Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Titanic Experience, Belfast - Northern Ireland

The best Restaurants, on the North Coast are in Portrush, There are 5x top quality restaurants beside the Harbour. The "Ramore Wine-bar", and "Harbour Bar & Grill" are my favourites, but the others "Coast," "Mermaids" and "Neptune & Prawn" are all good also. "Tides" Restaurant on the other side of Portrush is good also.

If you are visiting the Giant's Causeway.... I would recommend a quick coffee/tea stop in Ballintoy Harbour, it's a steep twisty road (about 1KM long) down to the Harbour itself, there is a little cafe there. Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is also close by. The Dark Hedges, can be quite difficult to locate, so make sure you have a good map before hand, mobile signal isn't great in that area for using maps on a phone.

For food closer to the Airport/Antrim, there's not much springing to mind.... So, I would suggest eating up-North then driving down to the Airport afterwards, it's not that far to go (maybe 45-60mins from Portrush.) The Bushmills Distillery, also nearby the Giant's Causeway, also serves food.
Totally agree about Portrush restaurants. The 5 at the harbour are all owned by the same family and offer good food served quickly at a fair price. Save room for the desserts !!

Which airport are you flying out of? You should allow a minimum hour and 15 to get back to International (from Portrush) and an extra 15 mins for City (30 if weekday rush-hour). Plus your time to drop hire car and get into the terminal.

If you are dropping a hire car off then work out your re-fuel places. In Antrim for International and the Tesco just past the airport for City.

There's a "Brewer's Fayre" and some other chain-restaurants, at the "Junction 1" shopping & cinema complex, near Antrim, if you need to get closer to the International Airport. If flying from City Airport, the "Dirty Duck Ale House" which is in Holywood, about 3 miles from the City Airport, does good pub-grub, and proper ales.

Many thanks folks...hope your weather is as good when I go as it is here this week!

"Deane's At Queens" or "Holohan's Pantry" are both nice..... Or, one of our favourites, "The Barking Dog."

http://www.michaeldeane.co.uk/deanes-at-queens/
http://www.holohanspantry.co.uk
http://www.barkingdogbelfast.com

Good luck with your trip, feel free to ask anything further, happy to help. You'd be best to make reservations for the above, during weekends, you "should" be OK Mon-Wed. The Ulster Museum is just beside Queens also, and Botanic Gardens.... Both worth a quick peep, if you have time.
Getting sorted. Have booked the barking dog on Sunday. Should we stick to Queens area to eat after titanic on Monday. We're staying in Queens area, and have a car. Looking for something relaxing with good food and not too noisy.

I was in Belfast on business this week. Wish I'd had the Cali. Hotel prices are extortionate there during school holidays. I ended up having to pay £99 for the Etap. It's clean and safe but that's about all that can be said for it.

I compensated with a couple of Guinness in the Crown Liquor Bar - an authentic Victorian gin bar owned by the National Trust. No discount for members though :Depressed

Great time had in Northern Ireland!
P1020484.JPG

Thank you everyone for the advice. The Barking Dog was the best for food and ambienc, I loved it! Having walked through the university area and botanic gardens, we found the restaurant....despite dropping my map, forgetting the name of the restaurant (requiring me to phone the hotel for them to remind me of where I had asked them directions to) and then losing charge on my phone when using it as our satnav!
Full marks to the Dukes at Queens and then the cafe at Ballintoy harbour despite the cold wind blowing through it, we lunched on Irish stew and wheaten bread)! We were behind the flow of any traffic and indeed saw about 6 other cars until we reached portrush! Had a quick tour up and back down the biggest Glen of Antrim. Giants causeway was lovely in the late afternoon (carrick-a-rede ropebridge was shut due to the high winds so we regained our schedule), fitted in some time at dunluce castle for evening shots...and ended up with a table overlooking the bay at portrush at the Ramore wine bar...all good fun places!
Then a day at the titanic experience finished us off but we did it all! The pump house and dry dock was especially impressive. Back to the city airport for 7 after tea at the Dirty Duck....flight was delayed so got home at midnight....my 84 year old Dad was even more exhausted than I!
We found those we met to be so friendly. All in all we had a fab time...I'll definitely go back....with my van!

