Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wing mirror with Side Assist broken - So many questions

markusschork

markusschork

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
It has happened, we had our left hand side mirror smashed (at a fairly low speed). Result is, some bits are missing but the mirror still folds up and down.
I've looked on the forum but couldn't find the right answer to our situation.

Can I order only the missing bits: side assist, upper and lower cover plus the mirror itself? Or do I/should I replace the whole mirror?

Is this something I can fix myself? (Assuming I can get the parts)
Will it require some technical tools to reset something or can I just repair and no Carista or similar required?

Any hints where I can order the parts? Where can I even find the right part numbers?

Thanks for any help!!

c056ad17-d52b-4101-9a0f-b05ea64fa9bf.jpeg

41914ba1-73fd-4417-869d-ae18fd6fdf67.jpeg

Ah! That's unfortunate. It is a fairly simple mechanism and I would replace the broken bits myself. The current go to place is LLL Parts https://www.lllparts.co.uk/

They also have the diagrams that you can chose the parts from.

If in doubt, post on here the parts you are planning to order with more pics of your broken mirror and the hive can help you.

Similar happened to mine a few years ago. I could be wrong, but it looks like only your Upper & Lower Mirror pods are knocked off & mirror shattered, the 2 connectors appear to be merely your Heated Mirror connectors. Try here for mirror glass http://vwgenuineparts.co.uk/ and / or Ebay for the genuine pods, some suppliers will paint them for you at extra cost. The upper & lower pods are tricky but not impossible to DIY fit (Flimsy plastic tabs need careful aligning). You may need a trim tool.

Last edited:
It has happened, we had our left hand side mirror smashed (at a fairly low speed). Result is, some bits are missing but the mirror still folds up and down.
I've looked on the forum but couldn't find the right answer to our situation.

Can I order only the missing bits: side assist, upper and lower cover plus the mirror itself? Or do I/should I replace the whole mirror?

Is this something I can fix myself? (Assuming I can get the parts)
Will it require some technical tools to reset something or can I just repair and no Carista or similar required?

Any hints where I can order the parts? Where can I even find the right part numbers?

Thanks for any help!!

View attachment 100222

View attachment 100223

Similar happened to mine a few years ago. I could be wrong, but it looks like only your Upper & Lower Mirror pods are knocked off & mirror shattered, the 2 connectors appear to be merely your Heated Mirror connectors. Try here for mirror glass http://vwgenuineparts.co.uk/ and / or Ebay for the genuine pods, some suppliers will paint them for you at extra cost. The upper & lower pods are tricky but not impossible to DIY fit (Flimsy plastic tabs need careful aligning). You may need a trim tool.
As Doorbundle the upper and lower pods can be tricky. The plastic is fairly brittle so knocking off the clips is easy - I know. It was suggested that prior to fitting warm the clips up and that makes installation less stressful. I have not tried this but it does seem to make sense. Up to you.

I think you are right, but it is the version with the side assist lamp for the blind spots which I cannot find anywhere

Only the light for the side assist is in the mirror unit. The sensor is near top of both rear brake lights. It will only be 2 wires for the side assist indicator light (and 2 additional wires if the OP has heated mirrors).
That is right, I can see 2 sets of 2 wires; one for the light, one for the heated mirror. Oh, and there is the antenna as well, but I think that is all still intact.

If the antenna is flapping around it secures with slots over a couple of tabs at the bottom. Mine was flapping but undamaged. To preserve everything until I fixed it I isolated the mirror terminals & taped a plastic bag over the whole surviving unit.

Ok, so after contacting LLLParts as I couldn't find the right diagram, I was able to get to this page here:

And I think I need the parts 6, 13 and 16. But in the list at the bottom of the page, there are always multiple (with different prizes), how do I select them correctly?
Why is this page listed as fitting "2016 - 2019 Volkswagen Transporter", this is worrying to me

Thanks for all your help!

Hi - I will be no help but I have a similar issue but on the drivers side - VW Couldn't fix mine today as the connector plug isn't present on the wires to connect into the new Side Assist warning lamp!

Must still be connected to the lamp - wherever that is now! - Have you got 2 wires with a connecting plug that fit into the lamp - I dont suppose you can see which colour wire goes in which side of the connector??

Yes it’s just a special mirror glass for blind spot: probably VW part only. The upper and lower casings are widely available elsewhere but you’ll have to get the upper painted whatever. My experience is don’t bother with copy parts as I tried 2 upper covers and they were badly made. Get the part numbers off the old parts and order via club shop. It all clips together easily enough… unclipping is a different story.

I got the mirror glas from vanstyle. The casing upper part and the light signalling the blind spot from LLLparts. Hope this is helpful