Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Titanic Experience, Belfast - Northern Ireland

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We live right next-door to the Titanic Experience Building, in Belfast..... As it has recently won the title of "World's Leading Tourist Attraction" I'm sure some of you may make a visit, at some stage.

So, if any fellow Cali owners, are in the area, please feel free to get in-touch if you need any tips on parking and/or camping options, in the vicinity (some good stealth/wild camping options also.)

I hope to add more, travel tips, for the rest of Northern Ireland over time.... However, I may as well start on my doorstep....

http://titanicbelfast.com/Blog/December-2016/Titanic-Belfast-named-King-of-the-World!/

IMG_9178.JPG

Great picture. Going there next Saturday but sadly without the Cali as it's only a weekend visit.

As an historian that is clearly a place I could "sink" my teeth into....

Sorry :( Couldn't help it ....

Definitely a place to visit.

Think a trip to Ireland could well be on the cards for me.
I went to NI many years ago and remember the scenery to be spectacular.
Will definitely get in touch @Jonathan Duke if I do...

I visit Belfast with work quite regularly but sadly never in the cali. I've often wondered what this is like. We had a cancelled meeting last time and we almost visited out of curiosity.

"Titanic Experience"?? Do they chill the water to freezing temperatures before they throw you in? :eek:

We had a family air bnb week in Belfast last autumn and we're planning to go back when we have the Cali. It's a beautiful area and the locals are really friendly. Can highly recommend the Titanic museum.

We had a family air bnb week in Belfast last autumn and we're planning to go back when we have the Cali. It's a beautiful area and the locals are really friendly. Can highly recommend the Titanic museum.

We also use AirBNB a lot when traveling ourselves. However, perhaps our new Cali will reduce this somewhat :thumb

Glad to hear you had a good visit, and it'll be worth a return in your Cali for sure. The "Causeway Coastal Route" North of Belfast and the "Mourne Coastal Route" South of Belfast, are a must. Plenty of camping and/or wild camping opportunities, and if you are "Game of Thrones" fans, plenty of locations to visit. The overnight Birkenhead to Belfast ferry, or the faster Holyhead to Dublin, are our normal routes.

Last edited:
We also use AirBNB a lot when traveling ourselves. However, perhaps our new Cali will reduce this somewhat :thumb

Glad to hear you had a good visit, and it'll be worth a return in your Cali for sure. The "Causeway Coastal Route" North of Belfast and the "Mourne Coastal Route" South of Belfast, are a must. Plenty of camping and/or wild camping opportunities, and if you are "Game of Thrones" fans, plenty of locations to visit. The overnight Birkenhead to Belfast ferry, or the faster Holyhead to Dublin, are our normal routes.
We hired a car for the day and drove to the Causeway via the Dark Hedges and took the coast road back. Really need to do it over a couple of days in the Cali.

We hired a car for the day and drove to the Causeway via the Dark Hedges and took the coast road back. Really need to do it over a couple of days in the Cali.

Hadn't heard of the Dark Hedges (never seen GoT :eek:) and not realised how spectacular that coastal road looks. Both on the itinerary for Saturday now. Thank you :thumb and @Jonathan Duke for starting the thread.

As a local.... I have witnessed the "Dark Hedges" become somewhat a victim of their own success, during the weekends anyway. The trees are over 200 years old however, only 90 of the original 150 remain. Storm Gertrude, and more recently Doris, did quite a lot of damage. Some say the tour buses have been damaging the root structures under the road also.

However, the felled trees have been put to good use.... "Door of Thrones" have been carved from the timbers, and installed in pubs across the Provence. Mostly, in pubs, where the film crews and actors frequented during the filming (so they are in spectacular locations)

Below is a web-link, with more information and a map of where the doors are installed, it's a great route to follow.... There are 10 doors in total (a pint in each one do I hear you say!!) And below is a photo of me on my Triumph, on a Tuesday last Summer. Must get my Cali there for a photo also soon!

http://interact.discovernorthernireland.com/blog/explore-doors-of-thrones-in-northern-ireland/

TI-MapGOT.jpg
Door-Hanging10_1-780x512.jpg
10671504_10204818974578310_6802443276324182599_n-2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been to the Titanic experience and it's a good day out - even for a tourist tat cynic like me. Not be there in the Cali though. I work over there regularly and keep thinking I'll take the Cali one time - but the ferry charges are just too high to justify it.

