Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Windscreen replacement advice

*thread resurrection*
My windscreen just developed a crack in the lower right side (LHD, so passenger side). It is entirely on the inside between the two outer glass layers. I guess it must have been caused by a fault exacerbated by the below zero temperatures we've had the past two days.

Ironically it seems to have cracked on the way to the dealer this morning as I had an inspection scheduled, but I didn't see it hidden behind the two emission stickers I have there. The dealer pointed it out to me when I went to pick up the car, but then as I'm driving the 20 kms towards home it cracked some more and is about a foot long running horizontally. I'm planning to drive to Courmayeur tomorrow for a long weekend start to the snowboard/ski season but now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive.

I stopped by the local VW in town (not the dealer from before) and they thought it should be ok because the crack is entirely between the double glass outside layers. They thought it might grow some more but won't shatter. I managed to contact the insurance and negotiated for my local dealer to handle it for me and got an appointment for next Tuesday when I'm back from the slopes.
Wish me luck!
Is this a heated windscreen?

As it is outside your line of vision, I presume, put some strong tape on the outside because water could enter and freeze overnight.
That's a good idea. Initially (based on my local VW garage) who said it was useless because he said it was entirely between the glass panes, which didn't make much sense to me, but what do I know, eh? I just now I double checked. I can feel the crack on the outside with my fingernails, therefore putting tape as you suggested makes sense and also makes me feel more secure to start my trip in a few hours. Thanks!

Is this a heated windscreen?
Not heated but an hour before setting out I ran the auxiliary heater so the van was toasty and when I left I directed the windshield blower to the window at full blast. Maybe it would have better to either not set the blower or do it with a cold van so the temperature difference is less.

Not heated but an hour before setting out I ran the auxiliary heater so the van was toasty and when I left I directed the windshield blower to the window at full blast. Maybe it would have better to either not set the blower or do it with a cold van so the temperature difference is less.
No, it's faulty. It should be more than capable of not failing in the scenario that you mention.

Could have been an existing weakness there eg small chip, and a rapid temperature change might have caused the glass to fracture at that point. Really depends on that temperature differential.

Make sure they don't re-attach the rear view mirror too high to get clearance for the blind clips...there's a high chance someone not familiar with the vehicle to screw that up

Could have been an existing weakness there eg small chip, and a rapid temperature change might have caused the glass to fracture at that point. Really depends on that temperature differential.
I had another look when I was installing some tape over the crack and saw a very small chip at the point where the crack starts so I think you may be right. The crack didn't get any bigger over the 300 km trip today so I'm happy about that. I am returning home on Monday and have an appointment for Tuesday to get it changed.

I had another look when I was installing some tape over the crack and saw a very small chip at the point where the crack starts so I think you may be right. The crack didn't get any bigger over the 300 km trip today so I'm happy about that. I am returning home on Monday and have an appointment for Tuesday to get it changed.
All done and dusted. They even transferred the German and French emission stickers over to the new windshield and the van got a very thorough cleaning inside and out. The insurance covered everything and ended up paying about £1726, which is much more than I expected.

Wow £1726 for a windscreen. Mine has a small crack in front of the passenger. Its been there for years. I did get Autoglass to do a chip repair but that didn't make much difference. I have been wondering how much a new screen would cost. Thats a big chunk of change.

Wow £1726 for a windscreen. Mine has a small crack in front of the passenger. Its been there for years. I did get Autoglass to do a chip repair but that didn't make much difference. I have been wondering how much a new screen would cost. Thats a big chunk of change.
Well it is Switzerland.......

Back