Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Evening, yes a lovely spot, however it’s been raining on and off . Question what do you mean by the z bed modification?

Cheers.
Glad you finally got your big bus Mr B, have you stopped smiling yet.

Glad you finally got your big bus Mr B, have you stopped smiling yet.
Morning Karlos, I see your not to far off, love it down here, we are off the north cost (tintagel) as of Monday forecast is bad but like in Dorset it changes by the hour so not worried.

Bound to say I love it as i put a lot into it but I do as do so may others on the campsite, unless they were being polite, but a good few have been over to look over it.

Thanks for asking.

Will

In short I believe there are better (and I suspect cheaper) alternative already available.

After a huge amount of consternation We’ve decided to put a deposit on the Knaus boxdrive 680. (Pronounced K-naus)

Details: https://www.knaus.com/en-uk/camper-vans-cuv/boxdrive/highlights/

Wife and I had decided we were changing the Cali for a van with a washroom but not a Ducato (for a number of reasons). The new Crafter seemed an ideal alternative and the GC couldn’t have been introduced with better timing (or so we thought).

We so much wanted to like the GC and VW were initially pushing on an open door but what we saw in Düsseldorf didn’t really impress and what I heard in Birmingham failed to improve our view.

The only things that kept us interested was the 4motion, price and one build manufacturing (warranty).

Following the Birmingham show what was really grating on me was the suggested additional £15k premium for a UK spec vehicle that was partially justified as ‘what the market could bear’ (FFS!).

The final nail in the coffin has been the continued lack of concrete information, despite receiving assurances by the VW marketing people in the Düsseldorf show that the GC would be available to order in the UK by January. Almost 4 months have elapsed and a month since I was at the Birmingham show and STILL nothing. I wanted Billy’s replacement for summer and If ordered now the Knaus would be available in July. Decision made, deposit placed.

I’ve made it clear on a previous posts I thought the GC hadn’t been thought through and the finish quality was poor. Contrasting that with the Knaus you’ll find a well thought out and well finished interior, you’ll even note there’s a place to hang the shower head too! It’s quite clear Knaus is a company well grounded in making caravans and conversions. I also noted the German start price is €60k which translates exactly to a UK price of £55k (no ripoff Britain premium added). This fact would seem to indicate another contrast that suggests VWC propensity to bend us over! I should mention a full spec Boxdrive can go north of £80k. Another point to note is the Knaus uses the mid height van and is 20cm lower than the equivalent GC 680 and according looks a little tidier. Incidentally the Westy Sven Hedin uses the mid height van too (so no idea why VW have to use the extra height?)

I’ll let everyone know and will post a video review when it turns up.

Finally, I purchased from Better Than Camping based in Worcestershire. I found Ed Stone to be both helpful and knowledgeable but would also caution anyone visiting him as he is in the process of relocating his business and developing his new sales area.

Email: ed@betterthancamping.co.uk if you’re interested....
A year in Bob, how are you getting on with the Boxdrive 680 ME? We are seriously tempted.

W
A year in Bob, how are you getting on with the Boxdrive 680 ME? We are seriously tempted.
well, I’m sat on the border of France and Italy at the mo and been here for 3 nights.

Jane and I were discussing this very question last night. We asked ourselves 3 questions.

Was selling the Cali the right thing, should we have gone for the GC or are we happy with the Knaus?

We concluded the Cali had had its day. we no longer needed to make the many compromises a Cali owner has to make to combine an everyday usable vehicle with somewhere to eat and sleep . Don’t get me wrong we loved the Cali and were sad to see it go, but it’s a bit like living in London, you don’t know what you're put up with until you move out. Most of all we don’t miss the bed! Having a full sized and comfortable bed Is simply wonderful. No need to make it up, just jump in and.....

I was always happy with a couple of water bottles and a short morning walk (with a spade) to cater for the morning ablutions if necessary but the hot water and washing facilities are an oblivious pleasure and an additional comfort.

We’ve done 3k miles this month and the crafter is simple to drive. Obviously you need to account for the extra length but it’s not that much different to the Cali.

Comparing the Knaus and GC I cant really see how living with them would be any different. They are both based on Dometic and Truma tech and exactly the same configuration.

The differences being; the Knaus washing area is so much better thought out (loads of room to shower), the fixtures are more traditional (IMHO the GC looks like a dentist surgery), the GC uses the extra high roof (more expensive on French tolls) and I’ve got £10k more in my pocket. Oh and the Knaus bed lifts up so you can load your bikes in the back.

My only gripes are the gas locker is too small and only fits a 907 and the batteries don’t last long. I’ve however fitted 2x185w solar panels and had no need to hook up.

