Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Wires from engine compartment

Lights

Lights

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi, I'm trying to feed wires to an accessory switch, but cannot seem to find any locations in the bulkhead where this would be possible. Has anyone managed this? Thanks for your time

If you take out the starter battery, you will see the cable for opening the bonnet. I think underneath there is a hole with a rubber plug you can get through. I have installed my towbar electrics through there to connect to the starter battery. Oh, and I also pulled a wire through for the DRL that was in my headlights, but not connected?
It must have been a year before it became obligated. And as I had the bulbs ready I thought, why not?

If you take out the starter battery, you will see the cable for opening the bonnet. I think underneath there is a hole with a rubber plug you can get through. I have installed my towbar electrics through there to connect to the starter battery. Oh, and I also pulled a wire through for the DRL that was in my headlights, but not connected?
It must have been a year before it became obligated. And as I had the bulbs ready I thought, why not?
Many thanks, i did move battery but didnt take it out. So close ! Lol
I will try that tomorrow thanks :)

Hi again, I've found the bonnet release cable, but did you find the grommet from inside the cab? Cheers
20191021_165130.jpg

If I remember correctly, there must be a grommet under the black cable you see here on the right side of the picture.
To be sure, you can lift up the carpet on the left side (when in vehicle). Then you might be able to see a possibility to get outside.

If I remember correctly, there must be a grommet under the black cable you see here on the right side of the picture.
To be sure, you can lift up the carpet on the left side (when in vehicle). Then you might be able to see a possibility to get outside.
I didn't want to start pulling stuff around till i double checked . I'll give it ago. I would have used the grommet next to the fan, but realised its a drain from the roof .
Thanks again

There is no problem of lifting the carpet away from the footwell. It is very flexible and easy to pull back and to put back again.

Maybe you could take a picture with flash from the outside behind the battery to see if there is a grommet?
It might be hard to see just like that.

Could you not just tap into a fuse behind the bottle holder?

Could you not just tap into a fuse behind the bottle holder?
Good idea, but that means a lot of trim to be taken off, plus the fuse holder is not that easy to fold away to get access to.
Then I'd rather take a connection on the fuse holder under the left seat. Meaning you attach whatever you want to feed from the leisure batteries. If that is no problem for you of course.

There is another grommeted hole below the steering column. You can reach it, feel it, but not see it. However, it is possible to get a cable through there to appear behind the carpet (you can see it from inside) behind the foot pedals.

I ran the CanBus cables for the tow bar electrics from the engine battery through this once they had been secured above the engine by the bulkhead.

Then it's simple to run the cable to wherever you want to behind the dash.

Alan

There is no problem of lifting the carpet away from the footwell. It is very flexible and easy to pull back and to put back again.

Maybe you could take a picture with flash from the outside behind the battery to see if there is a grommet?
It might be hard to see just like that.
Hi again, you were spot on about the grommet, all i had to do was loose more skin off my knuckles!
Thanks again

You are welcome.

And do you thank me for your lost skin or the finding of the grommet?

You are welcome.

And do you thank me for your lost skin or the finding of the grommet?
Finding the grommet, skin is all VW!

This was not the purpose of the wire saga, but while i had it all out i thought why not. :Grin20191102_120429.jpg

Back