Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping/park for the night in Scotland or Northern Ireland

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our holiday in Southern Ireland will have to be cancelled because of the quarantine rules ,we don’t use campsites we pull up for the night in scenic areas and have never had any problems,if we go to Scotland or Northern Ireland instead can anyone tell us if you can do the same in Northern Ireland or Scotland, or are we likely to be moved on by the police.We did think of travelling into Southern Ireland from Northern to avoid the quarantine has anyone done that

I think if you go to Northern Ireland and stop there for couple of days they'll let you cross the border as I don't think there is quarantine rules between the two Irelands. My son went from Holyhead on 1st July and did self-isolate at his partners home in Galway. Since then they've been travelling round the west coast and now somewhere in Cork! The Irish Gov website doesn't say anything about how long you've had to be in NI before going into Irish Republic though.

Seems to be lots of antipathy / sensitivity to people spending nights parked up in scenic spots this year.

Both from locals and from police.

I have often done as you but I'm not going to this year

My son said the other night they've had no issues in Ireland at all - in fact one local gave them a suggestion as to a good location to stop overnight. They've been on the road for around 5 weeks now and only stopped at campsites for 3 nights! Mind you it does help I suppose having a Galway girl as your travel partner able to speak local lingo's - a little Father Ted at times I might add LOL

Our holiday in Southern Ireland will have to be cancelled because of the quarantine rules ,we don’t use campsites we pull up for the night in scenic areas and have never had any problems,if we go to Scotland or Northern Ireland instead can anyone tell us if you can do the same in Northern Ireland or Scotland, or are we likely to be moved on by the police.We did think of travelling into Southern Ireland from Northern to avoid the quarantine has anyone done that
You will enjoy NI and there are plenty of excellent places to wild camp. You can nip back and forth across the border without any difficulties and there are no checkpoints. Around my own base of Enniskillen there is the beautiful Lough Erne with great access to car parks for quiet nights. Great tourist office in Enniskillen with parking. A 45 minute drive across to the Atlantic coast of Co. Sligo will take you to Streedagh beach and Benbulben mountain. Streedagh is a Long Beach with a very sheltered lagoon on the landward side ideal for swimming and walking. The wilder Atlantic side is the resting place of 3 Spanish Amanda ships. The poet WB Yeats is buried in the shadow of Benbulben and there are great Forrest walks. Going N up the Atlantic coast you will get to Donegal town with an excellent tourist office and parking. Co. Donegal will take a long time to explore and again plenty of places to park for a night or two. If the pubs are open they will give you a mighty welcome and advice over a pint or two.

April 19 I drove the wild Atlantic way, spent around 30days stealth camping along coast. Just the odd night on a campsite.
Ireland has so much space, and a lot less campervans/Motorhome than Scotland I found.
So easy to find amazing spots with no one around.
You will only struggle around the giants causeway 4miles of double yellows, you can still walk in along cliffs for free (good hike).

I'd like to go looking at photos from son but it's getting the wife on a ferry with shortest looking like 2.5 hrs and that's often cancelled!

We're hoping for an Irish wedding one day so she'll have to go on ferry then!!!!!

You will enjoy NI and there are plenty of excellent places to wild camp. You can nip back and forth across the border without any difficulties and there are no checkpoints. Around my own base of Enniskillen there is the beautiful Lough Erne with great access to car parks for quiet nights. Great tourist office in Enniskillen with parking. A 45 minute drive across to the Atlantic coast of Co. Sligo will take you to Streedagh beach and Benbulben mountain. Streedagh is a Long Beach with a very sheltered lagoon on the landward side ideal for swimming and walking. The wilder Atlantic side is the resting place of 3 Spanish Amanda ships. The poet WB Yeats is buried in the shadow of Benbulben and there are great Forrest walks. Going N up the Atlantic coast you will get to Donegal town with an excellent tourist office and parking. Co. Donegal will take a long time to explore and again plenty of places to park for a night or two. If the pubs are open they will give you a mighty welcome and advice over a pint or two.
Thanks for all the advice we will try Northern Ireland from Liverpool to Belfast and maybe return using our already booked return ticket from Rosslaire to Pembroke providing Southern Ireland is still exempt from quarantine returning to ok

Back