Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wing mirror - spring broken?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
The wing mirror on the driver's side does not stay fixed while driving. What I mean is that it slightly recoils, so that we have to reposition it when driving for a while. I think there might be a problem with some kind of a spring inside.

I noticed that, when folded in, there is a bit of spring tension (when pushing against the mirror, it recoils a bit). This is not happening on the other side. When folded out, the mirror is free to move with no spring tension (on the other side, you can push the mirror a bit and it recoils by action of a spring).
Also when folding in this mirror, it there is a loud squaking noice.

I opened the mirror, put off the black frame, took off the underside but could not reach the spring. Is this anything I can check myself? I asked the VW mechanic, and he just wanted to change the mirrror for a new one - which is very expensive...

Can anybody help me out? Thank you so much!!

What vehicle? On mine one side squeaked on folding so was changed under warranty. Worked perfectly otherwise. Is it the whole mirror assembly or just the glass?

Sorry, I am talking about T5 California built 2007. It's the mirror housing, not the glass.

Are these electric wing mirrors?
I had a problem at the weekend when one got stuck half way...in for a fix next week, but I'd love to know if anyone else has had the problem.