Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Why I decided NOT to wait for the GC

Must admit although I have a 6.1 cali sat on the drive with only 200 miles on the clock and I must add I absolutely love it,it’s a beautiful thing.... I still have a passion for a crafter ? with bfgoodrich and an off-road look ...
Can’t help it :) I think it’s the landrover in me :) :)
after spotting a Celtic vans conversion at the nec in Birmingham while waiting for our california.. we sort of fell in love with them
it keeps niggling away at me!!

6.1 Cali looks fab! Enjoy when you can...

How u all doing with your boxdrives??
Haven't seen it since last year(!)

Parked it up in a barn in December, plugged it in and went to Thailand for 10 weeks mid Jan. Returned to lockdown. Had a warranty job booked for this week, that was postponed until beginning of May but who knows now.............

Disappointed sure, but very aware it could be a lot, lot worse. And we'll all still have them for whenever we can venture back outdoors, be it in our own countries or further afield. Do wish we had room to keep it somewhere near us though.

Last edited:
We picked our Boxfrive up on the 10th March So..oo excited and then Lockdown!! So we slept in it every night at home for the first 2 weeks. Really comfy!!! Morrison's click and collect is the highlight of the week now, so we get to take it for a drive!

Congratulations Judy, and the very best of luck with it. They look great, don't they? What colour is yours?

It's Deep Ocean Blue-
By the way- thanks all for all the info. everyone has provided in this thread- very useful especially the English version of the Boxdrive manual (thanks DNR)

Very nice, Blue was my second choice. Enjoy!
View attachment 59775

@Judy @DNR @knwldgeseker How you guys getting on with the Vans? I'm guessing like mine they've been sat on the drive with nowhere to go? I've managed to stay a whole 2 nights (a weekend before lockdown) in mine in sunny Glasgow to watch my daughter play football; other than that its just been polished :rolleyes:

Whilst its been laid up I've noticed my conversion batteries seem to go from fully charged to fully discharged in about 3 weeks. This seems a bit excessive to me. When testing with all fuses pulled I note there is a load of about 150milliamps which Im struggling to lock down. Anyone noticed anything similar?

@knwldgeseker did you ever resolve your warranty issues?

@Judy @DNR @knwldgeseker How you guys getting on with the Vans? I'm guessing like mine they've been sat on the drive with nowhere to go? I've managed to stay a whole 2 nights (a weekend before lockdown) in mine in sunny Glasgow to watch my daughter play football; other than that its just been polished :rolleyes:

Whilst its been laid up I've noticed my conversion batteries seem to go from fully charged to fully discharged in about 3 weeks. This seems a bit excessive to me. When testing with all fuses pulled I note there is a load of about 150milliamps which Im struggling to lock down. Anyone noticed anything similar?

@knwldgeseker did you ever resolve your warranty issues?

Hi itscalledbob, thanks for asking.

Yeah, it's been sitting storage all the time. We took it out once since we returned from Thailand in mid-March, to refit the original LED headlights. As part of the re-registering procedure we had to have RHD drive headlights fitted so we bought new ones, fitted them for the approval process and now swopped them back out again. All perfectly legal, it will pass an MOT with LHD lights (provided they can be dipped to the other side) but would not have been approved that way for re-registering in the UK.

So now we have 2 x as new RHD LED headlights for 2018+ Crafter on sale on eBay. We wanted the LHD lights as we hope to do most usage of the van in Europe.

As for the warranty issue.................... We originally arranged with Southdowns Motorhomes (very helpful) to do the work in early April, after we'd got back. This was postponed to May and then it had to be cancelled completely as they closed. Now they're just after re-opening and are predicting August/September before they can do it. The van will be 12 months old in October.

So we said sod it, and we booked the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry for July 12th, returning sometime in mid-September. Fridge and Step not sorted. Otherwise we'd run the risk of having had the van for 12 months and never having used it. (and is the Knaus element of the warranty only 12 months?)

We were also told by the dealer in Germany that there is a recall on it, something to do with the battery? I've asked Southdowns to let me know what that's about but I suspect it's because the leisure and engine batteries have been mixed up, it was something Sunstore told me when they were fitting the Solar and B2B.

I have a suspicion also that VW UK don't have the dots connected regarding my VW warranty as I've never heard form them. Have you guys had any VW warranty notices/recalls etc since you bought the vans?

As the van is stored a few miles from me I've had no chance to play with so don't even know where I'd look to be able to measure the state of the leisure battery charge, but it's on EHU all the time so.............

This two month trip is going to teach us a lot!

