Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Was all set on changing from T6 Beach to Grand California 600, but these are issues

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I have been thinking really hard about getting something bigger with a built in loo and larger fridge. I dont want something other than VW or MB based. Here in Sweden the Knaus Boxdrive is about 150.000€ and a Grand California with most needed options are 90.000€ ordered new so Knaus is not on the menu.
I visited my dealer for the second time today this time having my kids aged 15 and 13 to try the upper bed. They cant sleep on it, one side is about right with a flimsy extender but the other side is way too short.
How on earth can a 1m longer and 1m higher van have smaller beds than our Californi Beach? There is shurely enough room inside to make the whole bed longer.

That’s a real shame as, if it weren’t for the huge price difference (which I can’t understand the driver for), the Knaus BoxDrive would’ve fitted the bill perfectly.

We were very keen on the GC600 but it was mainly that upper bed which killed it for us. Our 10yr old is 5ft already and is destined to be a tall lass so the upper bed just didn’t have any longevity. Seems like a major own goal from VW in the design of the bed.

As far as I’m aware, the other 6m vans which have four berths are all pop tops unless you look at the Adria Twin with the transverse double bunk beds at the rear (can’t remember the model name).

I have been thinking really hard about getting something bigger with a built in loo and larger fridge. I dont want something other than VW or MB based. Here in Sweden the Knaus Boxdrive is about 150.000€ and a Grand California with most needed options are 90.000€ ordered new so Knaus is not on the menu.
I visited my dealer for the second time today this time having my kids aged 15 and 13 to try the upper bed. They cant sleep on it, one side is about right with a flimsy extender but the other side is way too short.
How on earth can a 1m longer and 1m higher van have smaller beds than our Californi Beach? There is shurely enough room inside to make the whole bed longer.

Whats the price of the Hymer Grand Canyon or Free S on the Merc Sprinter platform? That would be my first choice.

Whats the price of the Hymer Grand Canyon or Free S on the Merc Sprinter platform? That would be my first choice.
Great question. On The used car market all Grand canyons here are crazy expensive, like 150.000€ for a three year old one. I studied the configurator for a new Grand Canyon without the myriad of expensive equioment and it is not much more list price than a Grand California. I would rather not have a pop up roof again, but it might be hard under 6m length.

We were very keen on the GC600 but it was mainly that upper bed which killed it for us. Our 10yr old is 5ft already and is destined to be a tall lass so the upper bed just didn’t have any longevity. Seems like a major own goal from VW in the design of the bed.
If we were looking to buy a Gc600 again for 3 people we would leave out the roof bed & just have the storage up their & go for a cab bunk. My daughter hated the roof bed to the extent that she preferred sleeping on a reclined front seat.
I ended up in the roof bed & also hated the lack of headroom, to turn over I had to open the roof light blind and position my shoulders in that space.

We looked at Grand California but purchased Grand Canyon with poptop.
Poptop for us with growing teenages has many more advantages. Not just for sleeping but useable day space and extra storage.
Bedding can also be left in place with roof closed.

Like Wondering Star we considered the GC 600 before getting the Hymer Free S 600, which we love. We spent spent May and June this year touring Europe. I had the suspension upgraded, new black rhino wheels with off road tyres fitted, solar panels and battery upgrade etc.. done to make more capable on rough roads. All the mods still bring it in way under the cost of the Canyon S. I would only consider the Canyon S all wheel drive it you are going to use it off road quite often. Otherwise it is a costly upgrade. Good luck finding your new van.

IMG_5267.jpeg

IMG_5254.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_4996.jpeg

IMG_4585.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

Like Wondering Star we considered the GC 600 before getting the Hymer Free S 600, which we love. We spent spent May and June this year touring Europe. I had the suspension upgraded, new black rhino wheels with off road tyres fitted, solar panels and battery upgrade etc.. done to make more capable on rough roads. All the mods still bring it in way under the cost of the Canyon S. I would only consider the Canyon S all wheel drive it you are going to use it off road quite often. Otherwise it is a costly upgrade. Good luck finding your new van.

View attachment 113844

View attachment 113845

View attachment 113846

View attachment 113847

View attachment 113848

View attachment 113849

View attachment 113850
How did you upgrade the suspension?
Looking to upgrade the soft front great on the motorway but on undulating roads far to bouncy.

View attachment 113844

View attachment 113845

View attachment 113846

View attachment 113847

View attachment 113848

View attachment 113849

View attachment 113850
Great option. The Grand Canyon can be ordered without 4wd as well so they are a bit confusing. It seems they build Grand Canyons on Fiats etc so they are watering out their product names.
Do you have the elevating roof?

Great option. The Grand Canyon can be ordered without 4wd as well so they are a bit confusing. It seems they build Grand Canyons on Fiats etc so they are watering out their product names.
Do you have the elevating roof?
Yes we have the pop top

@kave have a read through this thread. Lots of info.

I’ve checked so many vans. There’s no such thing as a spacious 3/4 berth with fixed roofing.
The hymer Pop-tops are brilliant SCA roof, much bigger than a California, you can now spec Froli with comfort/heated mattress which I would recommend.
Wider, longer, higher, than a California Pop, water tight and comfortably sleeps two . As mentioned, being able to leave stuff up there such as bedding is another plus point.
But most importantly, manual.

There’s a lot of difference internally with the Canyon over a Free in the Merc platform.
I’m not sure many of the additional Canyon features are available on the Free.

There’s a lot of difference internally with the Canyon over a Free in the Merc platform.
I’m not sure many of the additional Canyon features are available on the Free.
Especially with the new interiors as well as many optional extras and off grid options.

Especially with the new interiors as well as many optional extras and off grid options.
The 2024 vans look great.
Although, hefty price tag. Should have strong residuals.

I do wonder what they will use the crafters for as Hymer apparently have bought a loaf of them

I do wonder what they will use the crafters for as Hymer apparently have bought a loaf of them

That’s a question I have for the dealer tomorrow.
I expected them to feature at the Caravan Salon, but not come across anything.
The Crafter is a touch shorter with a bit less torque. Not much in it, however the Crafter gets a lot of good reviews.

Spoke to the dealer I used for the Hymer purchase and he said the Grand Canyon would probably appease some of the Fiat issues I wasn’t keen about.

Last edited:
Grand Canyon S major plus is additional storage cupboards across barn doors is really need for us as a family of four.
Each of us has a cupboard, if it doesn't fit it's not going. So difficult for teenage daughter!

Back