Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wire rack thing in fridge

J

Jennydddd

VIP Member
I've just been looking at some photos of can storage and noticed that Grannyjen has removed the wire rack from the fridge. Does anyone else do this? It always really annoys me so I'm considering copying and just packing everything into 2 boxes.

helps keep our delicate veggies away from the freezing walls and base if temp set to more than number 2 on control panel. We keep it in place and still use plastic tubs stacked inside and also 2 slim freezer packs just in case.

We like it for keeping cheese, sandwich meat and delicate yogurts away from all the bottles :shocked milk, fruit juice and wine... Also keep quorn, veggie saus, halloumi etc under neath it. Great for bringing stuff back in from the fridge too :thumb

I've got rid of it,

It's like a bad tooth,

enjoyed eating with it but better off without it.

The mechanics of the fridge, as John Towers so eloquently explained it, are simple. Cold air sinks. Stuff on the bottom freezes, mid place chilled, top place cool. I use 3 plastic boxes that stacked in leave just enough space for a 500ml bottle of water on top and two half bottles of wine down the side.

Stuff I want to keep coldest goes in the bottom box, stuff like my mars bars in the mid box and my ever so healthy salads in the top box.

Simples, as that annoying rodent says.

Last edited:
We use it all the time, usually for milk (cartons), butter, cheese, chocolate and all the things you want close to hand.

Underneath it (and there's plenty of space) we keep all the fresh/raw meat, sausages etc we've bought from the nearest farm shop.

All the space in the other half of the fridge is wine (4 bottles) and a bag of cider :)

Salad (and there's very little of that ;) ) goes on top of the wine bottles... it's only a garnish for the meat after all :)

two half bottles of wine
.. crikey, never knew they existed, except in half empty full sized bottles ;)

Worth noting that you really need a little air space in the fridge to allow the movement of cold air or you get a very distinct variation in temperature (10ºC+) between top and bottom. Also the basket, when in it's proper position (towards front of van) allows an airspace adjacent to the thermocouple so that the unit can control the temperature properly. (I wouldn't stack tupperware against this...)

Still, each to their own, for their own reasons.

HTH

Mark

Last edited:
I've just been looking at some photos of can storage and noticed that Grannyjen has removed the wire rack from the fridge. Does anyone else do this? It always really annoys me so I'm considering copying and just packing everything into 2 boxes.
I take it out. Wife puts it back. I take it out. Wife puts it back. Etc, etc etc ....

• you really need a little air space in the fridge to allow the movement of cold air or you get a very distinct variation in temperature (10ºC+) between top and bottom.
  • Also the basket, when in it's proper position (towards front of van) allows an airspace adjacent to the thermocouple so that the unit can control the temperature properly. (I wouldn't stack tupperware against this...)
Two very noteworthy remarks! Makes a lot of difference to the fridge's efficiency and hence power use when on battery!

We use it all the time, usually for milk (cartons), butter, cheese, chocolate and all the things you want close to hand.

Underneath it (and there's plenty of space) we keep all the fresh/raw meat, sausages etc we've bought from the nearest farm shop.

All the space in the other half of the fridge is wine (4 bottles) and a bag of cider :)

Salad (and there's very little of that ;) ) goes on top of the wine bottles... it's only a garnish for the meat after all :)

Worth noting that you really need a little air space in the fridge to allow the movement of cold air or you get a very distinct variation in temperature (10ºC+) between top and bottom. Also the basket, when in it's proper position (towards front of van) allows an airspace adjacent to the thermocouple so that the unit can control the temperature properly. (I wouldn't stack tupperware against this...)

HTH

Mark

Yes, I understand that, why I always have that space, kept there by the aforementioned bits stuffed down the side. Years of living with inadequate wet wall fridges have taught me that lesson!

I just find it far more convenient, as you say, each to their own. I could never find what I wanted when using the basket, normally what I needed most had rolled or shifted to somewhere underneath the basket meaning everything else had to be shuffled about to get to it.

