Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Was the 2014 California shipped with a spare wheel that is a different size to the others?

P

pgben

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can someone help?

When we bought our 2014 California SE SWB 140 PS, we experienced a delay when taking delivery because (we were told that) spare wheels were stolen from a number of the dealership’s vehicles (of which ours was one) and so it had to source a new spare wheel. Today, I received an advisory warning from the same dealer that the vehicle has a different size spare wheel and that it is loose in its carrier.

When I explained to the dealer that I had purchased the vehicle (with that spare) from them and suggested they replace it with the correct size wheel FoC, I was told that they would investigate, but it was suggested that the difference in size may be deliberate, i.e. a smaller wheel came as standard.

Does anyone know if the 2014 California shipped with a spare wheel that is a different size to the others?

Regards

Peter

peter your van would of had 16 inch miyato alloys on from the factory complete with a 16 inch spare wheel . what wheels are on it now because someone might have put 17 or 18 inch wheels on and changed the size of the spare wheel carrier to carry a 17 inch spare

peter your van would of had 16 inch miyato alloys on from the factory complete with a 16 inch spare wheel . what wheels are on it now because someone might have put 17 or 18 inch wheels on and changed the size of the spare wheel carrier to carry a 17 inch spare

Vale46 - I suspect you are right. I bought an ex-demonstrator with upgraded alloys fitted with all-weather tyres. I had assumed that a car advertised by a VW dealership as having upgraded alloys would include an upgrade to the spare wheel. I should also check to see that the wheel is fitted with an all-weather tyre.

Perhaps the dealer made an error when sourcing the late replacement spare wheel and tyre.

If they are 18 inch alloys you can get away with a 17 inch spare but that is the largest you can fit under in the carrier mine was specced with 18’s from the factory so I got a can of gunk and a compressor I have since put a spare wheel carrier and a17 inch spare on mine. I also had to source the toolkit including the jack. I have a beach by the way

Can someone help?

When we bought our 2014 California SE SWB 140 PS, we experienced a delay when taking delivery because (we were told that) spare wheels were stolen from a number of the dealership’s vehicles (of which ours was one) and so it had to source a new spare wheel. Today, I received an advisory warning from the same dealer that the vehicle has a different size spare wheel and that it is loose in its carrier.

When I explained to the dealer that I had purchased the vehicle (with that spare) from them and suggested they replace it with the correct size wheel FoC, I was told that they would investigate, but it was suggested that the difference in size may be deliberate, i.e. a smaller wheel came as standard.

Does anyone know if the 2014 California shipped with a spare wheel that is a different size to the others?

Regards

Peter
No.
16” alloys - 16” steel spare
17” alloys - 17” steel spare
18” alloys - No Spare

Then there is an issue. I have 235/55 R17s and a 205/65 R16C as a spare. Is it safe or even possible to run three 17s with one 16 should I need to use the spare?

safe the rolling radius of the spare won't be that different to the 17 inch

Then there is an issue. I have 235/55 R17s and a 205/65 R16C as a spare. Is it safe or even possible to run three 17s with one 16 should I need to use the spare?
If I bought a new van and had upgraded to 17 wheels from the factory I would have expected it to come with a 17inch steel spare with the same tyre and not a 16-inch steel. I would say they are trying it on supplying a replacement spare of 16inch in size.

Outcome

After chasing the dealership several times, I have a spare wheel that now seems secure in its carrier.

Wheel Size

I was shown the original VW-order for my California stating that the vehicle was shipped with a 16” steel wheel spare with a summer tyre despite the other wheels having been upgraded to 17” alloys with all-weather tyres.

Loose in Carrier

The loose-fitting carrier was due to an incorrectly fitting spacer that the dealership eventually fixed.

Many thanks for all for your help.

If I bought a new van and had upgraded to 17 wheels from the factory I would have expected it to come with a 17inch steel spare with the same tyre and not a 16-inch steel. I would say they are trying it on supplying a replacement spare of 16inch in size.

I was shown the original VW-order for my California stating that the vehicle was shipped with a 16” steel wheel spare with a summer tyre despite the other wheels having been upgraded to 17” alloys with all-weather tyres. I too think this seems odd, but it appears to be correct.

Back