Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Witter ZX502 two-bike rack

Strong

Strong

Chris & Karen
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just had my Witter detachable tow bar fitted. As part of the package, I ordered a Witter ZX502 two-bike rack.

In short, I'm delighted.

It will take two 20kg bikes (enough for an e-bike with the battery taken off) and it's a quality piece of kit, with chunky levers, easy-to-follow signposting all over it showing you what order to flip and switch the various twiddlies. When you flip it down to open the tailgate, it's really neat. It also easily clears itself and the first bike (very easily indeed). It's got little wheels too so it can be trundled along if you can't/don't want to tuck it under your arm and heft it.

I won't bore you any further if you're not interested but anyone who wants more details just ask away ...

Recommended.

Just had my Witter detachable tow bar fitted. As part of the package, I ordered a Witter ZX502 two-bike rack.

In short, I'm delighted.

It will take two 20kg bikes (enough for an e-bike with the battery taken off) and it's a quality piece of kit, with chunky levers, easy-to-follow signposting all over it showing you what order to flip and switch the various twiddlies. When you flip it down to open the tailgate, it's really neat. It also easily clears itself and the first bike (very easily indeed). It's got little wheels too so it can be trundled along if you can't/don't want to tuck it under your arm and heft it.

I won't bore you any further if you're not interested but anyone who wants more details just ask away ...

Recommended.
Quite amazed that you can open the tailgate.
I've got 3 Thule ones none of which allow the tailgate to open. If the tailgate had been to the bumper top (as per the sides) then yes but with the cut out no.

I like that. I wonder if the others racks in the range clear the tailgate as well. Should do. Very innovative. Like the folding action and the wheels.

Here is the thing ...

IMG_0303.JPG

Tailgate easily clears the rack and the closest mounted bike ...

IMG_0309.JPG

Smart job ...

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Edit: just wanted to add that neither the rack nor the bike is on the ground

Sorry couldn't upload the video. The site doesn't support MOV files from my iPhone.

Sorry couldn't upload the video. The site doesn't support MOV files from my iPhone.
Hi Chris
Would be possible to check the distance from your Witter towball to the bumper? Just wanted to make saw our Westfalia is the same. Also do you think straight handle bars would be clear of the tailgate?

Thanks

Hi Chris
Would be possible to check the distance from your Witter towball to the bumper? Just wanted to make saw our Westfalia is the same. Also do you think straight handle bars would be clear of the tailgate?

Thanks

Hi Les

Sorry for the delay - I've just been out and measured up. Distance between the closest point of the bumper and the centre of the towball is 90mm.

As for your second point, I hope the below photo is helpful. This shows my other half's electric bike on the rack in the slot closest to the van. As I hope you can see, the bars are a country mile away from the door (I've photographed the door at its closest point to the rack here) and unless you had an extraordinarily short bike with five foot wide bars you'll have no problem.

IMG_0364.JPG

Hope this helps,
Chris

Thanks for your time with photo's.
Think I'd better sell my Thule 2 & 3 bike carriers before bringing another one home, but def get one of these as I'd resigned myself to taking bikes off to get tailgate open.

Thanks for your time with photo's.
Think I'd better sell my Thule 2 & 3 bike carriers before bringing another one home, but def get one of these as I'd resigned myself to taking bikes off to get tailgate open.
B J G Have a look at my post #11 above before you do

Hi Les

Sorry for the delay - I've just been out and measured up. Distance between the closest point of the bumper and the centre of the towball is 90mm.

As for your second point, I hope the below photo is helpful. This shows my other half's electric bike on the rack in the slot closest to the van. As I hope you can see, the bars are a country mile away from the door (I've photographed the door at its closest point to the rack here) and unless you had an extraordinarily short bike with five foot wide bars you'll have no problem.

View attachment 21182

Hope this helps,
Chris
Chris
Thanks for the reply and photo. Just measured our towball and its 69mm bumper to centre which is interesting. Trying to see from your photo if 2cm would make a difference, it looks as if it might be OK.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks for the reply and photo. Just measured our towball and its 69mm bumper to centre which is interesting. Trying to see from your photo if 2cm would make a difference, it looks as if it might be OK.

Cheers

Hmmm ... well my boot lid clears by about 25mm, so you should be 'just about' fine! The tech rep at Witter (guy called Fabien) is amazingly helpful and he can talk the fitter through a mod to the grommets if it's touch and go.

Can't fault Witter so far - quality product backed up by a quality team.

I managed to source a nearly new ZX502 for a reasonable price and did a 198 mile round trip to pick it up.
Fortunately I had the option to try it before purchase. The tailgate wouldn't clear it in tilt position, not even nearly.

A closer look at the photo's shows a different towbar to mine, I have a factory fit Westfalia (I believe). with plugin detachment method.
What make towbar is fitted as per the photo? Just curious as no intention to change.

It's a Witter detachable tow bar on mine

Really sorry to hear you had a wasted trip. I'm very surprised it didn't work for you.

At least I have got some more data on towbar bike carrier suitability.
I could have done with some photos of my trial fitment but my phone threw a wobbly and wouldn't take photos.

Looking at your photos I did notice that the vertical bar was much closer to the closed tailgate on mine. So close that I was worried about handlebar clearance. No bike to try.

Centre of my towball top from the bumper is 7cms. What is yours?

Looking like anyone that intends to use a towball mounted bike rack should spec the towing prep. and have the Witter towbar fitted later.

When hitching up a trailer my towball gives little clearance making coupling up a bit nerve racking as it would be very easy to scrape the bumper paint.

At least I have got some more data on towbar bike carrier suitability.
I could have done with some photos of my trial fitment but my phone threw a wobbly and wouldn't take photos.

Looking at your photos I did notice that the vertical bar was much closer to the closed tailgate on mine. So close that I was worried about handlebar clearance. No bike to try.

Centre of my towball top from the bumper is 7cms. What is yours?

Looking like anyone that intends to use a towball mounted bike rack should spec the towing prep. and have the Witter towbar fitted later.

When hitching up a trailer my towball gives little clearance making coupling up a bit nerve racking as it would be very easy to scrape the bumper paint.

In an earlier post I had asked Chris to measure his tow ball to bumper which was 90mm. My Westfalia is 69mm to the centre of the ball. I spoke to Witter who said the only way to confirm is to try one which BJG has done.

Is it possible that the Westfalia bar is the same as fitted to the T5 but the T6 bumper is closer to the ball?
Perhaps someone with a T5 could measure the centre of ball to bumper to check this?

Going for towing prep and then a Witter bar might give more flexibility but as Witter and Westfalia are now part of the same group they could standardise in future.

Sorry missed your previous measurement.
Seems that the 2cms are what makes the difference and confirms my trial fit as it was nearly OK but impossible to get up past the foldable vertical rail.
A bolt on towball would also be OK as you could put the required spacer between the ball and towbar bracket.

Never occurred to me to investigate this issue prior to ordering the Cali.

Back