View attachment 21080

Thank you everyone for the advice. The Barking Dog was the best for food and ambienc, I loved it! Having walked through the university area and botanic gardens, we found the restaurant....despite dropping my map, forgetting the name of the restaurant (requiring me to phone the hotel for them to remind me of where I had asked them directions to) and then losing charge on my phone when using it as our satnav!
Full marks to the Dukes at Queens and then the cafe at Ballintoy harbour despite the cold wind blowing through it, we lunched on Irish stew and wheaten bread)! We were behind the flow of any traffic and indeed saw about 6 other cars until we reached portrush! Had a quick tour up and back down the biggest Glen of Antrim. Giants causeway was lovely in the late afternoon (carrick-a-rede ropebridge was shut due to the high winds so we regained our schedule), fitted in some time at dunluce castle for evening shots...and ended up with a table overlooking the bay at portrush at the Ramore wine bar...all good fun places!
Then a day at the titanic experience finished us off but we did it all! The pump house and dry dock was especially impressive. Back to the city airport for 7 after tea at the Dirty Duck....flight was delayed so got home at midnight....my 84 year old Dad was even more exhausted than I!
We found those we met to be so friendly. All in all we had a fab time...I'll definitely go back....with my van!
Glad it all went to plan. I was in Donegal at the weekend - always think that I must take the van next time. Then I check ferry prices :(

We live right next-door to the Titanic Experience Building, in Belfast..... As it has recently won the title of "World's Leading Tourist Attraction" I'm sure some of you may make a visit, at some stage.

So, if any fellow Cali owners, are in the area, please feel free to get in-touch if you need any tips on parking and/or camping options, in the vicinity (some good stealth/wild camping options also.)

I hope to add more, travel tips, for the rest of Northern Ireland over time.... However, I may as well start on my doorstep....

http://titanicbelfast.com/Blog/December-2016/Titanic-Belfast-named-King-of-the-World!/

View attachment 19753
Hi Jonathan,
We have just booked a ferry over to Belfast in May as we have tickets to attend the Biggest Weekend music festival events at the Titanic Slipway. We want to stay somewhere fairly close by and are happy to travel into the city on public transport as we expect parking will be a nightmare with 18,000 people arriving for each event. We have seen the Dundonald Touring Caravan Park is not too far out of the city and seems to be on a main road route and are thinking of booking there for a few nights. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?
We will definitely book tickets to go into the Titanic Experience and after the festival we will stay in Ireland for a couple more days and want to head up to the Giants Causeway. Again, any recommendations and suggestions would be most welcome. This will be my first trip to NI and I am really looking forward to it. We decided to get the ferry and tour in the Cali rather than fly so that we will have the independence and freedom to explore. I love the pictures on this thread of the dark hedges and really want to see them.
Thank you for help.
Lynne

Hi Jonathan,
We have just booked a ferry over to Belfast in May as we have tickets to attend the Biggest Weekend music festival events at the Titanic Slipway. We want to stay somewhere fairly close by and are happy to travel into the city on public transport as we expect parking will be a nightmare with 18,000 people arriving for each event. We have seen the Dundonald Touring Caravan Park is not too far out of the city and seems to be on a main road route and are thinking of booking there for a few nights. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions?
We will definitely book tickets to go into the Titanic Experience and after the festival we will stay in Ireland for a couple more days and want to head up to the Giants Causeway. Again, any recommendations and suggestions would be most welcome. This will be my first trip to NI and I am really looking forward to it. We decided to get the ferry and tour in the Cali rather than fly so that we will have the independence and freedom to explore. I love the pictures on this thread of the dark hedges and really want to see them.
Thank you for help.
Lynne

We’re really loookibg forward to the BBC weekend here also!!

I haven’t stayed at the Dundonald site, but did a drive-by and it looks fine (good for City closeness etc)

We stay at the Loughshore Caravan site in Jordansrown quite often tho, it’s a council site as well, and is a good location also, with bus stop just beside for connection into city. Or a short taxi, or cycle along the cycle/walking path into the city Centre. Loughshore Caravan Park is small, only about 13 pitches. There’s also a popular free overnight parking place Hazelbank, but facilities are closed overnight and no-hookup etc.... plus can be a bit roudy at weekends.

The Titanic slipways arenonly a 10min walk from City Centre. So, I’d advise to stay at either Dundonald or Loughshore and take public transport in/out, as it’ll be chaos around Titanic that weekend.

From the Loughshore site, your pretty much on the Antrim/Causeway Coast.... juts follow it North to Giants Causeway etc.... there are plenty of sites along the way. We like the small site at Cushendun and also are Benone Complex. Food/Restaurants/Nightlife best around Ramore in Portrush. Can be very busy there tho.

