Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyres

N

Neil Bennett

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any winter tyre recommendations? I live in Scotland, so feeling like they may be necessary as severe winter predicted.

Thanks,

Neil

B9D60AD9-16B8-4EB5-9B89-C936FD66E632.jpeg C9674305-3E55-456D-84C7-F4DAE4F8C4DF.jpeg

Hi Neil,

I’m traveling around Norway just now so I may be qualified to answer.

I bought an unused set of wheels on this forum and had a set of Yokahoma Iceguard stud 235/55/R17 103T IG55 Extra Load fitted in Norway.

They’ve been good. I drove straight out of my overnight spot with no spinning in the photo above. I have had one scare on a corner where I drifted a bit at 50-60 kph at a place that looked less icy than the rest of the road. I suspect it was very thin black ice. It was sobering and a reminder that they’re not infallible. I hate to think what would have happened with lesser tyres. Good luck.

David

Thanks David,

Wow, that's extreme :)

Don't think I'll be going anywhere too demanding so the studs won't be necessary. I have been looking at Yokohama tyres however.

best,

Neil

Some places studs are illegal and some places mandatory in periods. So while worth to look into if going around.

This year many tests point towards the Dunlop Winter Sport 5 as the overall winner. I have no personal reference, but for Denmark where weather can wary much thru the winter, that would be my choice.

If further north, I would probably go for studded tyres if allowed. If further south maybe an All-Season tyre would do well enough … In other words, it is so personal what to take. Mostly it depends on where you will use it.