Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Hi there re step, just interested to know your size of wheel your running.

Thanks.
Hi Jester,

Sorry, just seen this.

I'm going out to storage tomorrow so will check and let you know. So long since I've seen the van.............

Hi Jester,

Sorry, just seen this.

I'm going out to storage tomorrow so will check and let you know. So long since I've seen the van.............
Evening, no worries one other do you know the axel weights. Not many options out there. Quite like the Black Rhino wheels.
Will

Yeah, they’re great. The 17” (which I have) are just too small, they cause step-grounding and they don’t look right but we’ve already spent too much on it so trying to avoid spending anything more

Reactions: DNR
Yeah, they’re great. The 17” (which I have) are just too small, they cause step-grounding and they don’t look right but we’ve already spent too much on it so trying to avoid spending anything more
Are those wheels of the correct load rating? I read lots about the subject on https://www.facebook.com/groups/2017CrafterTGE and there seems to be a lack of suitable alloys for Crafter / TGEs.

I’m sat in a motorhome parking space near Friedbergersee (that’s a lake in Germany Called Fried Berger) and thought I’d update my thread with a bit of a review.

We picked up the Boxdrive in January 2020 and in-spite of the last 18 months we’ve managed to spend in the region of 6 months between lockdowns touring. We’ve been on weekend trips to Edale and month long trips to France, Orkney, Mull, Scotland mainland and now on an extended road trip through France, Germany to Austria…we are back in Germany whist awaiting upon the Norway government to update their regulations so we can travel through Denmark onward to Trondheim in Norway. (Following daughters football team)

We’ve had one or two small (and persistent) problems with electrics and a small water leak; after changing dealer, the support from the second dealers has been good (Doncaster), Knaus not so. I’m please the issues seem to be resolved and none of which has stopped us from enjoying the van. On the whole the van has been fantastic.

We’ve upgraded the electrical system by adding an additional 2 batteries and solar along with an inverter. We also carry an additional 50l of water and use bottle water to drink, collectively this has allowed us to spend all but 10 (ish) nights ‘off grid’

Considering the differences between the boxdrive and ‘others’: the unusual sliding shower cubical, which is not to some people’s liking, allows a very usable system and one that helps enable our extended stays. We would whole heartily recommend it. The elevating bed has repeatedly shown itself to be very useful. The washroom hand basin not so useful.

The Vw Crafter is like driving a car. We went for the 177bhp auto and it’s superb. We’ve done 16k and it’s averaged 31mpg; which I’m happy with.

Given the amount of time in the van the fixtures, fittings and fabrics have stood up well and with a clean would look new. In fact, I can’t really fault them.

The only times we’ve been frustrated with the van has been due to extended period of rain; after about 4/5 days of poor conditions it starts to become a little claustrophobic. The gap between the kitchen unit and washroom has caused the odd ‘moment’, but I guess that’s Van life.

Would I recommend the Boxdrive? In a word Yes but with one caveat: pick your dealer wisely.

Would I buy another? Again yes but would want a 4 motion if they did one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update of your experiences with the Boxdrive.

As it happens we are going to Doncaster today to discuss the possibilities of buying a Boxdrive after many months of research both into that model and other conversions on a Crafter (Knaus are now using a MAN TGE as the base model I believe). I guess that this is the dealer that you are recommending?

Enjoy your holiday.

I’m sat in a motorhome parking space near Friedbergersee (that’s a lake in Germany Called Fried Berger) and thought I’d update my thread with a bit of a review.

We picked up the Boxdrive in January 2020 and in-spite of the last 18 months we’ve managed to spend in the region of 6 months between lockdowns touring. We’ve been on weekend trips to Edale and month long trips to France, Orkney, Mull, Scotland mainland and now on an extended road trip through France, Germany to Austria…we are back in Germany whist awaiting upon the Norway government to update their regulations so we can travel through Denmark onward to Trondheim in Norway. (Following daughters football team)

We’ve had one or two small (and persistent) problems with electrics and a small water leak; after changing dealer, the support from the second dealers has been good (Doncaster), Knaus not so. I’m please the issues seem to be resolved and none of which has stopped us from enjoying the van. On the whole the van has been fantastic.

We’ve upgraded the electrical system by adding an additional 2 batteries and solar along with an inverter. We also carry an additional 50l of water and use bottle water to drink, collectively this has allowed us to spend all but 10 (ish) nights ‘off grid’

Considering the differences between the boxdrive and ‘others’: the unusual sliding shower cubical, which is not to some people’s liking, allows a very usable system and one that helps enable our extended stays. We would whole heartily recommend it. The elevating bed has repeatedly shown itself to be very useful. The washroom hand basin not so useful.