Hi itscalledbob, thanks for asking.

Yeah, it's been sitting storage all the time. We took it out once since we returned from Thailand in mid-March, to refit the original LED headlights. As part of the re-registering procedure we had to have RHD drive headlights fitted so we bought new ones, fitted them for the approval process and now swopped them back out again. All perfectly legal, it will pass an MOT with LHD lights (provided they can be dipped to the other side) but would not have been approved that way for re-registering in the UK.

So now we have 2 x as new RHD LED headlights for 2018+ Crafter on sale on eBay. We wanted the LHD lights as we hope to do most usage of the van in Europe.

As for the warranty issue.................... We originally arranged with Southdowns Motorhomes (very helpful) to do the work in early April, after we'd got back. This was postponed to May and then it had to be cancelled completely as they closed. Now they're just after re-opening and are predicting August/September before they can do it. The van will be 12 months old in October.

So we said sod it, and we booked the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry for July 12th, returning sometime in mid-September. Fridge and Step not sorted. Otherwise we'd run the risk of having had the van for 12 months and never having used it. (and is the Knaus element of the warranty only 12 months?)

We were also told by the dealer in Germany that there is a recall on it, something to do with the battery? I've asked Southdowns to let me know what that's about but I suspect it's because the leisure and engine batteries have been mixed up, it was something Sunstore told me when they were fitting the Solar and B2B.

I have a suspicion also that VW UK don't have the dots connected regarding my VW warranty as I've never heard form them. Have you guys had any VW warranty notices/recalls etc since you bought the vans?

As the van is stored a few miles from me I've had no chance to play with so don't even know where I'd look to be able to measure the state of the leisure battery charge, but it's on EHU all the time so.............

This two month trip is going to teach us a lot!
Wow, have a great trip! I’m waiting confirmation on what France is doing but hope to be heading out in mid July.

New headlights for type approval, ouch!

as for the recall, does yours have three batteries? One under the bonnet, one in the back and one under the passage foot well? The latter is the vehicle battery and the one under the bonnet is the OE accessory battery and the one in the back is an optional battery.
I understand the three battery models were recalled for a software update, a new heater exhaust pipe, a wire from change unit to control box and an additional wire....

I know many motor companies have extended their warranties but don’t know about knaus. I’ve had a couple of conversations with Southdown and I suspect if they can, they will.

enjoy your trip

I thought LED headlamps were switchable (I think I read that about regular Cali's). I guess that's not true for the Crafter based van?

I thought LED headlamps were switchable (I think I read that about regular Cali's). I guess that's not true for the Crafter based van?

It's true @2into1, but the level of switching that is carried out is not acceptable for the re-registration approval - but is acceptable both for an MOT and for legal compliance while using the van in the UK. (which is the same thing of course:rolleyes:)

Hi - does anybody have any idea why we can't get any hot water when we've set it on truma . We have a flashing icon and boiler is whirrng away but water wont even get warm. Also does anyone have a guide fo the control panel?

Hi - does anybody have any idea why we can't get any hot water when we've set it on truma . We have a flashing icon and boiler is whirrng away but water wont even get warm. Also does anyone have a guide fo the control panel?
Do you have water in the Truma system?

The flashing symbol means it’s heating up. In normal mode this could take upto 3 hrs to fully heat the water. On boost mode with no heating on you should get enough hot water to wash up in 20-30 minutes.

Yes Breeze 1- we do! However Jaydub we obviously haven't been leaving it long enough to heat up. Our last van heated water very quickly!!!

Hi if you are still having issues call Truma they are happy to talk you through it 01283 587900 think option 1

Excellent- going to have another try later on but good to Know that number.

Hi Judy, here's a copy of the US manual, I don't think there's any difference though

Attachments

• truma-heating-cp-plus-installation-operating-us_0.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
Thanks for attachment knowledge seeker.. did everything we should and waited for hours but water still not getting even warm so there must be a fault. Got it booked in for next week to get the z bed modification done so they can hopefully fix it then.
We've been to Barnard Castle C&C site for a few fays- loving the van, despite the water issues. Have a great time in Cornwall- Breeze1 .

Thanks for attachment knowledge seeker.. did everything we should and waited for hours but water still not getting even warm so there must be a fault. Got it booked in for next week to get the z bed modification done so they can hopefully fix it then.
We've been to Barnard Castle C&C site for a few fays- loving the van, despite the water issues. Have a great time in Cornwall- Breeze1 .
Evening, yes a lovely spot, however it’s been raining on and off . Question what do you mean by the z bed modification?

Cheers.

Back