Wild stop outside Calais

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Tomorrow I set off for Switzerland, hooray... !!!
I have a late train (Eurotunnel) booked for 11:30pm.

I need recommendation for a place to stop and sleep outside Calais. Thinking I might drive south for about an hour and wondered if anyone knew anywhere quiet, villages/aires just off the motorway.

On my own, so don’t fancy the motorway aires. Always feel a bit dubious.

Thanks

We often stop at le crotoy
About 45mins away on the coast ...
Not that far out of our way and a beautiful place 2 aires one right on the sea in the town centre near the bars

Sorry just noticed you want wild camp

If you are allone and want to sleep just a few hours , as it will be after midnight , just head on the péage and pull over at a gasstation , think it's pretty safe (only a bit noisy maybe ) sleep downstaires leave the top down and sleep for a few hours .
Start off at sunrise about 5am....

This looks the first free aire coming from Calais in your heading direction , lots of other on the site

If you are allone and want to sleep just a few hours , as it will be after midnight , just head on the péage and pull over at a gasstation , think it's pretty safe (only a bit noisy maybe ) sleep downstaires leave the top down and sleep for a few hours .
Start off at sunrise about 5am...
Why top down?
Why leave at 5am?

We stopped on a motorway peage last Thursday. Stopped and top up at 1.30am, set off at 8.30am. Loads of truck drivers doing the same.

Top down= less noise , less work , he is just by himself so easy to sleep downstaires
Early take off becose he probally wants to get to Switserland asap .
Just giving some idea's...

That’s possible HC.
I will probably only sleep for 6 hours, bed ready made and I wedge a blanket under the upstairs bed to act as a screen whilst I sleep downstairs. Any trouble I can move off quickly.
I
then continue early morning down to the Black Forrest for a night.
I need to get to Zurich airport for 11am Friday to pick up my wife and child.

Just see how wake you are , drive until you are ready for a short sleep ...
You can easy pull up a gasstation and hit bed to take a short rest .
A powernap on the train also possible.

We often stop at le crotoy
About 45mins away on the coast ...
Not that far out of our way and a beautiful place 2 aires one right on the sea in the town centre near the bars

Le Crotoy very nice. Quiet place, unlikely to get any hassle.

Le Crotoy very nice. Quiet place, unlikely to get any hassle.

I did have a look. Probably just a little off route for this trip.
Think I will use the auto route petrol station services once I get tired.

I’ve stayed at loads of motorway Aires and they are abs fine but make sure they are ones with a petrol station and on a paying section of motorway. I also try to park away from the trucks as they move after 4 hours and the ones with chillers are noisy. Stayed at one last week, put the roof up and slept like a log until 9am. Fresh croissants for breakfast too.

I’ve stayed at loads of motorway Aires and they are abs fine but make sure they are ones with a petrol station and on a paying section of motorway. I also try to park away from the trucks as they move after 4 hours and the ones with chillers are noisy. Stayed at one last week, put the roof up and slept like a log until 9am. Fresh croissants for breakfast too.
We deliberately chose an aire without a filling station. Our first night on a motorway aire and it was brilliant. We all slept soundly, the boys on the multiflex + extension and we were upstairs. The only hassle was shifting bedding and luggage from the multiflex + extension onto the bench while considering the needs of two sleeping/sleepy boys and a dog.

That’s a good point about waiting until the pay section of the auto-route.
Hadn’t thought of that.

I did have a look. Probably just a little off route for this trip.
Think I will use the auto route petrol station services once I get tired.

Ok -- for others who may be interested -- there's an "Aire de Camping Car" near the town. Looks like a big car park full of white motorhomes. But also some quieter spots by the coast (you will see them on park4night) -- it's a lovely peaceful area. We stayed at a great campsite (Les Marguerites) which was small family run and good value.

I slept in the ferry terminal car park for one night last year. Kept the roof down to be conspicuous. Cafe opened at 7am I think. I was on my own.

Different touring set up but previously spent decades touring with a caravan and only ever stopped at Aires with full facilities, petrol etc as the security is better.
Check the signs for the distance ahead to an Aire and plan your stop based on how tired you are feeling. Set off again when you feel like it as you always have a daytime break/stop later.
Try to time any dense traffic areas when they will be at their quietest. Half hour in an Aire is better than the same time in a traffic queue.

We have been using Campercontact app on the iPad. It’s brilliant for £3.99. Works off line, updates regularly and provides searches for Aires or campsites or both. Complete with reviews, photos, prices, facilities, directions. It’s got the lot. Great way of planning ahead if you any to stop somewhere nice and step out for a beer and a pizza.

45E300CF-84F8-473C-B1B3-C731A109CFB4.png

EC858E89-AAD5-40CE-A6A3-1893D4C43503.png

I’ve also used the Campercontact app, we crossed to Calais around midnight recently and parked at the Carrefour supermarket in Coquelles, felt very safe, no problems

We use cite d'europe, feels safe as normally plenty of other motorhomes there as well, also you can grab breakfast from the boulangerie and use the toilets in the morning

We use cite d'europe, feels safe as normally plenty of other motorhomes there as well, also you can grab breakfast from the boulangerie and use the toilets in the morning
I’ve slept here a few times too. It’s designated for campervans and we use the toilets and then do a big (ish) shop in the morning.

Boulevard Du Kent, 62231 Coquelles, France

Yesterday I drove the cost road from Boulogne to Sangatte between 9pm and 10pm. There were plenty of campervans parked up just off the road in lovely locations, and probably plenty hidden from view that we didn't see. There are signs in place where they do not want camping, the restrictions being mostly the Sangatte end of the road rather than the Boulogne end of the road.

I have stopped on Motorway by petrol stations before and all good. I generally park along the side of the service station as this is quite often covered by CCTV and well lit. I would agree that 'peage' motorways are best...

Back