So to answer the question, yes, great decision!

edit: there is one thing I’m struggling to fathom; the ablutions sink. It’s a double thing.... there’s a small sink that’s difficult to use which pulls out and converts to a much bigger ‘er’ sink. it’s a great idea but it doesn’t hold much water and it doesn’t have a plug. Consequently any water you put in it just runs through into the drain ‍♂.I think it’s best described as a water shelf? It could be a great feature but it’s one of those designs that’s been done by someone who’ll never use it.

178B1509-5E26-4AE2-A948-FD9358765F31.jpegDE71DCB8-E094-4272-90D8-D60F4E9D2130.jpegA2FA018E-A69A-40AA-9761-DF85726AE792.jpeg26F530E2-86B6-4B23-920C-9E79ECE409CB.jpeg391D42E5-B454-4C5D-87F0-3F85DE4C92A3.jpegD46DB982-4409-430D-9DCB-99254CA40DDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Been thinking about the same as we never seem to have enough space.

W

well, I’m sat on the border of France and Italy at the mo and been here for 3 nights.

Jane and I were discussing this very question last night. We asked ourselves 3 questions.

Was selling the Cali the right thing, should we have gone for the GC or are we happy with the Knaus?

We concluded the Cali had had its day. we no longer needed to make the many compromises a Cali owner has to make to combine an everyday usable vehicle with somewhere to eat and sleep . Don’t get me wrong we loved the Cali and were sad to see it go, but it’s a bit like living in London, you don’t know what you're put up with until you move out. Most of all we don’t miss the bed! Having a full sized and comfortable bed Is simply wonderful. No need to make it up, just jump in and.....

I was always happy with a couple of water bottles and a short morning walk (with a spade) to cater for the morning ablutions if necessary but the hot water and washing facilities are an oblivious pleasure and an additional comfort.

We’ve done 3k miles this month and the crafter is simple to drive. Obviously you need to account for the extra length but it’s not that much different to the Cali.

Comparing the Knaus and GC I cant really see how living with them would be any different. They are both based on Dometic and Truma tech and exactly the same configuration.

The differences being; the Knaus washing area is so much better thought out (loads of room to shower), the fixtures are more traditional (IMHO the GC looks like a dentist surgery), the GC uses the extra high roof (more expensive on French tolls) and I’ve got £10k more in my pocket. Oh and the Knaus bed lifts up so you can load your bikes in the back.

My only gripes are the gas locker is too small and only fits a 907 and the batteries don’t last long. I’ve however fitted 2x185w solar panels and had no need to hook up.

So to answer the question, yes, great decision!

View attachment 64141View attachment 64142View attachment 64143View attachment 64144View attachment 64145
Fantastic pictures there @itscalledbob
i wanna camp like you. :thumb

Expensive but definitely worth it for the extra storage space. Sounds like you've got it fitted in yours It's called Bob. Amazing photos, by the way!!IMG_20200803_151813993.jpg

Expensive but definitely worth it for the extra storage space. Sounds like you've got it fitted in yours It's called Bob. Amazing photos, by the way!!

well, it’s a bit of a story.... won’t bore you but it should have been fitted and it wasn’t. It took almost a year to resolve but yes I have the elevating bed fitted. I note your interior is a different colour ....

1AD02237-63F3-4A58-B284-0C4A6D941158.jpeg

Bob if you had your chance again knowing what you do would you go down the same route or choose something similar but a different brand?

Hi all

Good to see we are now using our vans.

I'm still loving my Boxdrive, I will echo Bob, the double sink. When looking at the brochure, I thought what a brilliant idea, in practice, we never pull the thing out.

We use our van mainly for motor racing accommodation. Living in Inverness we often have lots of miles to cover to get to circuits, so an overnight needed both ways and often carry lots of kit. So I've mounted the bed (moved the locating bolts down and attached 10" legs at the front of the bed frame) further down so we can use the bed and have more storage below. Works for us...

IMG_5394.jpg

Great idea DNR. Gives a lot of flexibility.

We use the same system of a series of those plastic storage boxes for our stuff as you seem to do.

But we've never figured out what that long sink was intended to be used for, it's so shallow? For that reason we've never pulled it out either. What was it originally intended to be used for?

We're on our very first trip, a six week trip around Portugal. So far the fridge doesn't work (a warranty issue that couldn't be sorted before we went because of Covid), the toilet leaks between the cassette and the seal under the bowl and we just cannot get the hot water to heat (did you get sorted @Judy ?) all of which makes wild camping, eh, 'interesting'..... But what a comfortable van to drive, very easy to cover long distances.

Here's a few shots in case anyone's interested

2020-08-16 10.17.47.jpg

2020-08-16 07.51.48.jpg

2020-07-15 10.06.15.jpg

2020-07-15 10.06.01.jpg

We use the same system of a series of those plastic storage boxes for our stuff as you seem to do.

But we've never figured out what that long sink was intended to be used for, it's so shallow? For that reason we've never pulled it out either. What was it originally intended to be used for?