That's a shame because Northern Ireland has some beautiful places. A two day business trip to Coleraine with an evening's sea kayaking around th Giant's Causeway can't be beaten. Better than sitting in a dreary hotel room.

I've been to the Titanic experience and it's a good day out - even for a tourist tat cynic like me. Not be there in the Cali though. I work over there regularly and keep thinking I'll take the Cali one time - but the ferry charges are just too high to justify it.

That's a shame because Northern Ireland has some beautiful places. A two day business trip to Coleraine with an evening's sea kayaking around th Giant's Causeway can't be beaten. Better than sitting in a dreary hotel room.

Anyone got a spare £3.5 billion to bridge the gap?

http://www.scotsman.com/business/co...-one-day-link-scotland-with-ireland-1-4130353

Perhaps..... Should the Republic of Ireland, follow the UK, out of the EU, a sea-tunnel between Wales & Ireland would be a more likely scenario. Ireland, will find it very difficult, remaining within the EU27, as all but on paper, UK/IRE are intrinsically linked, and Ireland is somewhat dependant on the UK.

Who knows tho..... For now, the ferry is our only option. Best I've managed in the Cali is £161 return. When I take the motorbike, it's only £65 return.

Last edited:
Doesn't Ireland already link up with Scotland via the Giant's Causeway? You might get wet though.

I'm doing the titanic/giants causeway with my father in April.
Thanks for info on dark hedges!

Any advice on restaurants by Queens University....suitable for 84 year olds?!

I'm doing the titanic/giants causeway with my father in April.
Thanks for info on dark hedges!

Any advice on restaurants by Queens University....suitable for 84 year olds?!

"Deane's At Queens" or "Holohan's Pantry" are both nice..... Or, one of our favourites, "The Barking Dog."

http://www.michaeldeane.co.uk/deanes-at-queens/
http://www.holohanspantry.co.uk
http://www.barkingdogbelfast.com

Good luck with your trip, feel free to ask anything further, happy to help. You'd be best to make reservations for the above, during weekends, you "should" be OK Mon-Wed. The Ulster Museum is just beside Queens also, and Botanic Gardens.... Both worth a quick peep, if you have time.

Here's another question: if we drive up to giants causeway via the dark hedges and back for 7 at airport, where might you suggest we have a meal....probably late lunch-early tea?

Another shout for the Barking Dog – I think that was our best meal in Belfast.

Here's another question: if we drive up to giants causeway via the dark hedges and back for 7 at airport, where might you suggest we have a meal....probably late lunch-early tea?

The best Restaurants, on the North Coast are in Portrush, There are 5x top quality restaurants beside the Harbour. The "Ramore Wine-bar", and "Harbour Bar & Grill" are my favourites, but the others "Coast," "Mermaids" and "Neptune & Prawn" are all good also. "Tides" Restaurant on the other side of Portrush is good also.

If you are visiting the Giant's Causeway.... I would recommend a quick coffee/tea stop in Ballintoy Harbour, it's a steep twisty road (about 1KM long) down to the Harbour itself, there is a little cafe there. Carrick-a-rede rope bridge is also close by. The Dark Hedges, can be quite difficult to locate, so make sure you have a good map before hand, mobile signal isn't great in that area for using maps on a phone.

For food closer to the Airport/Antrim, there's not much springing to mind.... So, I would suggest eating up-North then driving down to the Airport afterwards, it's not that far to go (maybe 45-60mins from Portrush.) The Bushmills Inn, beside the Distillery, also nearby the Giant's Causeway, also serves food.

Last edited:
Back