Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyres?

An alternative 225/60/17 tyre (the gearing should actually put the speedo reading spot on) which is a cheap brand might suit.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/duraturn/mozzo-stx/225-60-r17-103v-590517
I'm a bit wary of cheap brands because of a couple of bad experiences. But I shall have to change my wheel size (probably) and I hadn't thought about the speedo issue! I take it this can be dealt with my a workshop that can plug in the right sort of computer?

Oh and I get Error 404 from your link!

I'm a bit wary of cheap brands because of a couple of bad experiences. But I shall have to change my wheel size (probably) and I hadn't thought about the speedo issue! I take it this can be dealt with my a workshop that can plug in the right sort of computer?

Oh and I get Error 404 from your link!
I guess it is the easiest way to ask your workshop about tires and here are a lot of good ideas/brands mentioned.

Winter is coming!! Just replaced my first set of winter tyres from Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme to Quatrac Pro after 4 years.

These have an asymmetrical pattern so no need to worry about direction when fitting. It was always a risk with the spare if the wrong side got a puncture. Fortunately I didn’t get one.

Previous tyres performed brilliantly so I have high hopes for these.

Anyone else use these tyres?

Load Index

102 is the Load Index, what this means is, the tyre is capable of carrying weight up to, 850kg per tyre The T and H are speed Ratings, this indicates that a tyre is capable of speeds up to, 118 mph and 130 mph (respectively). So 3400 kg total, Last time I had my Cali on the brake rollers the front end weight was approximately 1700kg and the rear was 1500kg , So a 102 load index would be ok and a speed rating T is up to 118mph.
C rating is for commercial and the California is not a commercial, Thats why it’s a class 4 MOT , If it was a commercial it would be a class 7 MOT,
It can be very confusing.

Winter is coming!! Just replaced my first set of winter tyres from Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme to Quatrac Pro after 4 years.

These have an asymmetrical pattern so no need to worry about direction when fitting. It was always a risk with the spare if the wrong side got a puncture. Fortunately I didn’t get one.

I’ve got Goodyear , I think these are the best 4 seasons for my needs , although the wear of yours does come out better and the wet handling appears fabulous . I wanted excellent all round and especially snow performance, horses for courses it seems ...

3c04247e63877bab3aa23af47620b08a.jpg

08d16e3887af290eec3ea021b41b35d1.jpg

Continental Winter or Vancontact (?) 16", not the cheapest however they do last long - only my impression.

3c04247e63877bab3aa23af47620b08a.jpg

08d16e3887af290eec3ea021b41b35d1.jpg

Continental Winter or Vancontact (?) 16", not the cheapest however they do last long - only my impression.
The black steel rims look good. Did you just spray them yourself?

Literally ordered yesterday a full set of winter wheels. Went for Ronal56 bicolor, with Bridgestone Blizzak LM005 in 235/55 r17 103v XL. These Ronals wheels are one of the very few that allow snow chains on 235 tyres

Yes we had some. Very good IMO.

Just take a set of chains for emergency use. Stow them under the driver's seat and leave them there 365/365. Just familiarise yourself with how to put them on first.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
You can't generally use chains with the standard 17in summer tyres as the chain can hit the suspension.

Hi all, we’re off up to Scotland in a few weeks. We need to replace our front tyres anyhow - any thoughts on whether we need winter tyres? (We don’t have 4wd) Or generally any thoughts on what tyres to put on if winter ones aren’t necessary. And be great to hear people’s experiences of driving about in Scotland at this time of year!

I have a 2 wheel drive Ocean & one of our friends has the 4 motion version. We had a chance, after a Meet in Dorset when "The Beast from the East" came in, to try them out together. His vehicle was on standard tyres I was on winter tyres. His observation was that I seemed to have a lot more grip with 2 wheel drive than his 4 wheel drive did. This short film may help convince you.

I have a 2 wheel drive Ocean & one of our friends has the 4 motion version. We had a chance, after a Meet in Dorset when "The Beast from the East" came in, to try them out together. His vehicle was on standard tyres I was on winter tyres. His observation was that I seemed to have a lot more grip with 2 wheel drive than his 4 wheel drive did. This short film may help convince you.
Yep. But then you can have 4x4 and winter tyres...;)

Yep. But then you can have 4x4 and winter tyres...;)

Which is what I have now or at least almost as I now have Michelin Cross Climate + . @SimonB’s Cali was far more sure footed and I switched from summer to the cross climates at the next opportunity. I do though live in the South West.

Mike