Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

WINTER WHEEL SET - THANKS TO BMVS

B

Bearonwheels

I am a regular reader of this forum even if I do not own a California. This post is just to say a big thank you to BMVS and Oli for great advice and great service in sorting a set of winter wheels and tyres for my VW camper. He was the only one who called me back from - two VW dealers, one local and one not, never did. So thanks Oli - you are a star!

Thanks.

They should be with you in the next couple of days. Happy to quote anyone else for winter tyres or a complete setup :thumb

I have been trying to send pm's via this site and a complete failure ... :D

Oli, I would love a quote, take one lot off, put another lot on. I am planning a scottish and Nordic winter season, I really would like to be able to get home :)

I've got your messages. I'll send some prices over on Monday :)

Hi GrannyJen,
Its worth cultivating a relationship with your local tyre shop. I always buy my replacement tyres from them and when I want to switch to my winter wheel set, they do it for free!
(And they are part of a national chain too!)

I store my unused wheels (summer or winter) in the garage but a word of warning - they are filthy things when they are taken off! So grab something like kitchen gloves (or the nitrile gloves that mechanics use) before handling them. Clean them with proper wheel cleaner (brake dust and a damp garage are a great mix for corrosion), dry them and put them away. Canadian friends of mine swear by wheel bags (which you can buy on the 'bay) but I don't bother. The only good thing is you don't have to lift them..you can just roll them!

(Or maybe you can persuade a garage to store them for you - thats a service I understand Porsche offer their clients!).

Enjoy the smug feeling of rolling up and down snowy hills whilst the rest are sliding around!

I run winter tyres all year round, they are great on wet grass and mud too, perfect for British campsites [WINKING FACE]

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
I've got your messages. I'll send some prices over on Monday :)

Cheers Oli :D

Albert now has nice winter shoes to look forward to

They should be with us Monday/Tuesday at the latest :thumb

I'm not sure of either the legality or safety of running winter tyres year round. In the event of an accident your insurance company may be less than supportive. I certainly inform my insurers when I swap over. In summer the tyres will have a longer braking distance than summer tyres and are less effective in rain due to the difference in sipe patterns. In Portugal they are illegal - full stop. Most winter tyre manufacturers are clear that they should NOT be used in summer - I find mine get 'spongy' over about 12C.

If you want to run one set of rubber year round and want to get around in winter use all season tyres. And if you need to mud plug across British campsites get some mud tyres - noisy as anything on the road but you will pull out of anything!

I am looking into winter tyres. It seems some manufacturers suggest they are a good tyre to use year round if they are your only set. Here is one example from Continental:

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 08.07.25.png

An M+S tyre is a good one to use all year round, its an all season tyre, with the all important snowflake, for use in certain countries in Europe, to stay legal in the winter. For the 17" wheels, VW use the Goodyear Vector, which is an excellent tyre, and certainly the best of both worlds.

Personally I would have two sets, and swap them over, in the long run you will save money on tyres doing it this way.

:thumb

Thats interesting…and maybe problematic in some cases. If winter tyres have shorter stopping distances below 7c, I guess they have longer ones in the summer…

If winter tyres are all season tyres then fine, but the Consumers Association in the UK in it's tests found them to perform less well all round - not as good as either a winter or summer tyre in either season.

The use of winter tyres is illegal in Portugal (maybe Spain too but I can't remember)… so I'll stick with 2 sets knowing that I have done everything possible to make sure I can stop in the shortest possible distance.

There are enough challenges on the road without adding another one - anyway my winter wheel set from BMVS goes on next week before I turn east to Germany!

I have opted for Winter even though I have all season.

I will wear out at least two sets of tyres in the time I expect to keep Albert and in any case I will be taking Albert to Sweden in their winter when winter tyres are mandatory for Swedish registered cars.

I know he is Albert, and not Albrecht, but even so if the swedes prefer you to have winter tyres and I intend doing 2,500 miles on their roads then I do want to keep on the right side of being nice if anything goes wrong.

Well they are on and Oli they look great!

All set for winter and my next trip to Europe!

Excellent, glad you are pleased :thumb

Well the winter wheel set had a major outing to Germany before Christmas and have also done a trip to the north of England - comfortable, quiet and still looking good! Many thanks to Oli!

Bearonwheels said:
Well the winter wheel set had a major outing to Germany before Christmas and have also done a trip to the north of England - comfortable, quiet and still looking good! Many thanks to Oli!

nice one ..are they lots of money these wheels & tyres ?