We're on our very first trip, a six week trip around Portugal. So far the fridge doesn't work (a warranty issue that couldn't be sorted before we went because of Covid), the toilet leaks between the cassette and the seal under the bowl and we just cannot get the hot water to heat (did you get sorted @Judy ?) all of which makes wild camping, eh, 'interesting'..... But what a comfortable van to drive, very easy to cover long distances.

View attachment 64613

View attachment 64614

View attachment 64615

View attachment 64616
That looks ace :thumb
Bigger vans need a few decals on the side.

Thats a shame you are having some issues. I’m sure this is not the case, but the water won’t heat if you have the dinning area window open, to stop exhaust gas from comIng in. I had this issue, so had to resort to the manual.

Again, just checkIng you are not pouring toilet chem directly into the bowl and leaving it there? That damages the seal. I seem to have to keep reminding my wife not to do that, but still find a very blue bowl occasionally grrrrr!

Great pics, very jealous...

View attachment 64613

View attachment 64614

View attachment 64615

View attachment 64616

Thanks @DNR, no that wasn't the case, window or door wasn't open at the time - but really useful to know, would never have guessed it. Curious isn't it, how does the system know, there's no sensor on the window that I can see?

We had tried putting it on the timer as well but it didn't switch on. Doesn't help having two separate control panels with both appearing to interact with the system. Unnecessary complication..........

Which one do you use to control operate the hot water, the Truma or the Knaus? And what setting do you leave the other one at?

Sorry for all the questions but while we're at it how do you stop the door courtesy lights from coming on every time you open and close the sliding door? I'm always last to bed and first up and I nearly blind my wife each time! And then they stay on for ages afterwards..................... :D

2020-08-19 10.11.04.jpg

2020-08-19 10.10.30.jpg

Thanks @DNR, no that wasn't the case, window or door wasn't open at the time - but really useful to know, would never have guessed it. Curious isn't it, how does the system know, there's no sensor on the window that I can see?

We had tried putting it on the timer as well but it didn't switch on. Doesn't help having two separate control panels with both appearing to interact with the system. Unnecessary complication..........

Which one do you use to control operate the hot water, the Truma or the Knaus? And what setting do you leave the other one at?

Sorry for all the questions but while we're at it how do you stop the door courtesy lights from coming on every time you open and close the sliding door? I'm always last to bed and first up and I nearly blind my wife each time! And then they stay on for ages afterwards..................... :D

View attachment 64695

View attachment 64696

There is actually a small microswitch in the window opening which detects the window being open.

I only use the Truma controller for heating. I have a feeling the Knaus controls are for other vans which use gas heating. Just leave it switched off.

Our vans only use diesel. I'm sure I have read somewhere that it wont work if your fuel tank level is low. So one more thing to watch out for. I make sure I always have plenty of fuel before parking up for the night, although it doesn't seem to use much fuel.

The courtesy lights settings will be in the VW cab, either vehicle settings menu in the instrument cluster, or the infotainment menu. Need to look in the VW manual for that. I have left mine in factory settings but I know this is configurable.

Hope this helps...

Don’t know if this helps re window switch
image.jpg

Hi Breeze1
On the Boxdrive, the switch is built into the frame, so nothing obvious from inside, you can only see the switch from outside with the window open. Its a neat design, once you know its there... A sticker on the window like yours would have helped.

Fabulous photos. We almost bought a Knaus Boxstar, but in the end decided on a Hymer Ayres Rock.

Bob if you had your chance again knowing what you do would you go down the same route or choose something similar but a different brand?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes! defiantly, the van is superb.

We have just been to Sinclairs in Gorseinon to have a look at the Grand California. They had 2 there both were the 4 berth 600. With options around £84k. Asked about discounts and he said sorry can’t do much in the way of a discount. It seems VW have changed their policy towards discounts and gone more towards incentives like 4 year warranty and service packages.. Oh well didn’t think it was for us anyway.. They also had a California with all the bits and 4 wheel drive..That was £72k..
You can see why used California’s are fetching really high prices... Also asked about the 10% duty and he admits they are as much in the dark as anyone..He did say that the manufacturer or dealer wouldn’t absorb that cost so 10% duty +vat....just have to wait and see.

There are deals available on the Grand California on Drivethedeal.com, I think approx 10% off list.

There are deals available on the Grand California on Drivethedeal.com, I think approx 10% off list.
That just goes to show the crap that VW dealers tell you. Although I’m not that gullible to believe anything they tell me..I would ALWAYS search for the best deal before I committed. Don’t forget that nobody knows if there is the extra 10% duty + vat going on yet..That could hit people very hard..

Its the same with car dealers if you go to your local dealer they will play hardball and then the very same dealer will be offering great deals to people from far away online to top up their quota.

They know that some people won't shop around or want to buy locally.

Back