Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why bother with 4 motion

Our chains are called Magigroup. 9mm and very easy to put on. Only had to use them twice, once really needed them when I went up a road I shouldn't have and got stuck and then when the gendarmes insisted last year as a precautionary measure. Normally the tyres are adequate. Rear diff lock on and ESP off when it gets slippy but remember to turn the diff off when not required. I think it may disengage over a certain speed anyway but not sure.
Cheers Briwy. My wheels are 17". There should not be any issue with clearance with the chains should there?

I have a 4motion but would not dream of taking it off road. It is meant to be used primarily on the road to give added traction in poor weather conditions and to give it an advantage on tracks and grass BUT it must still have the right tyres on for the surface travelled on. The tyres are its footwear; winter/summer tyres for the road or all-terrain tyres for regular track use. You would wear flip flops on the beach but not consider them for a walk with the dog through a muddy wood in winter.
I have a Landrover Defender used off road and I certainly would not have tyres on it that could not cope with the mud and rocks it traverses. My Triumph Tiger 800 came standard with Pirelli Trail tyres but I don't take it on trails so changed them to a good pair of road only tyres.

The only thing I regret about mine is not getting 4Motion.

Never really thought about it, but do all Cali 4 motions have a diff lock button. We're getting our 204 4motion in March. I'm not thinking of doing proper off roading but there may be a use for it in muddy campsites.

We've had a few problems with steep French driveways in our present 2motion 180 Cali especially with bikes on the rack at the back and a loaded Thule box on the tow bar. With a lot of weight at the back we seem to lose some traction from the front wheels. It's not off roading as such but we are hoping 4wd will help us in our every day exploring of more remote villages and campsites.

We've had 4motion VW cars (Tiguans) but they do not come with diff lock.

Never really thought about it, but do all Cali 4 motions have a diff lock button. We're getting our 204 4motion in March. I'm not thinking of doing proper off roading but there may be a use for it in muddy campsites.

We've had a few problems with steep French driveways in our present 2motion 180 Cali especially with bikes on the rack at the back and a loaded Thule box on the tow bar. With a lot of weight at the back we seem to lose some traction from the front wheels. It's not off roading as such but we are hoping 4wd will help us in our every day exploring of more remote villages and campsites.

We've had 4motion VW cars (Tiguans) but they do not come with diff lock.
All 4Motions have an electronic, automatic, differential lock. Just like Land/Range Rovers using the Haldex 4 wheel drive system.
You can, at an additional cost, spec an electrically operated mechanical Diff Lock.
I believe, I could be wrong, that this was not offered on the later T5 Californias but has, apparently, been re-introduced on the T6 version.
How often this Mechanical Diff Lock needs to be used and its benefits are open to discussion.
If you have not specced the Mechanical Diff Lock then you will not have a dashboard switch.

Last edited:
I have one of the last T5 calis and ordered the diff lock. I thought it was about locking the rear diff, and the electronic automatic diff lock is only on the front, also for 2WD.

Quite handy to know. When driving up a greasy slope and can't get traction It sometimes helps to turn around and reverse up.
It transfers more weight to the front wheels that is if the vehicle is front wheel drive
Timber

I have one of the last T5 calis and ordered the diff lock. I thought it was about locking the rear diff, and the electronic automatic diff lock is only on the front, also for 2WD.

The manually operated diff lock (from the button on the dash) locks the rear diff. The centre diff is the clever Haldex bit that decides where to send the power (front, rear or both). No driver input. The front diff is just a normal mechanical diff.

Very interesting info, thanks.
Still not sure if I understand it completely. They say "we offer our four-wheel drive system in three differential variants":
  • Haldex clutch
  • Torsen differential
  • Lockable centre differential
And they explain the technologies, but what do we have on a T5 4motion, what on a T5 4motion with dash diff lock button? Do you have a Haldex clutch in the latter case and is fuel consumption equal in case of the manual diff lock version vs regular 4motion?

The T5/T6 4Motion utilises the Haldex system +/- the lockable rear Diff.

I'm glad I had diff-lock last night in the snow. I would have struggled in a few places without it!

Still not sure if I understand it completely. They say "we offer our four-wheel drive system in three differential variants":
  • Haldex clutch
  • Torsen differential
And they explain the technologies, but what do we have on a T5 4motion, what on a T5 4motion with dash diff lock button? Do you have a Haldex clutch in the latter case and is fuel consumption equal in case of the manual diff lock version vs regular 4motion?

Fuel consumption will be the same with or without the manual rear diff lock. If you're using the manual diff lock probably the last thing you will be worried about is fuel consumption. Only used at very slow speed.

I know. I was just not sure that the diff lock version had the haldex clutch. Now I know.
I checked the diff lock on the options list for river crossings in iceland. Plan for 2017.

I'm glad I had diff-lock last night in the snow. I would have struggled in a few places without it!
Winter tyres? Or at least All Season Tyres?

I know. I was just not sure that the diff lock version had the haldex clutch. Now I know.
I checked the diff lock on the options list for river crossings in iceland. Plan for 2017.
Remember, the T5/T6 on normal suspension does not have a very good wading depth. 30cms. Over that and the air intake is sucking water.

Just to clear things up re difflock:
Probably all cars with esp,ie anti spin, have a kind of difflock, it means that it uses the brakes to stop the wheel with least friction from spinning.
It works quite ok for most scenarios, but when used for long periods of time the brakes will get hot and the system will stop working and a 4 motion vehicle will be two motion, ie one front and one rear whell driving. A mechanically operated diff lock actually locks the rear axle so both wheels turn at same speed.
Still eps will be used on the front axle to,try and stop a wheel from spinning.
I will use out 4motion a lot in the snow where there is little friction and where I would say the optional diff lock will be more or less not necessary.

• Haldex clutch
  • Torsen differential

As far as I know the only VW that uses a lockable centre differential is the amarok. The t5 / t6 uses the Haldex clutch system to distribute power.

Haldex has nothing to do with the rear axle. Amarok is completely different, has the system larger Audis have been equipped with since the 1980's, Torsen.

I am aware of that. Considering to buy one of these seikel vent kits
http://www.seikel.de/shop/en-getriebeentlueftungen-fuer-hoehere-wattiefe/?lang=eh

But the seikel things are so expensive. Complete conversion to T5 extreme is 36K euro. You can buy another T5 for that
And you should consider this http://www.seikel.de/shop/snorkel-polyethylen-fuer-t5-mit-132-kw-motor-linkslenker-4/?lang=eh

Mind you involves a large hole in the body panel. Will definitely have an impact on re-sale if you ever consider that.

Winter tyres? Or at least All Season Tyres?
No winter tyres or all season tyres. Have not needed them until this week. Too warm. Current summer Dunlops have life in them and I can't make my mind up as to which way to go yet. Cost is a factor; but I don't want to compromise...

Last edited:
No winter tyres or all season tyres. Have not needed them until this week. Too warm. Current summer Bridgestones have life in them and I can't make my mind up as to which way to go yet. Cost is a factor; but I don't want to compromise...
That would explain why you had need of the Diff Lock.

Back