Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wild camping

I would change the laptop for one that charges via usb-c and then you can use a 12v charger and will not need to use the inverter, let alone a generator
Some laptops with USB-C (ie Dell XPS) will still need a small inverter to be able to charge. But you can buy a small inverter that just plugs into 12v socket to solve:

BESTEK 200W Power Inverter DC 12V to AC 230V 240V 3-in-1 Car Charger Cigarette Lighter Socket + AC Plug + Dual USB Charging Ports Voltage Converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0111YIFK0/?tag=eliteelect-21

@wilburthewombat is your bed in the high position? I doubt. In the high position, you have 41 cms of clearance and the Honda EU10i fits in perfectly. The Hyundai should also fit in perfectly.

The Honda is the best one out there for a reason. Slightly expensive but lasts a lifetime and remains quiet over its lifetime. The Hyundai will also do the job well.

When travelling, in the van. No smell whatsoever. Use a cover/bag specifically built for the genset if required.

When running, leave chained to the nearside wheel and plugged into the outside socket.
Hmm. I didn't even know there was a 'high position'. I looked at the rear shelf rails that it sits on, and didn't see any obvious way of raising them. Maybe I should read the manual! Also, if the rear of the bed is raised by a few cms, how does that work with the folded rear seat which can't (?) be raised - there'd be an uncomfortable step up in the bed base?

I
Resurrecting this thread, and ignoring the discussion about the demise of petrol/diesel, I wanted to find out if anyone here actually has a portable generator that they use with their Cali.
I am thinking of getting one as a back-up only when wild camping, to recharge my laptop (which the 300w build-in inverter cannot come with), and to ease my mind when the sun doesn't shine on my solar panels. Hopefully, like with my 4wd + diff lock, I will never have to use it. It is just for peace of mind, which is something I need a lot of at the moment.
What I can't work out is quite simple - where to keep it. The Honda, and even more so the Hyundai, are just a little too tall to put under the rear shel of my T6.1 Ocean. I measure the available height to be around 35cm, but the Honda is 38cm high, and the Hyundai, which I'd prefer for cost reasons, is 40.5cm.
So, neither will fit with the rear shelf flat down.
If anyone has one of these, where do they store it while travelling? Also, when camping, where does it then go?I wouldn't want to go to sleep with 2 litres of petrol a foot from my head!
In the spirit of less is more and if you really are only doing this for the odd wild camping emergency, you can just run your engine for a bit. Get the Noco booster that @two-saabs suggested above for emergencies when the engine battery is low.

I'm not keen on using dodgy far-east electronics in my van. That's the reason I won't consider one of the new LiPo inverter power banks. I trust Honda and Hyundai

... but wait, there's more ...

While writing this, I found this:
Could this be the answer to my dreams?

Hmm. I didn't even know there was a 'high position'. I looked at the rear shelf rails that it sits on, and didn't see any obvious way of raising them. Maybe I should read the manual! Also, if the rear of the bed is raised by a few cms, how does that work with the folded rear seat which can't (?) be raised - there'd be an uncomfortable step up in the bed base?
You don't have a "high position." pre T6.1 ocean beds had a choice of two hight positions for the rear shelf. One was just about level with the bed base when you didn't have the separate shelf mattress in place, the other it was just about level with the mattress in place.

I'm not keen on using dodgy far-east electronics in my van. That's the reason I won't consider one of the new LiPo inverter power banks. I trust Honda and Hyundai

They're not saying LiFePo4 just lithium ion. I would check for safety. In an accident some chemistries will ignite in a positive feedback loop.

They're not saying LiFePo4 just lithium ion. I would check for safety. In an accident some chemistries will ignite in a positive feedback loop.
That's right. Good quality Li battery setups should have short-circuit protection. The Hyundai spec says "Short circuit, over current, over voltage, under voltage, overload & overheat protection". I trust Hyundai to actually do this properly. I don't trust no-name brands on Amazon.

That's right. Good quality Li battery setups should have short-circuit protection. The Hyundai spec says "Short circuit, over current, over voltage, under voltage, overload & overheat protection". I trust Hyundai to actually do this properly. I don't trust no-name brands on Amazon.
Espacially if I am going to be sleeping right on top of it :cool:

What I meant to say was check that the battery chemistry is suitable for carriage inside a motor vehicle. I would not carry large Lithium batteries that were not LiFePo4 or equivalent in safety.

I have just got an Allpower unit with solar panel, after a friend's recommendation. It was mainly to ensure the fridge (and beers) stay cold over a several nights and dull days, as I've found the leisure battery limit to be 2-3 days.
On our recent trip the Allpower has been used mainly to recharge multiple phones, dab radio and iPads, with the solar panel attached it has managed to restore to full charge even on an overcast day. So didn't have to recharge it via 12v when driving between stops
With an existing solar panel on the roof to charge the leisure battery, I haven't needed to connect the Allpower unit into the Cali as an electric hookup yet.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Go for a big known brand: