Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyre questions

jepotherepo

jepotherepo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi - apologies if the answer to this is already out there - i have searched!

What winter tyres are people using? Im having trouble finding much choice. Currently I'm running 215/60 r17s that have a load rating of 103. I read of lots of people using tyres that don't fit the reccomended details for speed or load for my tyre size. Is this because everyones using different rims or are people ignoring the load rating etc. If so doesn't this invalidate your insurance if you had an accident?

I have the Roadstone Eurowin 650 in the size 205/65 R16.
Summer tyres are 215/65 R16.
You can go in lower speed rating without problems, if you put a sticker with the maximum tyre speed. But as T = 190 km/h, I don't need a sticker as my prescripted maximum speed is 170 km/h.
Load rate for me must be at least 102, for the T6 apparently it is 103.
As long as the size is right for your van, and the load rate is at least 103, you are ok.
Just if you would be having Q, P, N, or lower, you need a sticker with the matching speed displayed in the vehicle.
snelheidsindex.png
My summer tyres are H, but I must find a long enough downhill road and backwind to be able to reach that speed.

Oh, just for the record. I wouldn't recommend those Roadstone tyres!

Not much in the way of options as you say.

or an all season option

You could switch to the 235/55/17 103v size for a much broader range of tyres.

I’m running 225/65/17 (106V), Cooper Discoverer All Season (3 peak M+S rated). Nice to have a bit more profile and ride height (17mm) in the winter.

I’m running 225/65/17 (106V), Cooper Discoverer All Season (3 peak M+S rated). Nice to have a bit more profile and ride height (17mm) in the winter.
But nearly 5% speedo error. Which would be indicating very little error in true terms, going faster than indicated.

But nearly 5% speedo error. Which would be indicating very little error in true terms, going faster than indicated.

I’m doing a proper run tomorrow and will calibrate against tomtom GPS. I’m expecting the speedo to be pretty much bang on and certainly more accurate than it is currently. I‘ll still be travelling at the same speed!

Arguments for not using Roadstone?
There are a lot of vibrations while driving over 80 km/h.
No way to get them away, even rotating the tyre over the rim.

I just took that brand because a colleague of mine had the same brand on his Sharan and was very pleased with it.
Only advantage: even more grip in snowy conditions than with the summer tyres on.

I’m doing a proper run tomorrow and will calibrate against tomtom GPS. I’m expecting the speedo to be pretty much bang on and certainly more accurate than it is currently. I‘ll still be travelling at the same speed!
Using my TomTom as a reference with summer tyres speedo was 2MPH out and Allseason tyres were 3MPH out. 235/55/17's, plan to use 235/60/17 Allseason next time which like you, will be pretty well accurate MPH on speedo. At 70MPH.

Hi - apologies if the answer to this is already out there - i have searched!

What winter tyres are people using? Im having trouble finding much choice. Currently I'm running 215/60 r17s that have a load rating of 103. I read of lots of people using tyres that don't fit the reccomended details for speed or load for my tyre size. Is this because everyones using different rims or are people ignoring the load rating etc. If so doesn't this invalidate your insurance if you had an accident?

Conti Vancontact here 215/65 R 16 on steels. Good for chains (got the small brakes)
Continental VanContact Winter 215/65 R16C 109/107R

Conti Vancontact here 215/65 R 16 on steels. Good for chains (got the small brakes)

I have also have Continental VanContact Winter but 205/60/R17 on steels. I don't know the R rating I would need to check. They came as part of my negotiations with the garage selling the van. :thumb
Obviously, here in Switzerland we tend to get a reasonable choice of winter tyres!

I have also have Continental VanContact Winter but 205/60/R17 on steels. I don't know the R rating I would need to check. They came as part of my negotiations with the garage selling the van. :thumb
Obviously, here in Switzerland we tend to get a reasonable choice of winter tyres!

IMO down here they like to sell the California with winter tyres (cheaper?).
Friend of mine got some 235/65R16 Bridgestone... (do not knwo the model) and an other one some Conti R18 (picture).
Personal I need some narrow tyres because I sometimes need chains.
6ff2f3a5c1c70a22a5ed804111cff63b.jpg

You guys are really playing with the sizes.
235/65 R16?
205/60 R17?
Not really VW approved sizes for the California.
Width and height differs.
Speedo completely offset.

But who am I to judge?

You guys are really playing with the sizes.
235/65 R16?
205/60 R17?
Not really VW approved sizes for the California.
Width and height differs.
Speedo completely offset.

But who am I to judge?

Maybe typo of my friendo:
235/60 R16 104H sounds better.

aebdfdc6fd9f1736359e565d7a063b98.jpg

Last edited:
That’s just what I’ve been looking at today!

No problems.
You never know what sizes they want to sell you.
The 215/60 R17 is VW approved for the California, so don't worry.

Just the 235/65 R16 should be the 235/60 R16, as stated above.

So you are all on the right track.

No problems.
You never know what sizes they want to sell you.
The 215/60 R17 is VW approved for the California, so don't worry.

Just the 235/65 R16 should be the 235/60 R16, as stated above.

So you are all on the right track.
I'd have thought a 235 on a 6.5" width rim was too wide, unless a typo and 17" meant.

You are right. Then you will need a different rim. 7Jx16 ET55, instead of 6,5Jx16 ET51.

You are right. Then you will need a different rim. 7Jx16 ET55, instead of 6,5Jx16 ET51.
If snow chains being fitted I'd suggest ET 50 or 45 to give inner clearances. If they can be found in 16"
I noticed that my 235's with standard 7" x 17" ET55 rim have little clearance on the rear inner arch.

Winter tyre novice here with stupid questions.

I assume the normal thing to do is own 2 set of tyres (winter and summer) and one set of wheels and have the tyres swapped over at a garage? Or...

Do people have two sets of wheels (and tyres) which means it's much easier to swap them over oneself as you can just jack up one's vehicles and get busy with a socket set?

Lastly, if you have winter tyres on the vehicles but keep the regular spare slung under the vehicles, is that an issue in the even to of actually needing to use the spare... or is having three out of four snow tyres when limping to the garage to get to flat snow tyre fixed not really an issue?

Told you they were stupid questions!

thanks!