Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

winter tyres and snow chains - VWCS frustrations...

pje

pje

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
T6 Ocean now built and on its way. We have also ordered an extra set of alloys from our dealer via their parts department - not a problem - but with a total lack of technical information on the T6 I thought it was worth a call to VWCS just to get VW's recommendation on the winter tyre size and to ensure compatibility with snow chains. VWCS response : 'we do not recommend winter tyres or snow chains on UK spec California' I have had this response three times over the past 3 weeks, and as you might expect I am starting to loose my patience! Today I received a further call - the same stock answer.

I suggested that they look at this VW information (which is for the T5... but in the vein hope that it might focus minds):

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.c...achment.file/_complete_winter_wheels_2015.pdf

The response : 'that's for the German market, not for the UK' I have now asked VWCS to write to me and explain how the wheel assembly and other relevant parts of the German spec vehicle differ from the UK vehicle (I would be amazed if they do) hoping that the act of writing a letter might finally make them see sense!

At the moment I am assuming that I will be putting 215/55 R17s on my 17" Devonports with a load rating of 103 or higher..? I am assuming that this will allow me to run with snow chains when they are needed. I would be grateful for any reassurances from T5 owners.

(great forum, by the way!)

It may be that the info in the link you give may be quite what VW think is advisable technically on the Cali. But legislation concerning winter tyres, the use of snow chains, etc is very much a country (and in some countries a county) thing. And where they may be comfortable matching what they think is best technically with what they know is required/allowed in Germany, it may that they are not comfortable suggesting that same solution for another country.

Having said that, I DO think they should be able to advise what is the best match for the Cali within the UK legislation, since they sell the bloody car there!

Have a look at some of the tyre suppliers like Mytyres or Black Circles as they do vehicle specific wheel and winter tyre packages. They will tell you what you need based on your registration or vehicle make and model.

T6 Ocean now built and on its way. We have also ordered an extra set of alloys from our dealer via their parts department - not a problem - but with a total lack of technical information on the T6 I thought it was worth a call to VWCS just to get VW's recommendation on the winter tyre size and to ensure compatibility with snow chains. VWCS response : 'we do not recommend winter tyres or snow chains on UK spec California' I have had this response three times over the past 3 weeks, and as you might expect I am starting to loose my patience! Today I received a further call - the same stock answer.

I suggested that they look at this VW information (which is for the T5... but in the vein hope that it might focus minds):

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.c...achment.file/_complete_winter_wheels_2015.pdf

The response : 'that's for the German market, not for the UK' I have now asked VWCS to write to me and explain how the wheel assembly and other relevant parts of the German spec vehicle differ from the UK vehicle (I would be amazed if they do) hoping that the act of writing a letter might finally make them see sense!

At the moment I am assuming that I will be putting 215/55 R17s on my 17" Devonports with a load rating of 103 or higher..? I am assuming that this will allow me to run with snow chains when they are needed. I would be grateful for any reassurances from T5 owners.

Unbelievable! Do they not know that people in the UK travel to Europe. That we even get snow here sometimes. I will be asking my dealer on Friday about all weather tyres as that appears to be a problem as well. I will post his answer. I am assuming it is still not an option on an Ocean 4Motion or have I missed a change in this?

By pass VWCS.

If you feel you need winter tyres then go to a dealer, not necessarily VW, who knows what you need and works.

Our forum partners, BMVS, supplied mine, works well, definitely police approved (long story) and have kept me safe and secure.

Thanks Oli :D

No problem with winter tyres and chains. 17" steel wheels with same profile and load rating as normal tyres. 180 4Motion.
Bags of clearance for the chains.
I deliberately didn't go for alloys as the salt will attack them and some chains have loops across the front of the wheel which would scratch or gouge the alloy.

You can just see the chains on the front. Back up set in the van for the rears but didn't need them.
Our set came with our previous Cali and they were supplied by the dealer to the original owner at the time of purchase so VW are talking the proverbial mens bits.

I had the 18" Toluca with nokian winter tyres, plus snow chains. No problem.

Many thanks for your comments and advice, which I will follow up. VWCS called again today promising an email by the middle of next week - should be entertaining!

No problem with winter tyres and chains. 17" steel wheels with same profile and load rating as normal tyres. 180 4Motion.
Bags of clearance for the chains.
I deliberately didn't go for alloys as the salt will attack them and some chains have loops across the front of the wheel which would scratch or gouge the alloy.