Have fun planning, and any questions please ask again.

View attachment 21080

Sound like you had a great weekend @Dottie well-done, precious memories for you and your Dad.

We’re really loookibg forward to the BBC weekend here also!!

I haven’t stayed at the Dundonald site, but did a drive-by and it looks fine (good for City closeness etc)

We stay at the Loughshore Caravan site in Jordansrown quite often tho, it’s a council site as well, and is a good location also, with bus stop just beside for connection into city. Or a short taxi, or cycle along the cycle/walking path into the city Centre. Loughshore Caravan Park is small, only about 13 pitches. There’s also a popular free overnight parking place Hazelbank, but facilities are closed overnight and no-hookup etc.... plus can be a bit roudy at weekends.

The Titanic slipways arenonly a 10min walk from City Centre. So, I’d advise to stay at either Dundonald or Loughshore and take public transport in/out, as it’ll be chaos around Titanic that weekend.

From the Loughshore site, your pretty much on the Antrim/Causeway Coast.... juts follow it North to Giants Causeway etc.... there are plenty of sites along the way. We like the small site at Cushendun and also are Benone Complex. Food/Restaurants/Nightlife best around Ramore in Portrush. Can be very busy there tho.

Have fun planning, and any questions please ask again.

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for the information. We will book a site and travel in by public transport. We are attending both days of the festival so may bump into you there. I guess being so close you will hear it whether or not you attend. We live next door to our village pub so if there is a late event we usually go as we might as well be there and get the benefit rather than just hearing noise from afar.
There are some good bands listed so we expect to have a good couple of days.
We will probably stay at another site you have recommended on our travels to the Giants Causeway as we will be in NI for a week.
I am looking forward to the end of May bank holiday!
Lynne

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for the information. We will book a site and travel in by public transport. We are attending both days of the festival so may bump into you there. I guess being so close you will hear it whether or not you attend. We live next door to our village pub so if there is a late event we usually go as we might as well be there and get the benefit rather than just hearing noise from afar.
There are some good bands listed so we expect to have a good couple of days.
We will probably stay at another site you have recommended on our travels to the Giants Causeway as we will be in NI for a week.
I am looking forward to the end of May bank holiday!
Lynne

Here's a link for the Loughshore Caravan park, the facilities are good (clean and warm) however the site is beside a busy road, so some traffic noise etc..... Hard to avoid that tho, with being so close to the City Centre.

https://antrimandnewtownabbey.campmanager.com/Jordanstown-Loughshore-Park/CheckAvailability.asp

We got our tickets straight away, can't wait to see Orbital and Underworld.

We have however, this weekend just, been offered a free pair of tickets by the organisers due to being classified as "residents" so looks like some friends of ours will get to join us also - Beers on them :cheers

Here's a link for the Loughshore Caravan park, the facilities are good (clean and warm) however the site is beside a busy road, so some traffic noise etc..... Hard to avoid that tho, with being so close to the City Centre.

https://antrimandnewtownabbey.campmanager.com/Jordanstown-Loughshore-Park/CheckAvailability.asp

We have however, this weekend just, been offered a free pair of tickets by the organisers due to being classified as "residents" so looks like some friends of ours will get to join us also - Beers on them :cheers
The line up looks really good, you are very lucky to
have all that going on at your doorstep.
I wish they´d all come and play across from our house. :thumb

Thanks for all your help and advice.

We are especially wanting to see Public Service Broadcasting and First Aid Kit. I do have to admit that I have not heard of all the bands in the line up. Hubby is very into music and he knows of them all and assures me we are in for a good couple of days! We are regular 6 Music listeners so I may well have heard some of the music without knowing who it was playing.

Roll on the end of a May!

What a fabulous thread Jonathan!
The only time that I've visited NI was in the late 1960s whilst in the Air Cadets. I was offered a Hughie Green oppotunity flight to Belfast at short notice. However, having flown to Belfast I had to catch the next flight back so only saw the airport. Probably just as well considering the situation then!

NI has always been on my list of places to visit and tour. I now hope to visit very soon. Great thread.

What a fabulous thread Jonathan!
The only time that I've visited NI was in the late 1960s whilst in the Air Cadets. I was offered a Hughie Green oppotunity flight to Belfast at short notice. However, having flown to Belfast I had to catch the next flight back so only saw the airport. Probably just as well considering the situation then!