I also, on my last trip, did not want an even temperature. I was taking frozen stuff to the South of France but wanted liquid milk on the way :D To my great surprise, being totally a technical dumbo, the principle of cold air sinking worked ever so well. Probably a complete fluke but then a result is a result!

Some interesting thoughts there, thanks very much. I think our basket might have always been in the wrong position!

Some interesting thoughts there, thanks very much. I think our basket might have always been in the wrong position!
Through reading this forum i found out that ours was also positioned wrong whiich stops the lid closing properly.....

I bought a second wire thingy which fits next to the original wire thing. Works well for me,

I'd like it more if it was easier to take out!

Without the rack thingy (in our previous Westfalia T4) we found that the bottom of the fridge got all wet with condensation and so all the chocolate and cheese and things got soggy..... Nasty. So, when we saw the rack thingy in our new van we were chuffed and we no long have quite the same sogginess problem.
Incidentally, I did try to take it out once but could not manage it without removing the lid of the fridge. How did you do it Jen? Must have been a struggle.

I just lifted it out :oops:

Now, an odd thing, I used to get a soggy bottom ... er ..... rephrase that, my bottom of the fridge used to get soggy, until I broke all the rules about airflow and things and put my plastic boxes in. Now no problems with condensation ...

I could think of a long technical explanation why but then I'm an Historian and to my knowledge Nelson did not have a wine chiller on HMS Victory.

Now, an odd thing, I used to get a soggy bottom ... er ..... rephrase that, my bottom of the fridge used to get soggy, until I broke all the rules about airflow and things and put my plastic boxes in. Now no problems with condensation ...

I could think of a long technical explanation why but then I'm an Historian and to my knowledge Nelson did not have a wine chiller on HMS Victory.
Didn't they drink Madeira in those flat bottomed glass decanters

Indeed ...Viinho di Roda ... wine that had made the round trip to the colonies and back

It also kicked of the American revolution, the seizure of the Liberty and it's cargo of Madeira over unpaid duty ...

Thomas Jefferson loved it...

I have it on good authority that the first draft of the Declaration of Independence included

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Madeira";

Honest :oops:

Incidentally, I did try to take it out once but could not manage it without removing the lid of the fridge.
The rack is shaped on one side to enable it to be removed, have a look. If you can't get in in ( :D ) turn it round 180° and put it in the other way, it should slide in easily.

( .... chuffed 'cos I found the ° character :) )

And I thought that it was the pursuit of Country Music.........
Hot here by the way, in the van on a very French site on the bank of the Ardeche

I was in the Cevenne three weeks ago, too hot to do anything except get shot at in Pezenas

I was in the Cevenne three weeks ago, too hot to do anything except get shot at in Pezenas
Yes, read about that Jen. The wonders of modern technology got you a gold star from the rozzers too.
Nasty about the shooters....... They weren't hunters I suppose?!!

Colder this morning but just had my baguette and marmalade (weird I know) for breakfast sitting outside.

The rack is shaped on one side to enable it to be removed, have a look. If you can't get in in ( :D ) turn it round 180° and put it in the other way, it should slide in easily.

( .... chuffed 'cos I found the ° character :) )
Thanks motorcyclist but, as you probably read I don't want to mess about with the fridge too much at the moment, (Mrs DavidofHook will not be happy Either). Getting it out that was the problem but we are happy with it now any way. No soggy bottoms!

Methinks Horatio "Dangled"...this is a little known nautical term for keel-hauling your flagon of wine beneath the hull from the bow to the stern. Once it reached the stern of Victory it was perfectly chilled...and so was Horatio!...Ahoy.

HTH

Mark

We seem to have a problem of lots of condensation in the fridge and yes, the basket is towards the rear of the van in the fridge. Might dry it out and move the wire rack more forward. Could this really make that much difference to condensation build up...?

Back