You can just see the chains on the front. Back up set in the van for the rears but didn't need them.
Our set came with our previous Cali and they were supplied by the dealer to the original owner at the time of purchase so VW are talking the proverbial mens bits.
Blimey....is that really you in the picture, looks like your on another planet :Nailbiting
That's what I call "pushing the boundaries"
Fantastic photo :thumb

Alan

My 180 was supplied in the UK with winter tyres (M&S) from new.

My 180 was supplied in the UK with winter tyres (M&S) from new.

They are not the same as 'Snow' tyres though right? It's confusing I think. I have M+S tyres too but not sure I would rely on them in the Alpes.

Saying that only ever needed chains in the Alpes once over the last 15 years.

M&S stands for mud and snow. Yours are possibly all season tyres for use in summer and winter. They should have a snowflake symbol on them which is the legal bit for using them abroad during the winter. In some countries I believe you must still have chains as well. There are "snow" or "winter" tyres available which should really only be used in temperatures below 7degrees as the compound is softer which means quicker wear but the grip on ice and snow is excellent.

We fitted Continental Winter Vanco2 winter tyres to our 180 cali, correct size is 215/60 R17 these fit the standard VW alloys which would normally take a 235*55*R17 summer tyre. Last year we paid £585 for the set incl VAT (tyres only)

We're living near the Alps in France and have a T5 all motion 180 automatic. Bought steel wheels from VW, but bought 235/55/R17 winter tyres off the internet to save money. I just assumed that tyre sizing should be the same as for summer. Then I read the manual (for France). This tyre sizing is not mentioned when it comes to compatability for snow chains. Garage wouldn't tell us what size winter tyre to have either (though they were lining up to sell us winter tyres as one point, so they must have had something in mind). Interestingly, it's clearly marked in the French brochure that despite being all motion, snow chains should only be used on the front in any case.

Long story short, think we'll try without snowchains given all motion. Fingers crossed. But would be interested to hear from anyone who had both all motion and winter tyres and got themselves into trouble.

We have already had notification that our ordered 204 4Motion California Ocean has a confirmed build week of 4/1/16. I have been following the discussion about winter tyres, all weather tyres, snow chains and socks with interest and asked our dealer what sort of tyres come as standard on the 204 4Motion. I was told he was "pretty sure" that the vehicles come with all weather tyres as standard. Does anyone know for certain what tyres are fitted?

Comments and any further information would be appreciated

My T5, delivered in Dec 2014 had Summer tyres.

We have already had notification that our ordered 204 4Motion California Ocean has a confirmed build week of 4/1/16. I have been following the discussion about winter tyres, all weather tyres, snow chains and socks with interest and asked our dealer what sort of tyres come as standard on the 204 4Motion. I was told he was "pretty sure" that the vehicles come with all weather tyres as standard. Does anyone know for certain what tyres are fitted?

Comments and any further information would be appreciated
Expect summer tyres. All season tyres won't become an option until the end of January (i.e. After yours and mine build dates) I'm going to get a set of steels with winters for next year and use the alloys for the summer

We picked up our T6 Ocean last week. It has Bridgstone Turanza ER300 summer tyres. VWCS (see my initial post) finally saw sense and confirmed that snow chains are fine but on 215/60 R17 tyres.

Anyone seen the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres? Getting rave reviews as a tyre that does Tarmac and snow very effectively; not sure if they come load rated for a Cali yet though.

pje, did your new Ocean come with the 215/60 R17 tyres? The Nov price list is still silent on what tyres are fitted as standard.

pje, did your new Ocean come with the 215/60 R17 tyres? The Nov price list is still silent on what tyres are fitted as standard.
It says unspecified; you'd think we'd be "allowed" to know given the large chunk we are spending.

On our BMW the tyres are critical to how well it grips and rides (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) and probably helped sell the car to many. It would be very handy to know what we will get; our 180 4motion came with Dunlop Sports; a bit silly on a 4wd van!

WolfPack. 235s on the Ocean as standard.

WolfPack. 235s on the Ocean as standard.
Thanks pje. I am rather hoping to find 216/60s on the T6 Ocean 150 I have on order. I think it is a case of 'wait and see'.