Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen replacement – green heat insulating glass

zerofour

zerofour

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Driving up the M1 on Saturday our Cali sustained a stone chip and 10-15mm crack in the windscreen. We have green heat insulating glass in the cab and I wondered whether the windscreen would be a standard Autoglass replacement or a special VW dealer fit. Or is the door glass only insulating rather than the windscreen?

Also if you have auto wipers/lights you might find the screen isn't a stock item
The plastic surround that holds the sensor is part of the screen rather than stuck on afterwards. Another daft VW idea.
Took three days to get us a new screen.

Also if you have auto wipers/lights you might find the screen isn't a stock item
The plastic surround that holds the sensor is part of the screen rather than stuck on afterwards. Another daft VW idea.
Took three days to get us a new screen.
Did the insurance company know which windscreen variant to source from your reg number or did you need to inform them of the purchase spec to get the right windscreen?

Can't remember exactly but I think they knew. All they asked was it tinted.
Autowindscreens came back to us within an hour to say they weren't a stock item.
They said it is a stupid way to do it as they could easily stick the surround onto a standard screen.

Had a replacement windscreen recently. Lady on the phone couldn't figure out which one it was (we have the heated variant too) so she called VW and got all of the information from them. If your insurance company uses Autoglass it goes to their Specials department. They were able to fit within 48hrs, I was impressed given that the last windscreen on my previous car took nearly a week for an appointment slot.

Did the insurance company know which windscreen variant to source from your reg number or did you need to inform them of the purchase spec to get the right windscreen?
My insurance company put me through to the Autoglass claims team. I mentioned the green insulating glass, they didn't seem to know much about it but said that they would always fit the same as the original. He reckoned the screen may be able to be repaired. Autoglass are coming this afternoon so I'll know more then.

So, Autoglass fitted the new screen today. Although it's 'like for like' as I was told, apparently this isn't an actual VW item. The rear view mirror is too high and the flaps that secure the front blinds wont pull down without moving, twisting and manipulating the mirror. I understand that they don't fit OEM screens as standard - it it needs to be improved by my insurance company first. Autoglass are getting back to me.

Last edited:
I can't pull the blind flaps down without having to move/twist the mirror on my new T6. Can't get a clear distant view out of the rear either.
Brand - Saint Gobain Sekurit

That's interesting. Our original screen was the same brand but with a VW prefix and it was fine. The new screen is 'ACG Automotive' and I can't seem to position the mirror so well and it interferes with the blind fixings.

That's interesting. Our original screen was the same brand but with a VW prefix and it was fine. The new screen is 'ACG Automotive' and I can't seem to position the mirror so well and it interferes with the blind fixings.
Mine also has a VW logo.
Did a quick measure from the mirror to right hand blind top flap.
With the mirror in driving position and flap in stowed/driving position. I put a tape measure vertically up across the mirror glass to the edge of the flap, only one point where you can do it, and had a 24mm gap.
If more clarity needed I'll take a photo tomorrow when daylight. just ask.
I always feel that the mirror wants to be rotated through 180 degrees to drop it slightly.

Might seem a silly question but is your mirror wider at the top or bottom. Mine's wider at the top and feel sure that if I could spin it round so that the wide part was at the bottom the problem would be solved.
I haven't had the courage to try to snap the mirror assembly out (should do as a safety feature) perhaps somebody can reassure me as to safe method.

The mirror was removed with some plumbers pliers around the 'stem'. He used some rag around it to protect from damage.

20170520_093038[1].jpg Yours looks even closer to the flaps than mine.
My mirror is the other way up but I have the rain sensing wiper control option which puts a big plastic assembly behind the mirror so we aren't comparing like for like.

It is possible to get special pads for attaching the mirror to the windscreen, perhaps if they simply remove your mirror and fix a pad lower down your problem would be solved.

Last edited:
I think the fixing pad was pre-installed on the screen but it definitely should be lower - it was on the old screen. I'll wait to hear back from Autoglass.