NI has always been on my list of places to visit and tour. I now hope to visit very soon. Great thread.
Small world, my only trip to NI was to Ballykelly with the air cadets, mandatory on the last of the Shackleton maritime patrol aircraft was a memorable experience, a swim in the chilly waters of Portrush harbour to practice entering a life raft was character building!

Glad it all went to plan. I was in Donegal at the weekend - always think that I must take the van next time. Then I check ferry prices :(

I've a mate who shops in Tescos (I don't) but if you do also, apparently their vouchers/points scheme can be used for ferry tickets. He has a MoHo and travels 2x returns trips a year with it courtesy of his Tesco points/vouchers. Might be worth looking into.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Probably just as well considering the situation then!

Thanks Borris.

The 18th Belfast Film Festival, is currently underway. I watched a documentary called "68, the start of The Troubles" at the weekend. Having been born in '81 (the year of the hunger strikes) my childhood was very much during the continued unrest, albeit I understand the early 70s suffered the worst of it and '72 is often marked as the "worst, of the worst" year, and that reminds me of another film called "71"

Today, thankfully, Northern Ireland is on catch-up..... There's still some way to go, but the silver-lining, is that Northern Ireland still offers the warmest of welcomes and we have not (yet) become a tourist-trap like so many other places have. So, I would suggest you get here and experience the place soon, before the tour companies and franchise hotels/restaurants get too much of a foot-hold.

My OH was assistant producer on another documentary "Boat Builders" which was short-listed for the Film Festival also.... The history in Belfast's shipyard is amazing, of which so much of it still there to see. There's also the Causeway Coast of course. The Mountains of Mourne. Belfast's famous "Black-Taxi" Tours. Some of the best links golf courses in the World and of course the rugged County Donegal. All of which should ensure you have plenty to see, do and experience here in Ulster. Hope you'll make it over again sometime indeed :cheers

Small world, my only trip to NI was to Ballykelly with the air cadets, mandatory on the last of the Shackleton maritime patrol aircraft was a memorable experience, a swim in the chilly waters of Portrush harbour to practice entering a life raft was character building!
Oooo a Shackleton. If only, I had to make do with a commercial Vickers Viscount. At least I was spared the character building bit though.
Oh dear, we are showing our age now.

Thanks Borris.

The 18th Belfast Film Festival, is currently underway. I watched a documentary called "68, the start of The Troubles" at the weekend. Having been born in '81 (the year of the hunger strikes) my childhood was very much during the continued unrest, albeit I understand the early 70s suffered the worst of it and '72 is often marked as the "worst, of the worst" year, and that reminds me of another film called "71"

Today, thankfully, Northern Ireland is on catch-up..... There's still some way to go, but the silver-lining, is that Northern Ireland still offers the warmest of welcomes and we have not (yet) become a tourist-trap like so many other places have. So, I would suggest you get here and experience the place soon, before the tour companies and franchise hotels/restaurants get too much of a foot-hold.

My OH was assistant producer on another documentary "Boat Builders" which was short-listed for the Film Festival also.... The history in Belfast's shipyard is amazing, of which so much of it still there to see. There's also the Causeway Coast of course. The Mountains of Mourne. Belfast's famous "Black-Taxi" Tours. Some of the best links golf courses in the World and of course the rugged County Donegal. All of which should ensure you have plenty to see, do and experience here in Ulster. Hope you'll make it over again sometime indeed :cheers
I can't wait although it might have to until the end of the year as we are all booked up until then.
I've made a note of the films you've mentioned as we are both film buffs especially anything to do with the UK.
The Titanic has always facinated me so we will most certainly be paying the exibition a visit. So a grand tour of NI is now being penciled into the diary.

We live right next-door to the Titanic Experience Building, in Belfast..... As it has recently won the title of "World's Leading Tourist Attraction" I'm sure some of you may make a visit, at some stage.

So, if any fellow Cali owners, are in the area, please feel free to get in-touch if you need any tips on parking and/or camping options, in the vicinity (some good stealth/wild camping options also.)

I hope to add more, travel tips, for the rest of Northern Ireland over time.... However, I may as well start on my doorstep....

http://titanicbelfast.com/Blog/December-2016/Titanic-Belfast-named-King-of-the-World!/

View attachment 19753
Hi @Jonathan Duke are dogs allowed any where in this exhibit- asking more in hope?
Thank you

Back