Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen chips

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am not sure if I am just unlucky or it is the angle of the T6 bonnet but I am suffering quite a few stone chips on the windscreen, my other car I have had for ten years and not one chip on the windcreen however the Cali has at least five !! Thankfully these are all outside of the driver area but annoying all the same.

Is it worth having these repaired? Do the repairs actually look OK? Anyone else have the same problem? Safeguard offer free windscreen repairs so I was considering giving them a call as there is no excess.

In my experience chips always develop into cracks, especially in cold and icy weather. So if I were you I'd get booked into Safeguard pronto.

If just small chip they can be repaired by the larger windscreen repair / replacement companies. I had one repaired and the repair is invisible. They took photographs before and after and give you a guarantee (and it is approved repair for MOT tests)

It is than 204 speed boast Victor they just hit the bonnet on my 150

On a serious note I have several chips repaired over the years free of charge via insurance without effecting policy (never on Cali) they have always worked well never gone on to crack and they remained invisible.

I'm on my 2nd replacement windscreen and I have filled about 50 to 60 minor stone chips on the bonnet and bumper. I think it is related to the angle of the bonnet personally as I have never had so much damage on previous cars. 30 months old and 28000 miles if that's relevant at all.

Ummm.......don't follow other vehicles too closely? Just a thought.

A windscreen fitter once told me that you should always try to repair rather than replace your windscreen. He reckoned that the replacements were never as well fitting as the factory original.

Ummm.......don't follow other vehicles too closely? Just a thought.
What distance would you recommend given the variables in play eg size of stone, speed it is travelling when launched, wind speed, impact speed etc?

What distance would you recommend given the variables in play eg size of stone, speed it is travelling when launched, wind speed, impact speed etc?
I was merely pointing out that the closer one follows a vehicle the more likely one was to get stone chips be they on the bonnet or screen. Just trying to be helpful. Edit: Clearly a tail-gater will get more stone chips than a non tail-gater.

I was merely pointing out that the closer one follows a vehicle the more likely one was to get stone chips be they on the bonnet or screen. Just trying to be helpful. Edit: Clearly a tail-gater will get more stone chips than a non tail-gater.
Yes I see what you mean but it is impossible not to get close particularly in when overtaking. I don't think,I have changed my driving style with the Cali over my other cars but the amount of stone chips is ridiculous. The only other thing I can think of is the state of our roads with so much more surface damage from potholes etc which is very well documented.

Yes I see what you mean but it is impossible not to get close particularly in when overtaking. I don't think,I have changed my driving style with the Cali over my other cars but the amount of stone chips is ridiculous. The only other thing I can think of is the state of our roads with so much more surface damage from potholes etc which is very well documented.
I think the state of our roads may be a factor as you say, especially following last winter, that said I have covered nearly 10k in my Cali across the UK and seven other European countries since February this year and can't say I have a major stone chip issue. Must check closer when I wash her next week before going to the Bolsover meet! :)

I had one, got I repaired and it is now invisible … but you have to do it as soon as possible. I payed 30€ for 30 min work.

I had one, got I repaired and it is now invisible … but you have to do it as soon as possible. I payed 30€ for 30 min work.
I'm happy to do them myself. Takes a bit of time and patience with a small amount of paint from a genuine VW touch up paint pot and then flatting with some compound. Each one takes about 20 mins or so now I have my technique sorted.

I'm happy to do them myself. Takes a bit of time and patience with a small amount of paint from a genuine VW touch up paint pot and then flatting with some compound. Each one takes about 20 mins or so now I have my technique sorted.

Ahh … I am talking about chips in the windscreen (glass), don't think its a good idea to fix them with paint ;-)

… have one in the bonnet as well, but it is so small and only in the top paint, so I don't bother.

I think the state of our roads may be a factor as you say, especially following last winter, that said I have covered nearly 10k in my Cali across the UK and seven other European countries since February this year and can't say I have a major stone chip issue. Must check closer when I wash her next week before going to the Bolsover meet! :)
Mine is Beach is white so it maybe they are just a bit more visible as the grey primer stands out where the damage is.

Ahh … I am talking about chips in the windscreen (glass), don't think its a good idea to fix them with paint ;-)

… have one in the bonnet as well, but it is so small and only in the top paint, so I don't bother.
Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Back