only had to use them twice, once really needed them when I went up a road I shouldn't have and got stuck and then when the gendarmes insisted last year as a precautionary measure. Normally the tyres are adequate. Rear diff lock on and ESP off when it gets slippy but remember to turn the diff off when not required. I think it may disengage over a certain speed anyway but not sure.

Our chains are called Magigroup. 9mm and very easy to put on. Only had to use them twice, once really needed them when I went up a road I shouldn't have and got stuck and then when the gendarmes insisted last year as a precautionary measure. Normally the tyres are adequate. Rear diff lock on and ESP off when it gets slippy but remember to turn the diff off when not required. I think it may disengage over a certain speed anyway but not sure.
You would soon know if the Diff Lock does not disengage.:thumb

Back