Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Winter tyres?

P

Peg and Moo

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, we’re off up to Scotland in a few weeks. We need to replace our front tyres anyhow - any thoughts on whether we need winter tyres? (We don’t have 4wd) Or generally any thoughts on what tyres to put on if winter ones aren’t necessary. And be great to hear people’s experiences of driving about in Scotland at this time of year!

Hi all, we’re off up to Scotland in a few weeks. We need to replace our front tyres anyhow - any thoughts on whether we need winter tyres? (We don’t have 4wd) Or generally any thoughts on what tyres to put on if winter ones aren’t necessary. And be great to hear people’s experiences of driving about in Scotland at this time of year!
Just take a set of chains for emergency use. Stow them under the driver's seat and leave them there 365/365. Just familiarise yourself with how to put them on first.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi Peg and Moo,

Firstly a warm welcome to the forum :welcome

If you look through the threads in this section you will find considerable discussion regarding winter tyres and what tyres to fit.

Regarding Scotland in Winter, well, broadly speaking I would personally say minimum MnS, preferably winter tyres as conditions, even in good years, can change very quickly. I have been to Scotland for the last three years in Winter and whilst I tend to get off beaten tracks as much as possible I would not go without at least a set of all season tyres, and certainly in 2015 I would not have gone very far with anything less.

Regarding fitting winter tyres, it is not considered to be good practice to cross-fit, all four wheels should have winter's on them, not just two.

I am in a bit of a research state myself, this is the first year I have not fitted winter tyres as a general rule on any of my vehicles but I am running with MnS - all season tyres, so interested to see how they handle snow, which no doubt I will experience before arriving back home next Tuesday :D

I have the following Winter Tyres that were above excellent in Austria this year:

Kumho WinterCraft WP71 255/45R18 103V XL

I appreciate mine are 18" but I am sure they do other 16"/17" sizes. Good combination of Performance/Wear/Price.

I have the following Winter Tyres that were above excellent in Austria this year:

I appreciate mine are 18" but I am sure they do other 16"/17" sizes. Good combination of Performance/Wear/Price.
Thanks for all these great and quick replies

Yes you correct in soft fresh snow ATR tyres are just as effective. It's on Cold/Icy/slippery roads that Winter tyres come into their own as the softer more flexible compound & sypes are designed to give much better grip.

I've gone for the all year tyre option although I'll put the summer tyres back on for summer months in France.
Nokian Weatherproof, snow rating but designed for all year use. From that you could use them permanently in UK.
Photo of comparison to Dunlop summer tyre.

20180107_101746[1].jpg

Yes they have the Winter Sypes and chunky block edge that make the difference on ice.

Nokians are a great tyre imo.

I am on all season at present, Michelins, but Nokians are winter derived so possibly better compound for snow.

If you´ve got the cash and room to spare get a set of
steel wheels with winter tyres.
If you´ve no room to store them go for all weather tyres.
Or just take some chains or snow socks with you.

I was eventually defeated by room. My spare set of rims had to go.

Socks though is a wonderful compromise, have a pair with me now, no weight, really no space, and "a get me out of jail" card

Kwik fit have a tyre hotel facility which is specifically for customers to store wheels with summer / winter tyres. They obviously charge for the service (I dont know the charges) however I wouldn't be surprised if this option is more widespread than just kwik fit.

My son in law has 'all terrain' tyres on his Defender and I've been hunting for some for the Cali but haven't been able to find them with the right weight rating. I'm thinking of these for all year round as most of my camping is in English summer in wet fields and I've been stuck once and nearly stuck a couple of times.

Would winter tyres do the same job on wet grass (I'm very unlikely to be driving on snow) ?

My son in law has 'all terrain' tyres on his Defender and I've been hunting for some for the Cali but haven't been able to find them with the right weight rating. I'm thinking of these for all year round as most of my camping is in English summer in wet fields and I've been stuck once and nearly stuck a couple of times.

Would winter tyres do the same job on wet grass (I'm very unlikely to be driving on snow) ?

Gran

I had all season MnS tyres on mine, admittedly a 4 motion, and in 2014 especially drove through some fearsome muddy spots and never got stuck once.

Try used to be called MnS for their ability in Mud and Snow,.

All Terrain would be noisy on a cali I suspect,

Edit: I am about to write a review on 1,000 miles with Michelin Cross Climate and currently sat in Alfie in a sea of mud :shocked

Gran

I had all season MnS tyres on mine, admittedly a 4 motion, and in 2014 especially drove through some fearsome muddy spots and never got stuck once.

Try used to be called MnS for their ability in Mud and Snow,.

All Terrain would be noisy on a cali I suspect,

Edit: I am about to write a review on 1,000 miles with Michelin Cross Climate and currently sat in Alfie in a sea of mud :shocked
Thanks, I'll have a google..

Everything said I‘d like to add that I change to winter tyres not because of the snow rather than the temperatures. Maybe marketing but the mixture of the materials is different for (softer?) winter tyres than.
Some intel here: https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/tyre-guide/tyre-knowledge/difference-summer-and-winter-tyres

+1

Winter tyres are not just for snow, they are designed to work in a difference temperature range. Likewise, having 4motion certainly helps in the snow...but if you have summer tyres on your 4motion all that will happen is all 4 wheels spin instead of 2.

In Germany/Austria/Hungary (and I'm sure many other places) tyre shops will look after your spare set of wheels and tyres - as I think someone else mentioned, the Tyre Hotel ;)

Is this not offered in the UK yet?

The main reason behind this is it's the law to have winter tyres during the winter, you have a crash during the winter with summer tyres fitted...your fault no matter the circumstances! In most cases your insurance is also invalidated.

I am using Goodyear Vector All Season generation 2, these have full winter rating , perform almost as good in the tests as a full winter tyre, better than Michelin Cross Climates in every test I’ve seen , but not so good as those in the heat of summer ... about as good as the Nokian all seasons in the winter , both Nokian and Goodyear are all season tyres with full winter rating / winter bias . The advantage I think is these can be used safely and economically through Autumn and Winter and Spring and if you wish , depending where you might drive in summer ( me Southern Europe) change to summers then

The tyres grip is fabulous.

Best other bit is I got driving carefully last week 41 mpg on these tyres !

I have a set if MnS tyres for winter and got stuck in the mud and needed towing off the field in Wales. I thought they would do better but not so.

4e27365bdff014e58e98114e95bfe51b.jpg

Always winter tyres even in Munchen

An alternative 225/60/17 tyre (the gearing should actually put the speedo reading spot on) which is a cheap brand might suit.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/duraturn/mozzo-stx/225-60-r17-103v-590517

Hi, I am interested to know if you have ever used chains with that width of tyre.