Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Widest Possible Spare Size

Tarquers

Tarquers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
trying to confirm what the widest size wheel that will fit under the van. Mine came on 18s so no spare, which makes no sense given that diameters are the same. I believe the limiting factor is width, but having just bought all the fixings for a spare, trying to understand what the options are, given that the spare fixings come with spacers.

I have seen various reports of 18 and 19 inch wheels that fit, and one confirmation of a 255 tyre fitting, can anyone confirm if 255 is the max with?

I've got an Amorak 7.5" x 18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre that I used as a trial fit.
This was successful. a 255 width would give problems on an 8" rim as
a) the tyre would be 20mm lower to the ground.
b) the 8" rim may cause the rack not to close. As would the tyre.

I didn't use the rim as the offset (45) wasn't enough to accommodate my air compressor (needed 55 minimum).
Wheel available.

I've got an Amorak 7.5" x 18" rim with a 235/55/18 tyre that I used as a trial fit.
This was successful. a 255 width would give problems on an 8" rim as
a) the tyre would be 20mm lower to the ground.
b) the 8" rim may cause the rack not to close. As would the tyre.

I didn't use the rim as the offset (45) wasn't enough to accommodate my air compressor (needed 55 minimum).
Wheel available.
hi @B J G assuming you have a compressor mounted in the spare wheel bay for air suspension?

there is this post here that refers to 255/40/19 fitted and a photo earlier in the post from @daz60 so seems may be able to do something. Guess I will wait until I have decided on the AT tyres to fit first.

Just get a get you home 16" steel van wheel and tyre - works a treat
Planning longer trips so looking to carry a spare the same as normal tyres. Will have to change to 17s or stick with 18s. 16 won’t fit on the wheels.

as well as the width I will need to see what’s the largest size (diameter) that can fit too.

trying to confirm what the widest size wheel that will fit under the van. Mine came on 18s so no spare, which makes no sense given that diameters are the same. I believe the limiting factor is width, but having just bought all the fixings for a spare, trying to understand what the options are, given that the spare fixings come with spacers.

I have seen various reports of 18 and 19 inch wheels that fit, and one confirmation of a 255 tyre fitting, can anyone confirm if 255 is the max with?
Hi,
Sorry to ask a question on an old thread. I see you may have a wider tyre under your van. I have bought a spare wheel to fit under my T6.1 and am about to buy the carrier arm. It’s a 17 inch wheel with a tyre size 235/55 R17. Do you think this width will fit under the van. Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

Back