Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windermere, Gatwick and Sheffield Camping?

teeboy

teeboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello

At work we have just won a few new projects, so I will be spending some time in hotels. One option is to use the Cali and get the company to pay me a daily allowance in lieu of the cost of a hotel. That way I make a few quid, the company saves on hotel bills and everyone is happy.

Sadly the projects start pretty quickly and it is cold and most sites are closed. So does anyone know any nice sites that are open in the winter and are near the following locations:

Lake District - Windermere (starting next week)
Gatwick - starting in Feb
Sheffield - starting end of Feb

Quite a bit of travelling but potentially some nice locations :)

If I can't find anything then hotels it is, but using the Cali would be more of an adventure...

T

Caravan club site at Gatwick is a good site, we have stayed there a few times when visiting family, it is right next to a pub aswell (it is close to the runway also but you get used to the noise after the first few planes take off)

Sykeside is open all year. Hook ups, heated showers/loos, good pub on site but about 10/12 miles from Windermere

Thanks Briwy, that is closer than any I could find.

Martin, I might give that a go - I like a bit of plane spotting :D

+1 for Sykeside. But it's a heck of a commute to Windermere from there - over Kirkstone Pass!

Looks like it is only 10 miles on Google Maps - is it a tough 10 miles?

If the weather gets bad will it become traumatic :)

Think I might use the hotels next week and have a look around to get a feel for the lay of the land.

Thanks

Tony

Have a look at the caravan club sites at Coniston and Grange Over Sands. Both are open all year and are great sites. You don't have to be a member at either site.

teeboy said:
Looks like it is only 10 miles on Google Maps - is it a tough 10 miles?

If the weather gets bad will it become traumatic :)

The Kirkstone Pass is usually one of the first to close if there's sufficient snow. The top is home to one of the highest pubs in England. It's not a wide road and will probably suffer from ice with a few clear nights.

Probably somewhere worth a visit when you don't need to be in Windermere every day. Unfortunately I think your choice of places will be very limited or require a longer commute each day.

Bray Farm to the NW of the lake may be worth a try. No hookups though.
Or Hill of Oaks on the east of the lake but south of Windermere have limited availability at this time of year could be worth a call.

Given the choice I know I'd rather enjoy a stay in the camper. I hope you're able to find somewhere suitable.

Sheffield may well depend on where in the City you need to get to. The better sites are in the Peak District to the South and West of Sheffield. Might take you up to an hour to get into the centre of Sheffield.

Having said that if you're working in the middle of the City and don't need the Cali to move about during the day there's a pretty good train service between Sheffield and Manchester which runs through the Hope Valley taking in places like Bamford, Hathersage, and Edale. Some nice sites out there and a short hop into the centre of Sheffield.

Gatwick Caravan Club site.

The pub next door has closed down. ( The flight tavern ). so you will be driving to get dinner!