The Vw Crafter is like driving a car. We went for the 177bhp auto and it’s superb. We’ve done 16k and it’s averaged 31mpg; which I’m happy with.

Given the amount of time in the van the fixtures, fittings and fabrics have stood up well and with a clean would look new. In fact, I can’t really fault them.

The only times we’ve been frustrated with the van has been due to extended period of rain; after about 4/5 days of poor conditions it starts to become a little claustrophobic. The gap between the kitchen unit and washroom has caused the odd ‘moment’, but I guess that’s Van life.

Would I recommend the Boxdrive? In a word Yes but with one caveats. Pick your dealer wisely.

Would I buy another? Again yes but would want a 4 motion if they did one.
I'm feel the same, only grip is its tight for space, but if it wasn't it would be a motorhome and drive rubbish... Cant believe I've had mine more than two years! I've never loved a vehicle so much for so long. I get bored, but not with this one...

Hi

As it happens we are going to Doncaster today to discuss the possibilities of buying a Boxdrive after many months of research both into that model and other conversions on a Crafter (Knaus are now using a MAN TGE as the base model I believe). I guess that this is the dealer that you are recommending?

Enjoy your holiday.
Hi Rod,

Suspect it will be the same dealer.

I haven’t got any experience of the sales team but I can recommend Simon (after sales manager) who has spent hours with his team chasing down niggling electrical faults. I’d be grateful if you would say hi for me.

let us know how you get on.

regards

Hi

Enjoy your holiday.
Hi Rod,

Suspect it will be the same dealer.

I haven’t got any experience of the sales team but I can recommend Simon (after sales manager) who has spent hours with his team chasing down niggling electrical faults. I’d be grateful if you would say hi for me.

let us know how you get on.

regards

Hi @DNR after our visit to Premier Motorhomes we are travelling your way again (we've been past you once this year already). We should be well up north by early next week.
If it's not to much of an imposition would it be possible to call and have a word about the Boxdrive? As I'm only a 'visitor' on here you will have to reply via email 'rod at vwbooks.co.uk'

To add to my mini review.

One thing that bugs me about the Boxdrive is the gas bottle. It uses the 907, which is the same as the Cali. I would have been happier if they’d have fitted a larger cylinder. The 907 costs about £50 for an initial purchase then about £30 for a refill. Given the volume of gas it works out at about £6 a litre, which in my view is extortion. I typically get about 30 days on a fill.

When I picked up the Captain I also purchased 2 gaslow 2.7kg refillable cylinders. They cost about £250 inc gas for the pair. Today I put in my 7th refill at the cost of €3.62 and to my calculation I’ve hit the breakeven point between my initial outlay and the costs if I’d gone with a 907. Ive also got two assets should I wish to cash in the gaslow cylinders.

I’ve used one cylinder as the van gas supply and the second as supply for the cadac (and spare should I need it).

In my view the refillable cylinders are a no brainer and well worth the investment.

I've just had that discussion with the dealer, it seems there is no option for an underslung gas tank. Their reasoning was that it is only for the hob and that wouldn't use much gas.
Neither is there the three year warranty that VW or MAN offer purchaser's of their vehicles in the UK.
Did you get the Pan-european roadside assistance with your warranty?

I've just had that discussion with the dealer, it seems there is no option for an underslung gas tank. Their reasoning was that it is only for the hob and that wouldn't use much gas.
Neither is there the three year warranty that VW or MAN offer purchaser's of their vehicles in the UK.
Did you get the Pan-european roadside assistance with your warranty?
Yep, it’s a German vehicle so only comes with a two year warranty and yes, can with assistance. Suspect when It comes to the end of the warranty I’ll get the usual letter offering a warranty extension though.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that you had purchased in Germany. However they don't offer the same warranty here that the UK MAN & VW dealers do on the same base vehicle.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that you had purchased in Germany. However they don't offer the same warranty here that the UK MAN & VW dealers do on the same base vehicle.
I purchased from a UK dealer but the vehicle is sourced by knaus from Germany so only comes with standard VW 2 year warranty.

Reactions: DNR
Hi @DNR after our visit to Premier Motorhomes we are travelling your way again (we've been past you once this year already). We should be well up north by early next week.
If it's not to much of an imposition would it be possible to call and have a word about the Boxdrive? As I'm only a 'visitor' on here you will have to reply via email 'rod at vwbooks.co.uk'
No problem Rod. You want to take a look at my Boxdrive? Ill drop you a line with my details. Happy to show you around it.

Back